main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, it was certainly a slap to Connor Trinneer, Trip's idiotic death scene, anyone?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

I was kind of okay with Trip's death, I wish it hadn't been ruined by Troi forshadowing it.

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I regret watching it, Brannon.

TX-20, True Sith, CT-867-5309 and 3 others like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    These Are the Voyages kind of works better if you watch it in conjunction with The Pegasus. I mean, like, going full bore act break cut between the episodes. I believe it's TATV opening scene, Pegasus opening scene, and TATV is done before they get stuck in the asteroid field. Yes, Troi and Riker age in between scene is jarring but literally viewing it as an extra long episode addition to Pegasus works.

Besides, I've gone to view Demons / Tera Prime as the true Enterprise finale, and it's actually pretty great. Peter Weller!!! (I no prize that Paxton a descendant of Admiral Marcus meself. Or maybe Marcus is Paxton's clone, he seemed like that much of a jerk)

Actually, it is. Peter David's Imazdi II. Sequel book to his Imzadi. the first one I totally view as canon anyway, gives the most info on Riker/Troi and the Guardian of Forever is in it!

As for Generations griping, well, I do enjoy the movie as it seems the most like a TNG episode (not a great one but a good one) and there are some awesome scenes. But killing Kirk? Nope, nada. Dopey. Bad way to say "the TOS movies are over" by flat out killing him. Shoulda survived and gotten picked up by Bones and Spock. Although, to be fair, the movie bakes in the theme of death quite a lot so at least it's not a thematic cheat.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Actually, there are several books (co-written by Shatner) where Kirk is resurrected. It gets a bit complicated.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I read The Return eons ago, although my gripe isn't bringing Kirk back to life (It's Star Trek, there's hundreds of ways to even get him on Discovery) it's that they killed him in the first place. I find it hard to believe Kirk could die anyway. He cheats death and changes the rules, dammit.

Sarge and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  7. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Kirk is just a human after all.

I admit that I cried when I first saw Kurk's death scene. But I have come to accept it.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Sometimes the ships don't survive the shipping ;). At least I can enjoy it as something the ship was technically capable of doing while I await a replacement (actually the second replacement- the first one arrived with an intact saucer but was missing the deflector dish, heh).

Didn't he say previously that it was intended to be a season finale, not a series finale?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I liked him in Season 1 - 3. Later he became too stern imo. A bit like he and Picard exchanged character traits.

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

That's not weird, though. When people spend a lot of time together, they rub off on each other. It's totally normal.

Darth Caliban and Juliet316 like this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    As Q said, he wasn't like that before the beard. :p

Darth Caliban and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Netflix (the non North American broadcasters of Star Trek: Discovery, although Netflix Canada does have everything except Discovery) just dropped their most-rewatched Star Trek episodes ever. Top 10 are all Voyager and Next Generation. The #1 is kinda surprising, I guess everyone wanted to skip to the end and see how it ended (or rewatch the last 4 minutes when they make it home). But, seriously, 8 of these are Borg-centric, basically. 8! People love the Borg!

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-...re-revealing-star-trek-fans-favorite-episodes

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Who is watching Clues that much?

Time and Again I sorta understand- it's basically a TNG episode and within the early series viewing window for newbies, but still, above so many other episodes? Strange.

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    NOTHING from DS9? Not even In The Pale Moonlight made it to the top ten?

Sarge, TX-20 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Of note, this is a *rewatch* list according to Netflix so maybe people rewatch "Clues" to see if they missed any?

1 through 8 are basically all varying degrees of Borg-centric episodes so that I kinda get. Like I said, people love The Borg!

Voyager S1 E3 also seems like an odd one too, there is a lot of run off from "Caretaker" in there wherein the Maquis and Starfleet are still at odds and adjusting so probably more info dump from the pilot (honestly, I think I watched that episode once. when it was broadcast)

I am downright stumped that TNG classics All Good Things or Yesterday's Enterprise aren't up there.

Sarge, TX-20 and Darth Caliban like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd have thought one of either Sacrifice of Angels (SPAAACESHIPS!), Trials & Tribble-ations (TOS), Way of the Warrior (Worf, Klingons), Duet (early but great), Pale Moonlight (late but great), Jem'Hadar (the "go here to skip the first two seasons" recommendation) or Past Tense (time travel) would have ranked. I mean, I get that "Fan Collectives: The Borg" will edge out pretty much everything else, but still, Clues?!

And, again, with Voyager- Time and Again over Year of Hell or The Killing Game?

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Or Timeless or Equinox, and they kind of cheated on top of that too.They ranked both parts of Endgame and Dark Frontier as one episode each but not Scorpion or BOBW.

18. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    The Gift kind of makes sense I guess, since it directly follows Scorpion. Clues and Time and Again though...what the heck. Not exactly the most well known entries of their respective series.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015

Wonder what would have happened if "Second Chances" was a Season 1 Episode. I guess Riker would have been a lot nicer and more understanding to his "brother".

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Endgame and DF originally aired as a feature-length episode, not as a two-parter, so that's probably the distinction.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No All Good Things?!

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Fuller House is the most-watched show on Netflix. I wouldn't take the popularity of certain episodes too seriously.

TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yeah, but even Kirk should have limits at some point. That for all his cunning and ingenuity, his luck would eventually run out. Besides, Kirk would rather die trying to save the galaxy than as an old man in bed.

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and Darth_Voider like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    His death scene is so weirdly acted in Generations though, and even the writers admitted to this.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Voyager was my frst ST series and I have found memories of it, even if I did not watch the later seasons so I can't comment on them