main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

I'm kind of with you. I am a huge fan of Johnson's, was ecstatic when he was brought onboard but I think we need to see his film before we say he should absolutely stay on. There's a lot that I am excited about but there are a lot of designs (Walkers, Snoke's ship, Praetorians, all of the melee weapons) that I am not loving at all so far. I think overall it is likely that Johnson turns out something special but I'm staying guarded until we at least see more than just a teaser.

2. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    C'mon, nightangel. You know that's not gonna happen.

EDIT: Or is it? It would give the title much more resonance, and it would square with the facts that A) Rian Johnson insists that the film wasn't changed after Fisher's death and B) Episode IX was going to be "Leia's movie."

Now, I'm somewhat unsure on the last point, unless Trevorrow made this statement himself. I have to admit, though, that had Fisher not died, having Luke die in Episode VIII would make loads of sense. The last link to our Star Wars "foundation"--what we grew up with and revered--is the mother of this new dark force. She is perhaps the only way of "connecting" with the new evil.

Also, having Luke die in VIII would force the new heroes to buck up and face the future without their hands being held; training wheels. I honestly still don't see how Luke would fit in the story after Episode VIII (though we obviously don't know anything about IX).

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Well, there's always Force-Ghost Luke.

Luke could very well die in EP: 8 and that's all we (and the characters) see. Rey is still dealt with the notion that she's on her own now. Then "surprise, surprise", Luke shows up in ghost form at the very end to help Rey defeat Snoke in EP:9. Wasn't one of the original drafts in ROTJ about how Yoda and Ben would help Luke, in ghost form, or come back in some actual temporal form, to defeat the Emperor? Or something along those lines. It was changed to the version we got. But the idea could be re-drafted where Luke takes on Snoke in spirit form, while Rey deals with Kylo. Or Rey and Kylo take on Snoke too. Who knows.

Just two cents.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  4. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, I totally agree.

Satipo likes this.
  5. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    if luke dies in 8 then why was MH so pleased with what CT had planned for his character? you'd think he was still alive and performing heroics or something?

i personally think force ghost luke would be magnificent but i'm not going to cheer the idea of killing luke off. so i guess i'm ambivalent.

6. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Mark was pleased with Trevorrow's take on Luke?

Another bullet dodged there. :p

7. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Maybe Mark liked the idea of giving the character a proper ending, and liked the ending they gave him? I don't think Hamill is nearly as attached to Luke as SW fans are.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out the same way Obi-Wan did for the sake of saving Rey, and then coming back as a ghost to help guide her at the end. Wouldn't surprised me if Ep 9 just ends the same way 6 did, with Rey seeing Ghost Luke watching on as everyone comes together at the end either.

8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    unless i have misremembered??? i really need to get better at keeping track of quotes/info if i am going to be repeating it.

9. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    No I believe it. It tracks.

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Given Mark pitched an evil twin of Luke (luuke?!), I think we can maybe say that what he thinks is a brilliant idea may not be laser precise.

11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I think Mark Hamill's on record as saying as much, too

12. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I think that Mark "fundamentally disagreeing" with RJ re Luke was probably a VERY good sign...

13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't know. That sounds like something that would have been profoundly satisfying to me.

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Trevorrow is gone, Deathstick. Any promises about episode 9 being profoundly satisfying went with him.

15. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    Well... his departure was profoundly satisfying for a part of the fandom. So he delivered in that end (pun intended)

16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
  17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Aside from him not doing Episode IX, I especially appreciate the fact that I no longer have to rewatch Jurassic World and Book of Henry as part of my "rewatch movies made by SW directors" project. [face_relieved]

TK327 and cwustudent like this.
  18. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015

Yeah but you now you got to sit through all of Ron Howard's Da Vinci Code films

19. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Felicity Jones is in the third one.

20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Peediction re TLJ marketing:

Rey+Luke emphasis for older demo and Rey+Kylo emphasis for younger demo

21. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

I agree. It challenged Mark to think outside the box with his character. But he's also on record for coming on board with the story once it was told. What's important here is Rian earned Mark's trust. And if Mark trusts and respects him at this point, I have no fears that Rian is going to ruin IX if he's given the helm.

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

[face_plain]

23. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Nah.

Luke will get to finish his arc.

24. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

Schmoes Know / Collider gang talked about this on a podcast yesterday. Take it with a huge salt flat of salt, but supposedly the talk around LA/Hollywood is that TLJ is "pretty ****ing good".

It seems to be getting alot of internal/industry praise and that doesn't surprise me considering Rian has had (beyond losing Carrie) a faultless production.

25. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    IIRC when Trevorrow was still on board he mentioned how he wanted bigger roles in the movie for both Leia AND Luke, which could imply Luke survives TLJ. I personally hope he does because I want to see at least one of the CT leads make it out of this trilogy alive.

EDIT: Also, I'm also hesitant to get behind Rian directing IX 100% until I see TLJ, but I'm fairly confident I'll like it given his track record and the fact that he was the sole writer for the project (which would rectify my main complaint of TFA, which was a lack of a cohesive vision given it was the product of both Ardnt and J.J. & Kasdan as writers).

EDIT 2: I meant DOES survive, not doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.