main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Die Hard 2 (1990) And with this, the utterly ridiculous and stupidly entertaining action movies of the 80s come to an end (and not just because it's 1990.) There are elements of the script that remain pretty serious, and then you have that Col. Stuart practicing martial arts in the buff. I like this one (Franco Nero's slightly OTT cameo not withstanding.) It was just one after another "Are you kidding me?" type of things that Executive Decision would mop the floor with five years later. I always felt the John McClane character was a solid done-in-one, but Willis is entertaining here so I'll concede and just roll with it.

AndyLGR and Sarge like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (2016)

Yeah so the trailers are misleading as ****. It's not a quirky wartime comedy with a hint of darkness like MASH. It's a pretty grim with some humorous undertones sprinkled throughout take on the Forgotten War (capital F, capital W). Tina Fey is great and might be career best, and the supporting cast does a decent job too.

3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Jason Bourne Disappointed by this, its quite pedestrian and not as fast paced as I thought it might be. The stories average with Bourne trying to find out why he was recruited and who killed his father and in turn it becomes a battle of wits of sorts between Bourne his fathers assassin. Matt Damon as usual makes Bourne his own, but even so I struggled to get invested in it. Even the great Tommy Lee Jones can't elevate it, and he just comes across as a Brian Cox clone for me. It almost seems as though they played it safe to bring this franchise back, although I have no idea what the future holds for it.

On seeing DH2 back in 1990 it was a disapointment when compared to the original, I was so looking forward to it and it didn't meet the expectations I put on it, for some reason I thought it was going to be him trapped in an airport terminal unable to get out, but by being less claustrophobic than the original it loses one of the factors what made that one so good. However........ I still really enjoy watching it and time has been kinder as I don't watch it now with the baggage of a still fresh only 2 years old original in my mind like I did in 1990. Its got some really cheesy (maybe unnecessary even) lines and call backs relating to the original, but I think its still a very good action film thats way above a lot of its contemporaries and for me its main downfall is that its the sequel to arguably the best action film ever.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I like Die Hard 2 a lot. For me, it's a movie about the ridiculous moments. You can kind of sum up Die Hard 2 for me with that ejector seat scene, when McClane escapes a huge explosion of grenades by ejecting out of the grounded plane he's in. The camera sits way up there and McClane flies up at the camera, stops right at the perfect spot with the explosion behind him and then slowly starts to fall back to earth. Brilliant action filmmaking. I've seen Die Hard a few times since my first viewing, but I've only seen Die Hard 2 the one time. Probably due a revisit.

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I really liked Die Hard 2 when I saw it , I thought that ending was inspired where he lights the gasoline trail that destroys the plane .
    as time goes by I still like it just not as much , that first plane crash is momentous !

Sarge likes this.
  6. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    damn , again ?

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Not to be pedantic or anything, but it's not gasoline, it's jet fuel, probably Jet-A or Jet-A1, which is basically kerosene plus 11 herbs and spices.

:-B

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Baywatch

That **** was terrible. I heard it was bad, but I just had to find out for myself how bad it was.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It's Baywatch. You actually expected it to be good? :p

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Of course not...:D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Best scene in the Die Hard series? Or best scene in the history of cinema?

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I remember when I saw that on the big screen. I thought it looked more fake than anything since the tank went over the cliff in The Last Crusade.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I'll count that as a vote for "history of cinema."

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    well I can pedantic+1 there : apparently the jet fuel wouldn't burn like that anyway , it would be very slow and wouldn't rush along (I read it in cinefex at the time )

Sarge likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Little Evil on Netflix. lol. I mean, I like Evangeline Lilly. I like Adam Scott. Lord knows I like Clancy Brown. I like horror. I like comedy. I like the idea of horror-comedy. But no one and nothing works out in this low budget blandtastrophe. I wish everyone in the cast success moving forward, but first please fire your agents.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Anyone see IT yet?

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The Third Eye (1966) Sort of Psycho-lite with Franco Nero's Mino being more than a bit unstable. Living with his controlling mother (who is still alive) and a house maid who wants Mino, but when the young man is not clinging to his mother or fooling around with taxidermy. Mino devoted to an outsider, Laura. But the mother hates Laura and demands the house maid do something. The maid sabotages the breaks on Laura's car and tells Mino she's already left the villa. Mino flees after her. Meanwhile, the mother is furious when the maid tells her Mino went after Laura and the maid kills momma. Mino comes home to this after watching his girl's car drive off a cliff (an almost symbolic push for him to absolutely lose it.)

Mino cannot let Laura go, stealing her body and then embalming it. Yeah, eewwww... Sometime later, Laura's twin comes looking for her sister and the stuff hits the fan. Shot in black and white, this then present day Italian Gothic horror is another interesting tweak on how the environment can seriously screw up people. I'd seen German print of this years ago but without subs it wasn't easy to follow. This print in Italian fixed that. Franco Nero was always open to taking whatever part came his way and he did a lot of seriously sleazy and exploitative work (even in the past decade.) His acting style is decidedly theatrical (often O.T.T.) and I find the more I revisit his work, the more I enjoy when he dials it down several notches unless the character demands it (a la Leonardo Ferri from A Quiet Place in the Country.) That said, I can accept his commitment to a role because, well, old habits Die Hard 2. :p

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002

Not yet but the BBC Film Review gave it a fairly good review. They said it's not a good film to see if you have a clown phobia. And from what I've read the actor who plays the clown is very creepy.

19. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Hearing a lot of good reviews. My friend saw it last night and raved.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC review did point out that it's only part 1 of the story. Apparently part 2 will deal with the kids when they are adults. I haven't read the book - at least not that I recall.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I really like the Bourne Trilogy (Identity, Supremacy, and Ultimatum). But I wish they had just stopped there... I didn't like the side-story Legacy or the new Jason Bourne one. The action is decent but the movies ring hollow pretty soon after you watch them, IMO. They lack substance the first three had. And yes, I also think they plan to make more Bourne movies despite not really having anywhere to go. I didn't buy Jason Bourne on Blu-ray, but I looked at the case and noticed that the verbiage on the back refers to the "Bourne franchise" and implies that they plan to keep it going. Uggh.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    What We Do In the Shadows - Jermaine Clement was the best thing about it. It had some cute moments in spots, but did not hit me in the ROTF manner that I was expecting given the endless praise. I'll cut Taika a break for Thor Ragnarok if he makes that work (and it looks like it will, quite nicely.) I was not a fan of him here, as he was a spot on caricature of everything I dislike about Anne Rice's vampires. I appreciate what they were trying to do...oh well.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Shin Godzilla
    [​IMG]

In a word: Basic

So, Shin Godzilla is a reboot and therefore an origin story of the legendary monster. There are not much thrills in this movie as there are really no lead characters and Godzilla is regulated to being a force of nature (meaning no personality or character); just a thing that threatens Japan.

There was some pretty meta material in the film, like the name "Godzilla" is American and the film as notes the Japanese term would be "Gojira." There's also the social commentary of US finding a way to step in and influence the Japan handles the Godzilla situation. Also, there was some scientists commenting on a monster of Godzilla's size shouldn't exist because the sheer weight of his body would crush its bones and other physiological problems that are often spat about, so this film tries to explain away how Godzilla's physiology works.

The CGI and effects of Godzilla needs alot of work. I mean, there wasn't eye movement or articulation of Godzilla's eyes; just a vacant stare. Additionally, this iteration of Godzilla has a strange and larger set or powers that I haven't seen before.

So, this film is long on exposition and short on Godzilla goodness. Therefore, don't feel bad if you pass on this film.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Sith_Sensei__Prime - bummer about Shin Godzilla. I do not think he's been well presented in a very long time; but I was expecting something better. Oh well.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Death Note: A killer can make people die by writing their name in a magical book. The first name we can see clearly is "Andre Messina." You know, the Napoleonic General who died happily of old age after retiring. As is evident, then, this "movie" was made by idiots. It only gets worse from there.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  26. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Just saw it (ha ha) tonight. Yeah, it was good. The R rating helps a lot. Pennywise is great. The kids are all pretty good. Some particularly good scenes. 4/5 I'd say. Worth seeing in the cinema.

vin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.