main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Captain Phasma #1-4 (4/4 Released) [Journey to TLJ]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Apr 14, 2017.

1. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    She's the ST General Grevious!

I actually like her self-serving characterization, as it makes her different from the dyed in the wool types on both the First Order and Resistance sides. Assuming that the First Order is destroyed in episode IX, and she survives, the novel and this series makes me curious to see what she does at that point. Become a pirate queen with her own crew, or something more ambitious?

MandaloreRex2015 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  2. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    She used her little hook-shot thing at one point, so I assumed that she had some other hidden weapons/explosives on her that Han/Finn/Chewie didn't catch, assuming they checked for that stuff at all before shoving her down the chute - they were on a tight schedule themselves.

Hopeless likes this.
  3. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Really good issue with excellent art. I wasn't happy in TFA when the fanatically loyal Phasma quickly betrayed the First Order to save her own life. But the self-serving characterization does indeed make her intriguing.

4. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

Agreed. She had no personality in TFA and I like how this comic took the actions in that movie and made it part of her character. This was a very good start to the mini-series.

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. I really enjoyed this. Phasma is devious, and as a result, she's far more interesting.

6. Good Start

themoth likes this.
  7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The fact it continues immediately after the events of TFA is what excites me as well.

MandaloreRex2015 and redxavier like this.
  8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The letterer for this issue deserves a freaking Eisner btw

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i wonder if ole Solly boy will try to make contact with the Resistance to defect.

10. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Odd what was he doing when he was online?
    He could have raised the alarm but doesn't look like he even tried?

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Solid issue. My first hope is that Checchetto gets to pencil all 4 issues and hopefully isn't replaced near the end like he was in Shattered Empire, I saw in the solicits he was marked down as all 4 cuz I love his art and it works so fantastic with Star Wars. Although it's 4 issues in 2 months which is a really tight schedule (probably to get the trade on shelves for TLJ release) but hopefully the series is all in the can by now. Cuz this was one of his most art-centric issues, which is saying something cuz his stuff is real purty but this one was awash with splash pages of things exploding.

I will also say I have a minor gripe as to HOW Phasma got out of the trash compactor cuz the issue opens with the wall blown out, so while it seems likely it's damage from the SKB attack I also will perfectly accept that she just punched the wall down. She gets to do all sorts of cool stuff in this issue we didn't see her do before but the best thing is that it's totally motivated from a place of cowardice. So she can do incredible feats but it's all just to save her own ass. And the juxtaposition of her running, ho-hum narration with the crazy stuff she was doing was awesome. Anyway, little bit but the most Phasma line I kinda loved was when she sees the BB unit and just goes "what is it doing here? It's in the way." She's concerned about space in the TIE fighter while the entire Starkiller is about to explode.

But, yah, me likey, it's bonafide post TFA content, the only real "journey to the Last Jedi" stuff out there that takes place during / after TFA, looks great, and Phasma does awesome stuff but deep down it's only because she needs to blame someone else.

Jedi Ben and SilentGuy66 like this.
  12. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016

Issue #4 was put to print today - Marco finished drawing it about a month ago ;)

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Whohoo! Awesome, loved his stuff in issue #1. Checchetoo is one of my favourite Star Wars artists for Marvel and I kind of love how he keeps bouncing around different parts in the timeline so more random Marco Checchtoo penciled Star Wars miniseries and I'm happy.

14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    She needs to find/steal a jedi saber and train with it between TLJ and IX.

When confronting Rey......

"You Fool, I have been trained in your jedi arts by Snoke"

Maybe she could lose an arm to, making weaponized artificial arm + saber and training deadly, even for a non-force sensitive.

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Haven't read the Phasma novel yet, but if she's portrayed in it the same way she's portrayed in this comic, she's a real cowardly bastard. I love it! Hope we'll see this side of her in TLJ and/or IX as well.

The art is beautiful as well. Checchetto is probably my favourite artist working on the Marvel SW comics so far.

BigAl6ft6 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    PHASMA IS COMING
    [​IMG]
    PHASMA IS HERE
    [​IMG]

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Dahh!! Yes! That is exactly what happened. Marvel, please put that in the Trade paperback. Yeah, I know DC owns those shots of Doomsday's hand but whatever.

Jedi Ben and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    when does Issue 2 come out?

20. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Trust me, you will understand perfectly why she lowered the shields after you read the novel :)

21. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

You can't gloriously serve great leader if you're dead. ;)

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    You can't be alive if you're dead either!

23. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I just think it's perfectly in character for a semi-hi ranking Imperial official to do something like that, "Oh, ALL I have to do to explain my not at all skin saving escape from Starkiller is kill some rando jobber on our side? Gee, let me think..."

P.S. First Order is the bad guys.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Is this 4 or 5 issues? The first one was great

25. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    4 issues.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk