main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Leia Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But that's only because it's a movie series where actors who aren't related to each other play the characters. It's hardly implausible for Leia to resemble her biological mother.

Daneira likes this.
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    That's a pretty good theory.

3. padme.sky

padme.sky Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2016

indeed

I guess never a tweet of Mark was so accurate lmao

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/906950511634644994[/spoiler]

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I can see Panaka as a Moff in the dutiful "good guy" Imperial mold. Don't forget that the Republic became the Empire. Panaka was also a bit authoritarian and by thr book, imo. Not quite the rebellious type.

I haven't gotten to him in the book yet, but my initial thought is that it makes sense.

He may even see Padme's death as a result of the corrupt Republic.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except that the guy who presided over said corrupt Republic for like 15 years, then declared himself absolute ruler of the Galaxy and runs a repressive and corrupt regime (which Panaka would know about, being a Moff). And that's the very guy that he's now sworn allegiance to, oops.

Also he's essentially spitting in the face of Padme's legacy, since the Empire would represent everything that she detested and fought so hard again for most of her life.

It honestly makes him look like a gullible idiot, and there's nothing that I saw of his character in TPM that points to him doing this imo. I'm just not fond of the idea overall.

wobbits likes this.
  6. Genuine Class

Genuine Class Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2017
    it seemed like Holdo could be into human men because she wouldn't want to limit herself
    So.
    maybe she (Holdo) made a pass at Leia? which was rebuffed.

There goes my Luke/Holdo 'ship. It is now sunk.
    [/quote]
    it seemed to me that Holdo wouldn't even want to limit her options to just two genders, and I am very here for that

KSennia and my kind of scum like this.
  7. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Leia was also wearing Padme's ceremonial gown from TPM at the time.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Correct -- and that was such a great touch too.

unicorn likes this.
  9. Genuine Class

Genuine Class Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2017
    There was a quote from Rian Johnson that suggested that the pressure of being a small army on the run is what causes strike within the Resistance. After reading Leia PoA I assumed that any rift between Amilyn and Leia would be situational and probably temporary. Like, more of Amilyn challenging Leia in some way and Leia getting frustrated with her.

KSennia likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm sure Natalie Portman was cast partly on some superficial resemblance to Carrie Fisher. There's a behind the scenes video of casting Anakin for TPM where George is comparing kids' headshots to pictures of Mark Hamill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRedBlade likes this.
  11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    In retrospect, perhaps not the best casting strategy?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

kalzeth likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh. It wasn't the casting that was the problem.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

TheRedBlade and wobbits like this.
  13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Arguably. There were other problems clearly. But the PT crew, sans Ewan, weren't able to make terrible Lucas dialogue work like the OT crew did. Natalie Portman is a brilliant actress, but the role didn't suit her strengths.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Corellian Blue and kalzeth like this.
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm inclined to think that's more on the direction than the actors - even Lucas agrees that he's not really an actor's director.

15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    NO SPOILERS

KSennia and SWpants like this.
  16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    WITH SPOILERS

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm not blaming the actors. I'm blaming who Lucas chose for those roles, which did not fit their acting strengths. I'd say his direction is part of that. He'd have to consider he'd need actors who could flourish under his director leadership style.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

18. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I think the worst thing George did with the PT was make the scenes composites of various takes. So for example, if Anakin and Padme are having a conversation, Hayden's line from Take 5 is followed by Portman's line from Take 12. The reason it seems so unnatural is that the actors aren't responding to the previous thing that was said on screen but a different performance of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999

The hell, George?

anakinfansince1983 and Ghost like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    why did Panaka have to die? Screw you Saw!

21. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Just finished the book.
    That last line is so tragic.

KSennia and MikeF like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Someone pointed out not long ago that when you watch Anakin during the ROTS opera scene, and you can notice subtle transitions of Hayden's face that indicate bits and pieces were edited together. Look right around here and you can kinda see it.

23. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    IT IS SO UNBELIEVABLY RUDE!

Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Well I just had a sad thought about Ress Batten: between what happened to the Tantive IV and Alderaan, the chances of her still being alive are near zero. :(

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It is the no. 1, recurring champion for Ultimate Last-Line Gut Punch.... Ever.

Someone pointed out not long ago that when you watch Anakin during the ROTS opera scene, and you can notice subtle transitions of Hayden's face that indicate bits and pieces were edited together. Look right around here and you can kinda see it.[/quote]

I never knew this - it sounds utterly nuts, but explains an awful lot.