main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Whats a Force ability that probably exists but is never shown

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Sep 6, 2017.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I really don't like classifying "force abilities", thats more of just a way to simplify the concept for gaming purposes. I like to think of The Force as an unlimited source of energy that can be manipulated in an infinite amount of ways, and The Force Awakens really did a good job of breaking it outside of the "force push/grip/lightning" thing.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The EU achieved a similar effect, I'd say. All sorts of exotic ways to manipulate it.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I think Force powers are tricky to write. There's a risk of making it seem either too much like magic (spells and amulets and all that) or too much like something out of superhero comics (phasing through walls and teleportation).

Thinking about it, "Force Lightning" seems like a completely standard Force ability to us since it appeared in the movies first. I gotta wonder, if Force Lightning had first appeared in Heir to the Empire or a comic instead, would we consider it as weird and unusual as some of these other powers? If anyone reading this saw ROTJ in theatres, was it shocking* to see the Emperor use Force Lightning when that power had never been seen before?

*pun intended

Revanfan1 and Sarge like this.
  4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Force house and yardwork. I'd Force the **** out laundry, dishes, and mowing the lawn if I could. That'd be like my Jedi specialty. Forget all that lightsaber fighting crab. That'll get you killed.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

VadersLaMent likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Thing is teleportation and phasing through walls have been shown as relatively rare and requiring exceptionally powerful force users-like the Aing-Tii and An'ya Kuro.

And Sith amulets and what not rare too.

JediBatman likes this.
  6. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Some sort of "elemental composition detector", if you are able to sense and manipulate something with the Force, it would be logical that you can sense what materials are they composed of.

I can easily imagine a Force-sensitive Archimedes-like character proving his king that his crown wasn't entirely made of electrum.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Have we ever seen a Force user manipulate another's dreams? To really screw with their head? And then if the dreamer also had the Force, s/he could lucidly dream and confront the menace? Ya know that would actually be a pretty cool story.

Darth Caliban, Kylun and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It's implied Anakin's dreams of doom regarding his mother and Padme were sent or influenced by Palpatine.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    JediBatman, yes, in 1983 it was indeed "shocking." I distinctly remember my jaw dropping open and thinking, "Is that possible?!" I accepted it in a moment, but it really was a huge surprise.

Ithorians and JediBatman like this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Force Blade. Rather than a lighthsaber or blaster one creates a floating, roughly blade shaped plane of Force energy.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That seems like it would require near constant concentration to maintain-your using for based energy attacks and making the a solid substance-that seems like it would either be impossible or incredibly difficult.

As for force lightning yeah I recall watching it and being in awe when I first saw ROTJ.

Sarge likes this.
  12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I wanna see someone snap their fingers and give another person a heart attack in the films at least once. i forget if that ever happened outright in the books but in Shadows of the Empire Vader is training and he reflects on how he could just snap someones spine or stop their heart from beating with the force but he just chooses to strangle people because he enjoys it

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Gethzerion does use the Force to break bones, in The Courtship of Princess Leia - breaking one limb bone into 3 pieces, then imploding Han's teeth one at a time. Fortunately she's distracted before she gets very far.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    There's Talzin and Maul's Magicka Sabers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Has the force ever been used to create art?

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    There's these statues in the Jedi Temple:
    [​IMG]

There's one in ROTS too. The ball in the hand appears to be floating (it's clearer in the ROTS statue), and it's possible that some Force technique was used to hold the balls up.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

That's interesting but I was thinking more along the lines of The Black Blade of Disaster D&D spell

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I would think a small repulsorlift device inside the ball would make more sense than having a Jedi constantly there to levitate it with the force :p

I was thinking more like performance art, creating colours and shapes in the air by manipulating gasses and energy. Maybe something that a jedi bard could use to animate his stories and music.
    I guess the same ability could be used in battle as a decoy or distraction.

Sanguinius likes this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe it's like Jedi detention.

"Speak out in class do you? Mmm? Levitate the ball for three hours you will."

You could probably also use the Force just to pluck multiple string instruments at a time. A Jedi could be a one being string quartet.

20. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I didn´t get to see ROTJ in theaters, but I grew up with it, and I remember exactly what Sarge is saying: when one saw that the Emperor generating lightning through his fingertips, it was like: this character is beyond anything we´ve ever seen. It really made him look unbeatable to me, and very understandable that a man with those sort of abilities (his foreseeing is just as dangerous/impressive, even if less combat oriented) could have even someone as powerful as Vader as his apprentice.

Now it´s a very common ability, but that was one of the things I was disappointed about Dooku: they didn´t really create a personal power, like lightning for the Emperor, or choking and saber throwing for Vader, (and later, Ren´s freezing) but instead they just made him less proficient at everything. Jedi Outcast had a pretty nice ability in Force Drain, a sort of red lightning generated from the target towards the user instead of the other way around, that I imagine could have been a good alternative for him...

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The EU really emphasized Dooku's swordmanship and I recall he used the force to levitate once.

Ithorians and JediBatman like this.
  22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Here's an ability we haven't seen but can extrapolate from other powers we have seen.

Palpatine could communicate with his Hand from across the Galaxy. She could hear his voice at any time, in any place. When she came into his physical presence, she felt her power renew itself and be rejuvenated. Palpatine could pass his own power through their mental link. If he could do all that, I think he could take full control of her mind as well. If by some miracle, Mara Jade came face to face with a surviving Jedi, Palpatine might have been able to seize control of her body through their Force link, channel his own power through her midi-chlorians and effectively fight an enemy using his Hand as a vessel. There are precedents for parts of these abilities in canon already, so it's not too much of a leap to say that Palpatine could control those of his disciples with which he had a strong mental link but lacked sufficient resolve of their own. There are a number of ocurrences in Legends that support this.

Jacen Solo channeled his own power in the Force to his mother, over a distance of hundreds of kilometers. She used this power to hold the plummeting Milennium Falcon together and guide it to a smooth landing.

Mara Jade's Force Powers vanished with the death of the Emperor and the severance of their psychic link. It took her years to rediscover her powers on her own, bit by bit, using her own innate power and not the augmented strength of Palpatine.

Palpatine could overshadow a person's soul and dominate the mind within. He did this to Luke on Byss, crushing Skywalker's will with his own, making him very susceptible to Palpatine's commands.

Sanguinius and Ithorians like this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What would you call this power? Force dominion? Force transfer?

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Long-range Force Control

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Seems like a good name.

Was there anyway to induce visions? Or did they happen randomly and unpredictably?