main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    We don't know how far they plan on continuing the Saga films and there are countless options continuing otherwise. Snoke certainly doesn't have to be new, and especially not for that reason.

2. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I sure hope so,

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I am now.

4. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Here are two Snoke ideas I saw recently from Force Friday II materials and random internet theories. They are mutually exclusive, and I do not think either is necessarily a good idea, but they are interesting to me because they diverge from how I see this character right now without contradicting anything in particular or being too illogical.

1. Snoke has been around since before the Empire, but so has the First Order, in some form. He has been hiding in the Unknown Regions along with part of his fleet since the days of the Old Republic (though not the Old Old Republic), and the Imperial fleet merely found him. The First Order is a fusion of the Imperial remnant and Snoke’s own mysterious fleet.
    2. Snoke is a dark Jedi who fell to the dark side as a result of the Clone Wars, the Jedi Purge, or some other pre-Empire event. He was a respected Jedi once, and knows all that there is to that way of life, but still became convinced that the dark side was a truer path. He fled to the Unknown Regions and saw an opportunity come back with the power vacuum left by the Sith.
    Theory 1 is interesting, but I think it ultimately does not work considering what we have learned of the First Order. It would bring in more questions, which is fine, but it does not seem like the new canon is necessarily trying to up the mysteries that are already established alongside new characters. In other words, it seems unnecessarily complicated, and to me it sounds like it hints too much at Snoke being a remnant of the old Sith empire.

Theory 2 is much simpler and for that reason also seems more likely than other theories I’ve heard. Snoke does not have to be particularly ancient, nor does there have to be some ultimate master plan behind things. It additionally brings certain elements from Legends into canon with their own unique (and frankly less complicated) twist: a surviving old Jedi who who fell to the dark side and allied himself with the Imperial remnant in a quest for power (Joruus C’baoth, ignoring cloning); and an old Jedi authority figure who knows more about Jedi history or powers than Luke, who still fell to the dark side despite that (throwing into question the validity of Jedi teachings), and has corrupted or killed Luke’s students (Exar Kun’s ghost).

Thoughts? I don’t think either is too likely, but I was interested in seeing how this meshed with what we know and what others theorize about Snoke.

Personally, I still prefer a slightly more ethereal origin to Snoke that makes him more mysterious like other independent Force figures in the new canon (Bendu, Mortis family, Force priestesses, etc.) without needing too much of an explanation.

5. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Neither of these examples connect Snoke to the Skywalker Saga adequately enough as I think he ultimately will be, or dare I say should be..... for my taste anyway.

6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    wait. now snoke has to be deeply connected to skywalkers too? does his corrosive relationship with kylo not count?

7. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Skywalker Saga, not just Skywalkers. New, unconnected bad guy corrupts a Skywalker is not Episode 7, it's Episode one of something new.

As I said.... for my taste.....

8. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    but he's not unconnected. he knows too much about what happened between vader and the emperor. he knew ben solo was vader's grandson and luke/leia vader's kids. he shouldn't have known this, yet he does. he is connected somehow. leia knows who he is. luke does if leia does. han apparently does.

and i think snoke seems to know too much inside info about the emperor.

some have suggested he could have been the emperor's secret apprentice. or he could have been the dark thing calling the emperor from the UR. he may be an incredible force psychic. he may have access to the "observatories" or something similar that the emperor used and that could be how he knows so much inside info.

snoke is like a dark thing that's been waiting for its chance. he's the boogie man. and they may not explain much of this in TLJ.

but i am sure snoke has or will have a backstory whether told in the movies or through other materials that will show how this all happened and how he is connected.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    We don't know how connected he is.

oncafar likes this.
  10. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    we don't really know anything about him, so yes we don't know. but it remains he knows things and he got close to ben. so obviously there are some connections.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    Other than being Kylo's master, I don't think Snoke necessarily needs to connect with the Skywalkers in any way. But it's not an idea I'd be against, as long as they made it interesting.

I just hope Snoke fits into the Star Wars saga as a whole in some way. That's why I feel it's important for us to learn where he was and what he was doing during the events of Episodes I-VI -- they need to make him fit. Him just popping up out of nowhere wouldn't be very satisfactory at all.

Going back and watching the older films, knowing that Snoke's presence is looming closer than we might currently think could be pretty cool.

All_Powerful_Jedi likes this.
  12. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Sure.

oncafar likes this.
  13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    often in stories when one defeats one evil, another rises up. it's because of how power is arranged. there are evils waiting for their chance at power. competing against the emperor for that would have been a fool's errand possibly. but i would find it interesting if snoke was calling the emperor from the UR to deceive, confuse and weaken him. as the emperor becomes more obsessed with this call, he loses focus and is easier to take down.

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    As long as Snoke's origins feel suitably mythic (e.g. he was a dark force discovered in the Unknown Regions), I'll be happy.

15. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I agree, but that doesn't require Snoke to be new.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    PH says he is new and that's why i take it as fact. he's not deceiving or giving a non-answer. he's saying this is a new character and it is not plagueis and not human. i see no reason not to accept what he says about this. this doesn't spoil snoke's identity, it just tells us his identity isn't a previous character.

sometimes something is just a fact and one has to deal with it. i mean we could say that PH is lying but why bother in this case?

Dra--- likes this.
  17. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    We shall see. I'm not saying he is lying or not lying. Right now Snoke is new because we hadn't seen him nor heard his name before. It might stay that way. It might not. We know almost nothing about him at this point, which I think is great.

18. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Yeah, I think all it really needs to be is some rich dark sider taking in what was left of the Empire and amassing an army for a gigantic push to conquer the Republic.

19. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    What is actually up with Snoke's black gem ring?

20. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    A Snokey development. Of sorts.

@pablohidalgo How did Snoke even took over the first order after the battle of jakku? Why is that part of the story not explored yet?

Pablo Hidalgo @pablohidalgo

Replying to @SighartKlaus

I guess it's not time to tell that yet. But I'm sure it will someday.

2:22 am · 11 Sep 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/pablohidalgo

21. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I hope so, maybe they'll reveal more in episode 9.

DaddlerTheDalek and Wildcatbarry like this.
  22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i've started reading the phasma novel trying to get a sense of things :(

anyway, i suspect that when snoke showed up the remnants of the empire were divided between sloane's more ethical version of the empire and snoke's nasty vision which appealed to certain people like armitage hux. something happened to sloane and her fellow leaders. i don't know if it was convert or die, or what.

23. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I think this means it's really not that big of a deal and that we probably won't get an answer. I think this is Sifo-Dyas all over again. A mystery that's there in the movies about something that happened between films, but one they don't think is important to talk about on film because it's so far in the rear view mirror.

They don't seem to be too concerned with how they got there, only where they're going.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    "How did Snoke even took over..."? Back in the day Vader would have Force choked someone for such bad grammar.

Look how long it took for us to learn about Palpatine. We hear of the emperor in ANH and encounter his name and a bit of his background in the novelization, but we don't learn what we want to know until 2012 in the Luceno novel--in 2012.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Wait. Has anyone considered the implications of Snoke spelled backwards?

Ekons.

Discuss.