main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Tatooine Twilight Twins
    Adept

He's practically spelling out Kylo's redemption in these new interviews.

From today....

Does that honestly sound like a character that's going to become more evil and seduced to the dark side?

NooThe likes this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Didn't Han and Leia take down the shield protecting the Death Star, thus allowing Lando and the Rebel fleet to blow it up? Seems like an important role to me.

Comparatively, all Luke did was go fetch his dad. ;)

3. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    First of all, I think we can all agree that Han and Leia's development became stagnant in RoTJ. George didn't know what else to do with there characters so he created another death star so Han and Leia had something to do. His real focus was clearly on Vader and Luke. Of course they're role was important but we can't sit here and say the storyline for them was one of the strengths of the movie because it wasn't.

Deerborne, NooThe, Troopa212 and 2 others like this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I was joking a bit. Hence the winking smiley.

5. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Ummmm.....yes.

CEB likes this.
  6. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014

I think this quote is far more revealing https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/905497076682842112:
    • @rianjohnson In the @nytimes interview you say Kylo/Rey are dual protagonists. If Kylo isn't an antagonist, how can we reconcile patricide?
    [​IMG]
    Rian JohnsonGeverifieerd account @rianjohnson
    Meer
    Als antwoord op @_wordsbyrob_ @nytimes
    How indeed.

afrojedi, NooThe and JediAce1 like this.
  7. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Still doesn't tell me much. Look, I'm not saying I'm right, its just that I haven't seen anything definitive enough to make me worry. And I'm one of those who have had no problems reading the tea leaves and calling foul on this franchise in terms of how certain characters are treated and certain situations are handled. I went over in more detail the reasons why I don't buy into Kylo becoming a protagonist to which I have yet to come across even an half-hearted counter. Now let me make a few additions:

* Does anyone actually believe after how tight-lipped the folks at Lucas have been about this trilogy, that Rian Johnson would reveal his hand in such a big way concerning Kylo? Because regardless of whether you think Kylo turning is predictable or not, spilling the beans that he WILL is a huge deal, not something you should let slip let alone hint at. I think what Johnson is going after is giving us a bad guy who is more complex and complicated than those that have come before in Star Wars.

*If Finn is not the male protagonist, then all the time he got in TFA was a waste. He almost received twice the time that Kylo got in that movie. And based upon all the info we have pieced together from various sources there is nothing to suggest definitively that Kylo is getting near the screentime of Finn in TLJ. Forget about assumptions and forget about the wishful thinking of Kylo fabboys/fangirls: give me the SCENES in which people are relatively sure Kylo will turn up. Because the ones that we are sure of don't match the number of scenes that we are certain Finn will take part in. Unless of course all of Kylo scenes have remained top secret. And I don't buy that. No way would his scenes be kept so secretive while those of other characters are leaked out or revealed through various means (trailer clips, on-set photos, toy merchandise, etc.). If Finn is to be that pointless compared to Kylo as you are arguing then Johnson is wasting a lot of time giving him his own separate and important storyline. And for what? Just to push him aside in IX by sending him on some fool's errand? That's nonsense because up to just a week or so ago Johnson apparently wasn't going to have much if anything to do with how IX unfolded as a story. So how would he be setting up Finn to take a backseat to the overall story in IX by giving him a large storyline in VIII all the while knowing someone else would be writing and directing IX? No offense but that doesn't make sense.

(Note: let me add that I believe JediAce brought up this notion that Han and Leia were pushed aside in RoTJ in order to make room for Luke and Vader and therefore Rey and Kylo will be that Luke and Vader combo in IX. The problem with this line of thinking is that Luke and Vader spent almost their entire time on screen together in RoTJ as antagonists; it wasn't until the very end that Vader sided with Luke. Also, with that being said, Vader was pushed aside just as much as Han was. Both characters reached their peak n ESB but in RoTJ neither was given all that much to do. Vader's screentime went down noticeably in RoTJ and for most of the film he stayed silent and allowed The Emperor to do most of the talking).

*There is a reason that Boyega, and Boyea alone, is always with Ridley at these fan events. Not Driver. Not Isaac. Just Boyega. And its not because Boyega is such great buddies with Ridley. It is because that is TPTB's way of acknowledging his status as primary male lead of this trilogy. Does that mean he is assured of getting a great storyline or arc? Hell, no. I didn't think he got that in TFA. But regardless of the debated quality of his plot what can't be denied is the quantity of his time on screen in comparison to other characters. He was the second lead, and the male lead. I don't see that changing for TLJ.

If Johnson does throw Finn under the bus and cuts his time and sets Kylo up to be the true male protagonist then I will have no problem admitting I was wrong and I will surely take a number of shots at Johnson. But as of right now I'm not stepping off that ledge. I will have to see a lot more contrary evidence before doing that.

CEB, EHT and Grand Master Galen Marek like this.
  8. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I agree, and again I can't picture John being so excited if his role wasn't worth being notably excited for. Boyega takes representation very seriously now that he's becoming more well known. If you look at his roles in Detroit, AtB and pretty soon Pacific Rim, he plays characters that are very serious/strong/confident. He even hinted at this in one of his interviews for Pacific Rim 2. Hell he even referred to Finn being a badass this time around, I mean that's pretty neat right? Plus, when we really stop and think about it, Finn fans have a lot to look forward to in VIII.

How he interacts with characters like Rose and DJ, and his reunion with Maz should be interesting. We get to see him engage in a lot of action, go undercover, free himself and decapitate Phasma? I mean come on, what's not to like about that?

And at the end of the day he and Rey will reunite and possibly fight together either on Crait or on the Supremacy.
    Basically, it really doesn't give off the 'pointless/sidelined plot' vibe for me. At least not with everything we've heard so far. And if JB really got his wishes in IX he'd be wielding a lightsaber again, but that's a discussion for another time.

Basically, if anyone remembers last year when we got that fake Echoes of the Dark Side leak you'd know why I've been pleasantly surprised right about now.

9. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So what does JJ directing episode IX mean for Finn?

10. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Well JJ was the one who pushed for John to play Finn, we most likely wouldn't have Boyega in the role if it were someone else. So I assume JJ cares enough about the character to give him his shine.

11. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    More comic relief. :rolleyes:

HugoWanKenobi likes this.
  12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Oh geez. Don't remind me.

What was his exact words: Boyega brought being funny and charisma.

Crap.

Maybe Boyega has more pull now, like Oscar had when he told JJ he didn't want Poe to die.

13. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    You know until I see TLJ I'm not going to assume Rian did not also put him into the comic relief role, especially with him and Rose going on a side mission that could just be a funny aside to the lofty force drama.

I hope all the things that most likely caused his lack of complexity such as the reshoots and changes will be remedied, weirdly enough I'm more glad Kasdan is gone, and I hope Chris Terrio can reign him in, also I have heard JJ much more enthusiastic about Finns character in all the BTS stuff, as for Rain Im not going to be singing his praises until I see what he does in December.

14. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    On the bright side we know he's a big fan of John's since he fought for him to get the role and basically helped his career skyrocket from there. Plus, he treated Kylo Ren like an actually villain in TFA who made evil choices instead of trying to excuse him constantly or make him seem like an okay guy. And we can argue that he laid some hints for a FS Finn with certain scenes and moments. So basically whatever JJ had intended to set up in TFA can be followed through after VIII if he wants to.

Even though TFA can be seen as a rough start for Finn concerning JJ, I'm hoping that JJ's able to follow through with certain aspects he'd designed for IX. Honestly this is kinda good news for me. He does 100% treat Finn and Rey as partners and co-leads, and doesn't seem to show too much favoritism to either character. I feel a little safer with him coming back, and I'm sure he and John will make sure that fans are happy with the turn out

15. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    The script he wrote for Finn was abysmal. That's all I need to say to not like this news.

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Some people are saying that was more on Kasdan than JJ.

Idk. We'll see.

Edit: one thing though. During the audio commentary on TFA, JJ wasn't very helpful on hints of Finn's future. That lack of prospect always gets me.

17. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Both of them.

18. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    O
    See my edited post above

19. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    jj is the one that suggested a stormtrooper revolt (something i do not want). depending on the timeline of ix it may happen. i just hope he wouldn't rush it. something like that deserves a lot of time and attention

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

DarkMark likes this.
  20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    That could actually be really cool. The First Order is basically controlled by a small group of radical neo-Imperials who have corrupted a generation to serving for them. A mass revolt of stormtroopers against the FO High Command and would be really interesting. Ultimately totalitarianism destroys itself from below.

11-4D, Hopeless and Deerborne like this.
  21. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I really liked Finn in TFA even if I can understand some of the complaints about his character. I'm hoping that him being JJ's creation will give him better focus than with another director, but you never know.

22. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Anyone think of maybe asking John over twitter what he thinks of the news? Obviously he's not gonna say anything bad or anything, but it's mostly curiosity. I'm sure he'll probably look forward to working with him again

23. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    A stormtrooper revolt sounds like a fantastic idea. It's new for Star Wars, which is what people have been asking of Abrams, and it even ties in nicely with the revelations about Captain Phasma's loyalties in the new book and comic.

The very fact that they have a reconditioning unit means Finn wasn't the first to show independence - he was just the first who actually managed to make it out. But it means they've had problems like this before.

11-4D, MrDarth0, Hopeless and 3 others like this.
  24. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I think a trooper revolt would be messy and convoluted to tell in this movie, especially if TLJ's script does nothing to seed the potential for that happening. Since Finn already knew he was taken from his family, it's highly likely every stormtrooper conscripted knows that as well so that wouldn't be a strong motivating factor.

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    There's no basis at all for the idea that a concept as straightforward as a revolt couldn't be done in the frame of one movie. It's a straightforward idea that's no more or less doable than any other. You'd have to explain what's so messy about it for that to be any sort of point.