main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Grey Jedi Code

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PadawanGussin, Sep 7, 2017.

1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Is there a cannon version of the Grey Jedi code?

I have seen different takes on line but would like to know which is the more accepted form.

My take is that one who follows this path would work to end the suffering of all living beings without attachment to a specific political or other system of belief.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Not in canon, no

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jedi Codes (two different versions) and Sith Code do get newcanon references, at least. The second version of the Jedi Code could be said to be "greyer" (more respectful of the "negative" states described in it) than the first version.

First version:

There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

Second version:

Emotion, yet peace.
    Ignorance, yet knowledge.
    Passion, yet serenity.
    Chaos, yet harmony.
    Death, yet the Force.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There are no gray Jedi to begin with, let alone a code. It's fan fiction, pure and simple.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There are Jedi who are less dogmatic about "emotional attachment" than Yoda's teachings in the PT demand. This is one variant on what "grey Jedi" meant in the EU - Jedi who feel that the mainstream Jedi Order are wrong about some things. Basically "heretical Jedi" rather than "morally neutral Jedi".

The other variant is Jedi who use both the light and the dark side like Kyle Katarn or Jaden Korr.

The predecessor of the Jedi Order had their own code, but they were pre-Jedi rather than "grey Jedi".

6. The Grey Jedi code dont exist in canon and Legends

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. But Jedi who don't exactly follow the Jedi code, yet are still considered Jedi by most observers, do.

As Obi-Wan says of Qui-Gon in TPM : "If you would just follow the Code, you would be on the Council."

So Qui-Gon is a Jedi who (at least in Obi-Wan's estimation) doesn't follow the Code (at least, not to the extent that normal Jedi do).

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Jolee Bindo from KOTOR birthed the term if I'm correct. A term for messing up in that era became "pulling a Bindo" lmao

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    KOTOR was July 2003. The very first usage of the term that I can find, was in the The Stark Hyperspace War comics (November 2001) in which the Wookiee Jedi Council Member Tyvokka, uses the term when speaking of Qui-Gon:

"Jinn always does things his own way, always sure he is right, always incredulous if we do not see it his way. Some think he is a gray Jedi."

10. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Ewwww.

This is disgusting. The first one sounds so edgy and terrible...The second one is "tolerable" but why do these codes sound so...Meh..I don't know if Lucas made them or condoned them but they just seem off.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, fortunately Lucas didn't make them. BioWare did.

12. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    My personal fav is this version -

"Flowing thru all there is Balance

There is no peace without the passion to create.

There is no passion without peace to guide.

Knowledge stagnates without the strength to act

Power blinds without the serenity to see

There is freedom in life.

There is purpose in death.

The Force is all things and I am the Force"

Over time the Jedi shifted between being more involved or less involved with political and other systems and I suspect that there were differences of opinion that had developed as we can see on a limited level with Qui Gon.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  13. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    A Grey Jedi is:
    Trustworthy,
    Loyal,
    Helpful,
    Friendly,
    Courteous,
    Kind,
    Obedient,
    Cheerful,
    Thrifty,
    Brave,
    Clean,
    and Reverent.

Their battle cry is:
    Be Prepared!

PadawanGussin likes this.
  14. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017

Boy scouts and beagles must be grey Jedi then LOL

15. The Gray Jedi exist in Legends but they are very few and there is very little information about The "Gray Jedi"

And according to Legends The Gray Jedi were Jedi who disagreed with some rules of the Jedi Order but they were still Jedi

They do not practice any balance and never existed any Gray Jedi code
    However in the new canon all of this can change

16. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The Grey Jedi having a code seems very anti-Grey.

I'd imagine OB1 came the closest to putting it into words:
    You must do what you feel is right, of course.

The "of course" is very important.

PadawanGussin likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There is no Gray Jedi organization, nor is there a code for them. Being gray isn't actually a balance between dark and light, it's an unofficial term for a Jedi who's independent and doesn't follow the Council or the Code. It means being a rogue. You can have good rogues and evil rogues. Being gray doesn't mean being in balance. Being perfectly half-good and half-evil is not being in balance either.

On this post... for once, we agree.

SavedByChristAlone and Gamiel like this.
  18. They are not fan fiction the only fan fiction is the gray jedi code and the balance theme
    here's an example of the Gray Jedi are real
    [​IMG]

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are fan fiction. Gray Jedi, just like dark Jedi, are oxymorons created by people who can't accept the fact that there are things that define a Jedi (and makes them who they are), and these people don't get to cherry pick what they like and don't like about the Jedi just to fit a personal and idealized view of them.

SavedByChristAlone and theraphos like this.
  21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I suppose it depends on how one wishes to define the term "Grey Jedi"

Is it just something like somebody who uses the Force but doesn't belong to the Jedi? Say, such as the blind dude from Rogue One, or maybe just a Force-sensitive well trained enough to use the Force who's not in the order, like Ahsoka post-TCW? Or perhaps even just someone who knows how to use the Force and never joined Jedi or Sith to begin with?

Or is it to go further like some sort of third order? To my knowledge, there's never been such a thing in any EU or in GL's ideas

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Force is not exclusive to the Jedi or any other group/order/sect. Using the Force doesn't make one a Jedi. Someone who's not part of the Jedi (a group of people with a set of beliefs and tenets which act as guardians of peace and justice) is simply not a Jedi. Ahsoka is a former Jedi. Once she left, she's no longer a Jedi.

theraphos and PadawanGussin like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope - West End Games invented them (or at least, the first one) long before Bioware.

"Dark Jedi" was invented by the EU very early on, as a generic term for evil force users, who were mostly fallen Jedi.

"Grey Jedi" is much more recent - mostly used for Jedi with a rogue streak. It tended to be used by mainstream Jedi as a method of badmouthing Jedi that they didn't approve of.

24. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I wonder how the Jedi order would react if someone simply made the choice to leave. I find it difficult to accept that for the entirety of the existence of the Order no Padawan ever said "you took me as a child . now I am an adult of my species and what to take another path.

Would the Jedi allow a Force sensitive young adult , trained in lightsaber combat , to go out into the galaxy on their own?

Of course there are the "Fallen Jedi" such as Duku who made a splash when they left but what about those who went wanted to just quietly walk away?

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    20 Jedi Masters have "quietly walked away" - Dooku was one. The difference is, some 8 years or so after walking away, he started being visible - getting publicly seen as a major Separatist figure.

In the Legendsverse, quite a few Knights walked away too - and in the newcanon, Ahsoka walked away - technically she refused an invitation to return (after being expelled) - but the basic idea is the same - she chose not to rejoin.

The Jedi tend not to hold onto those who insist on leaving.
    After looking it up - the first one was in the 1987 West End Games Star Wars Roleplaying Game rulebook - the second one was in the 1996 WEG Tales of the Jedi companion book.
    EU authors were encouraged by Lucasfilm Licencing to use WEG for their background information - most notably, Zahn, for his Thrawn Trilogy.