main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dream book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJaceus, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Felt this thread should be resurrected. Admitedly some of my choices haven't changed but some sort have since things I've wanted answered have been answered in different novels or comics. So with that in mind here are the books or comics I still would like to see and some new ones:

Dooku (Similar to either Plagueis or Tarkin in its structure where either we see the progression of Dooku from his early days to his time in the war like Plagueis or we follow Dooku on a mission with flashbacks detailing his history like Tarkin. I'd open it with Dooku's final moments before being beheaded by Anakin as he thinks back to where his life led him to be at this moment in time. Corey Burton or Mark Thompson could do the audio book. It is sad that Christopher Lee is no longer with us. Giving the narration to what would be the true cannon story and origin for Dooku would have been a fitting closure for him as the character).

Qui-Gon (Again like Dooku a novel detailing his early training under Dooku and then training Obi-Wan. Maybe also see a glimpse into him learning how to become a Force Ghost from the Priestesses and whether the Shaman of the Whills did play a role in teaching him. Pablo immediately doesn't say they are one in the same but he doesn't say they couldn't be either. This could clear that up once and for all but I would say the Shaman still played some role since he was an idea of George's)

Amidala (I've never been the biggest Padme fan but I think that's the fault of the films in their poor characterisation of the character. For me anyway I know she has her fans. I thought she was okay in the Clone Wars and she had potential especially in the kind of role she played but she didn't quite reach it for me and Natalie Portman's performance didn't leave much to be desired. Which is not her fault because I know she can be a good actress it was more down to poor writing and direction. The same thing happened to her in the Thor films I feel. However maybe a solid well written politcal intrigue novel that details parts of her history such as her time of when she was young, how she handelled being a young Queen and transitioning to a Senator and surviving that world and navigating it. Those kinds of stories with her weren't my favourite in the Clone Wars show but I think that format doesn't work as an action packed cartoon it works more as a novel or a film I think but I don't know if anyone wants to see a spin off detailing political intrigue since people didn't care for that in the prequels unless they found a way to make people invested. I don't know it'd be interesting).

Star Wars Underworld (I don't know what's going to happen to these scripts but I'd like to see them revived somehow either as a novel series or a comic book series which I know isn't technically a book but I would say we can speculate for comics unless there is a thread about that on it's own. I'm surprised not many people have taken part in this thread more. I remember keeping up with news on this when I was younger in my earlier days of using the internet and it sounded awesome to me being a kid now as an adult it sounds intriguing especially when some ideas were revealed. If we aren't going to get it on TV or any live action Star Wars show on TV I would like to see these stories)

A detective story (I don't know if there are any cannon detectives in Star Wars but I'd like to see a noir style novel detailing a mystery someone tries to figure out. Kind of like what Star Wars 1313 looked to possibly be doing with its story which I suggested as a movie spin off for Boba with him in the detective role but it'd be nice to have a different character).

Jango (Basically detailing his canon history. I could see some elements from Bounty Hunter being recanonised so long as they don't contradict with main continuity. How he got his armour and why he chose it since he wasn't a Mandalorian, how he met Zam and how he entered Dooku's service etc. You could bring in stuff from Bounty Hunter but stuff like Komari Vosa and Gardulla nearly getting killed wouldn't be there).

Mandalore (Really I'd like to see various eras be it in the Old Republic times, Prequel times with the beginning of Death Watch and how Satine dealt with things as a ruler before and after Obi-Wan arrived into her life again as well as how she and Bo drifted apart, then one during the Rebels timeline which we already teased in Rebels Season 3 I know but maybe not make it about Sabine's family but have them play a role focus on a different warrior clan and their family and then Mandalore's state after Return Of The Jedi. Who's in charge now? Is the political government restored? Who knows)

Kallus (How he was inspired to join the Empire, his early days in the Academy, working under Yularen and again detailing that encounter with Saw and how he lost his crew and also the destruction of the Lassat homeworld. Narrated by David Oyelowo of course).

Palpatine (Admittedly this would be a way for James Luceno if he wrote it to bring all the elements of Darth Plagueis that could still be canon back into canon which he has been doing slowly but surely with the references he threw in Tarkin. But considering Plagueis from what I've read (it's a book I put down and don't spend much time getting to unless I don't have any new books to read since it's non-canon I can take my time with it and get back to it anytime) focused just as much on the origins of Palpatine as much as his master why not just make the book be Palpatine's book with Plagueis as a supporting character? And if you don't want to do something that's full origin since that would rob some of the mystery some feel the character has maybe have the novel set in a time where Palpatine is active and we get flashbacks like Tarkin? Someone suggested a story about him desolving the Imperial Senate and that'd be pretty good and again another idea for a spin off but I don't think anyone would be gunning for it in a theatre setting. Maybe on Netflix or I guess Disney's new streaming service)

Grievous (This could probably serve as a new origin story for him. Have the novel detail his first major battle as a test to prove himself too Dooku as he hunts down a Jedi and their clone unit working with others to do like a Separatist commander who's wary of him but comes to respect and fear him as his backstory is revealed in pieces. I know Lucas had a different idea from what we saw of the Lair of Grievous episode that what was originally said)

An Apocalypse Now style story (This was also maybe an idea I was thinking for a Spin off if they wanted to do one from an Imperial perspective. If Saw were still alive it could have been a good one to do from the Rebel perspective because I could have seen him in the Kurtz role. Where a young officer and an Admiral along with the rest of their fleet and unit are sent to take down a crazed commander who's starting their own war and causing too much trouble and attention for the Empire as we see the horrors and spoils of this conflict and the Clone Wars reflected on. Our young officer grows from being determined but naive in places to being more hardened and devoted to keeping order within the galaxy as our Admiral while remaining devoted to his unit and crew is becoming tired of war having never seen the end of it since the Clone Wars began to now)

Snoke (Okay this one is one that'll have to take awhile in terms of waiting since it'll depend on how much information we get in the Last Jedi and Episode IX but as much as people have joked and speculated I don't think everything about Snoke will be answered. In a way Rian was right in his comparisons to Palpatine because until the Prequels we didn't know where he came from and even there's still stuff unexplored. So Snoke I'm guessing at this point will be the same way and it'll be up to a novel to explain his story)

Okay that's not many new thoughts for books and not many comics but really I just wanted to get the ball rolling again and update my list since my opinions have changed or some ideas would be redundant since I had some of my questions answered in recent books.

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A novel of the ancient republic-Jedi, senators, and colonists of 20,000 BBY.

Legacy era novels-from Cade, Krayt, Marasiah, and others POVs.

Chiss ascendancy novels-explore their culture, politics, and history.

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I still think an Imperial Court palace intrigue book would be great. Just a straight up soap opera with lies and scandals. Of course, to make it palatable to the Rebel-loving mainstream, one of the courtiers is secretly a spy for the Rebellion and trying to infiltrate the inner circle.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Eh I wouldn't like the rebel part, though imperial intrigue and factionalism would interest me greatly.

A Legends imperial palace intrigue would be the best-you have Vader, Pestage, Isard, the Hands, Tarkin, corporate big Whigs from Sienar fleet systems etc... Scheming and plotting trying to win the emperor's approval and favor while undermining their opponents.

Would be an interesting book.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    An interesting SERIES of books.

6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Or how about a Game of Thrones-esque series following the Imperial Warlords as they struggle to take over the Imperial throne after Palpatine's death.

Darth Nave likes this.
  7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Riina Kwaad dominant Tahiri Veila bounty hunter/detective.

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I thought I posted this previously in this thread but I couldn't find it, so apologies if you've heard this before: A Luke novel set between ESB and ROTJ, bridging his character arc between those two films while fitting nicely into the new canon.

With his confidence in both teachers shaken by Vader's revelation, Luke does not return immediately to Yoda but sets out on his own journey to discover the truth, delving into the pasts of both Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker. Along the way he applies the lessons learned from Yoda, becoming a stronger Jedi in the process and building his new lightsaber (in my dream book the deleted ROTJ scene where Luke builds his saber isn't canon, because it's my dream and I can do that). In the end he ends up in Vader's castle on Mustafar and encounters Vanee, and while he doesn't encounter Vader personally or confirm Vader's identity he does discover in some way that a damaged human being, capable of redemption, lives inside the armor.

La Calavera, MrDarth0 and Darth_Duck like this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Nagai Civil War and Darth Nihl's origin story

Palleaon's autobiography

Natasha Daala's memoirs

The history of the Zhell

10. I want a new Darth Plagueis book

11. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Canonize the old one. Don't retread the same ground!

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed-I wouldn't mind a Kibh Jeen novel and his discovery of the Sith survival.

Darth Tenebrous-novel.

A novel of the Sith-Imperial War from the galactic alliance point of view. Show the desperate general's, scheming politicians, the unstable triumvirs. Show how they back the Jedi in the Ossus project and how it leads to their doom.

13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Not possible in its entirety, sorry to say. At best, you could SEMI-canonize the old Plagueis book, because even before the old canon was wiped, the book clashed with what TCW was saying regarding Maul's origins and the Nightsisters. But the political stuff? No problems there. No problems with canonizing Hego Damask or the story of Darth Plagueis' rise or of Darth Tenebrous' before him. No problems with Palpatine's own backstory or his movements during the story, for the most part. You could recanonize, say, 70-80% of the book and harm nothing, either in the old or new canons; you just can't have 100%. But that ain't too bad, though...

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe they could use the newcanon recanonized junior novels as a guideline as to how to edit a Legends book for the newcanon?

Jedi Knight Fett and spicer like this.
  15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Agreed. Darth Plagueis is a classic SW novel, there is no way they can ever replace it with a new novel or comic about Darth Plagueis. There are only two options IMO: edit the novel to fit with the new canon as Iron_Lord suggested, or adapt it on screen (live action movie or TV series, or an animated movie/series). Unless LFL intends to do the latter with Luceno's novel, then they've shot themselves in the foot by de-canonising Plagueis, as it is a very highly regarded book.

16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Have any of you ever read Luceno's short story Restraint? He managed to find a way to make Maul and Ventress's TCW backstories fit into the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This won't be a popular theory, but I'd like a book that's basically an adaptation of the canon Eps. 7-9 done in Legends-verse after Crucible to give closure to Luke, Han, and Leia. Basically in Legends Ep. 7, Jaina aka Kyla Ren turns to the dark side due to the failure of her and Jag's marriage and the lingering trauma from killing Jacen, and kills Luke's new class of Jedi students. Jag goes into hiding with their kids, while Jaina teams up with Snoke who usurps the Empire from Jag. Jaina kills Han when he tries to redeem her, and Luke goes into hiding (after telling his son Ben to run and hide) to find the first Jedi Temple, which isn't on Tython. Jaina forms the Knights of Ren as servants to the Empire now ruled by Snoke. An older Rey, Finn, and Poe (since this takes place circa 45 ABY instead of 34 ABY) lead the search for Luke.

Legends Eps. 8-9 show Luke and Rey rallying the remaining Jedi against Jaina and Snoke, bringing back Jag as the rightful ruler of the Imperial remnant. Jag retakes the Empire and redeems the Knights of Ren recruited by Jaina into the Imperial Knights, since they are now neither Jedi nor darksiders. Since the whole Legends sequel trilogy takes place in the course of a year (like the canon sequel trilogy all seems to be in 34 ABY so far) with the status quo returning (but with Han dead, and Leia and Jaina likely dead depending on how their counterparts in Disney canon fare), these incidents aren't mentioned much in the subsequent Star Wars: Legacy comics.

Disney will probably never do this, but maybe I should write a fanfiction or fan comic depicting this. :p

18. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I want Legacy content as much as anyone, but I'd rather the post-Crucible years be peaceful if not dark. Also, please no dark Jaina. The Organa-Solo legacy can't be too butchered.

Daneira likes this.
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Like I said, this wasn't going to be a popular idea. But I'm beginning to think that a lot of publishing powers in the Star Wars universe (Del Rey, Disney, LFL etc) just want the Heroes of Yavin to suffer as much as possible. Just look what happened to them in TFA. There is one exception where George Lucas said that he envisioned Han and Leia baking burgers or something in an interview.

We know now there will be no big 3 reunion in canon. We know the Organa-Solo legacy is basically butchered in canon. Maybe like Beast theorized in the film 'X-Men: Days of Future Past', if you throw a pebble in the timestream river, the timestream will correct itself. Spoilers for Logan film.
    Mutants are destined to be wiped out despite Logan going back in time and "fixing" it.

I feel Legends, still being a Star Wars property, should honor what the creators' intent for what the characters should face as much as possible (the creator now being Disney). The only way I see otherwise is if George Lucas writes a book detailing his own plans on how the big 3 ended, and this is somehow incorporated into the Legends timeline.

I know George gave an interview saying Han and Leia were happy and baking burgers on a grill. If he was serious about this at one time, then this could equally be a basis for a Legends sequel trilogy (it might be boring. :p )

20. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Why should the EU do something awful just because the NuCanon did it? Should both canons be equally awful? Maybe we should honor the creators intent, but Disney and Abrams didn't create the EU.

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    After what you said, I am rethinking things. Since George did say once that Han, Luke and Leia lived happily after ( http://www.mtv.com/news/1501522/wha...about-jar-jar-star-wars-emperor-lucas-speaks/ ), and his creative rank way outranks anything else in Star Wars (arguably even Disney despite the sale), I'll vote for a sequel trilogy starting with Ep. 7 Han's Barbecue. :)

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Happy stories are boring. Luke, Han, and Leia are the most recognizable characters. So, they can't have peace.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Happy endings aren't boring especially if they are deserved-like in the NJO.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    No. But happy stories are. If a story doesn't have conflict or stakes, it's a boring story, so any ending that stays happy means that the character doesn't get any more meaningful stories.

25. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Maybe Han, Leia and Luke didn't have to be in every flipping post-RotJ story!!! Maybe we should have just left them alone. Let new heroes take the spotlight. Then we could just assume they are doing well somewhere in the galaxy.

Outsourced likes this.