main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Orville [Seth McFarlane's returning Sci-Fi Show]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, the pilot is a mediocre TNG knockoff with some jokes. If I wanted that, I'd just watch Voyager and Enterprise on Netflix.

Lord Vivec, jp-30 and Abadacus like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The solve they came up with the evil aliens was pretty ingenious, I will admit, and I really liked the banter immediately afterwards about what to say. But, yeah, it seems to feel and look a lot like S1-S2 TNG, and the TOS bright primary colour palate, but I think that is kinda fun. See how moody Discovery looks like? When was the last time a sci-fi space show actually looked kinda not-brooding or gloomy or grim or worn out off the bat.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It isn't terrible so far, but I wasn't impressed by the jokes.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I have not liked Mr. McFarlane, so I was not inclined to give this much of a chance. Ought I, or do his usual sensibilities come to the fore?

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    McFarlane loves his jokes to violate the internal consistency of the story he's trying to tell. I don't think it helps the sci fi when the jokes poke harder at my willingness to suspend disbelief than the sci fi itself. The absurdity overwhelms the narrative without being funny enough to justify how absurd it is.

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i didn't think it was all that funny. Not sure what they're going for exactly . maybe it would be better as a half hour show.

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    If I hadn't already seen president Trump's inauguration and Northwestern University's loss to Duke on Saturday, I'd have happily declared this the least entertaining thing I've seen on tv in 2017.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think his character here was less smarmy than his other live action roles (except when he's complaining about his ex-wife to everyone), but maintains the earnestness he conveys well in all of them.

Beyond that, it's not going for the rapid fire jokes of Family Guy etc but the humor tends to be consistent with his work (i.e.: it is at its best when it's deconstructing (or juxtaposing) things from/with an everyday perspective/activity but intersperses occasional lowbrow bits).

The rest of the setup here leans more sitcom but there are a few good character moments (the two pilots getting to know one another, for example) that shows potential for leaning towards the dramedy range they're supposedly going for.

But, again, it's definitely S1-2 TNG in feel, so it's hard to recommend it yet. But if it can evolve past that over the next few episodes, that could change. We'll see.

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It was pretty on par with what I expected; some material to earn the TV-14 DSLV rating (consistent with his other work), some lighter character humor (consistent with his live-action film work), and the necessary jabs at the genre (that any parody would usually include). The jokes weren't that great, but it's not like a movie where a bunch of jokes can be thrown in Act I and work out great. TV shows take time to set up.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Who the hell died and made you President of television, Gunny?

JFC.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually couldn't get ratings for yesterday, yet, because of this Hurricane thing which sort of frazzled collecting data. (And maybe some Florida based Nielsen boxes ended up blown to Cuba)

http://deadline.com/2017/09/hurrica...fottball-miss-america-the-orville-1202166684/

“Our first priority and thoughts are for the safety of our clients, Nielsen associates, and communities in which we operate and serve,” the rating company said in a statement. “The team that reports ratings has evacuated the Tampa Bay area due to Hurricane Irma. Therefore, our ratings will be delayed in the near term. We are actively monitoring the situation in Florida and will provide another update as soon as we know more.”

The Forbes critic actually seemed to like it and I agree with this quote

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...omage-to-the-original-star-trek/#454eb5da71c7

As many critics have pointed out, this isn't a spoof of Star Trek. It's not exactly an homage either. The best way I can describe it is that MacFarlane wanted to make a Star Trek show that recalls that franchise's earlier days, back before it became an action blockbuster film series and before the TV shows started becoming dark and grim and edgy. MacFarlane is making his own version of the original Star Trek, and he is a new Captain Kirk. All the optimism and sincerity and lightheartedness of that show is here, and in many ways it's kind of wonderful. I'm honestly surprised something like this exists.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    tfw we'll never have another tng or ds9

Sarge likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

If there's one thing he might make that you should give a shot, it's this. Much like JJ Abrams was a self-professed "Star Wars fanboy" since he was young, it's the same with MacFarlane and Star Trek. This wasn't the best pilot, but there's a lot of potential here to make it work once it finds a consistent tone.

Of course... FOX. So, y'know...

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't want another TNG. It was good for its time, but television has moved on and The Orville, if anything, (probably unintentionally) hammers in that point. I want something new. :(

No, not generic dark and gritty, Discovery!

dp4m likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, the one thing I'll say is that the best part of the show (thus far) appear to be the "officemates shooting the breeze" (in space) mundanity -- and Palicki and MacFarlane riffing off each other. I haven't read Redshirts but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some of that sensibility in this show. And if they make it an "officeplace ensemble" with the optimistic futurism of Star Trek I think it has real potential...

Basically, everything that sunk Powerless.

B3, The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

If anything, I'd give it 90% plausibility we won't have to invest it anything more than 13 episodes simply due to it being on Fox and on Thursdays (the regular timeslot it moves to after Sunday's episode). On the flipside, Fox gave, like, the McFarlane produced The Cleveland Show 2 or 3 seasons so you never know.

EDIT: Freakin' 4 seasons and 88 episodes!!!

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair to the Cleveland Show, it actually got pretty good in that final season or so after the pretty rough first two seasons. Though it was never as funny as American Dad is it as funny as FG can be.

As far as Orville goes, it will be interesting to see the eventual ratings and how reaction translates to that, if at all. It may be getting trashed by critics, but the reactions I've seen on my feed have been surprisingly positive. They're not raves but certainly more positive a reaction than I had or expected others to have.

The whole "Star Trek- but with optimism" thing seems to be at least translating for some people.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  19. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I thought that the Premiere episode was alright. It seems like they are trying to use comedy to tell the story while using parts of mainly TNG as a way to tell the different stories.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "In men 18-34, the core constituency for creator and star MacFarlane’s animated series, The Orville posted the highest-rated broadcast hourlong series debut since Fox’s Gotham on September 22, 2014 (excluding post Super Bowl lead-outs)."

That's a lot better than I would have expected. Be interesting to see how much of a drop off it gets next week- especially if the second episode improves over the mixed reaction to the first episode.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Diggy - "the solve". Not the solution.

Use this post to frighten your children into staying in school.

Diggy likes this.
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I loved Ted the Bear was basically Brian from the Family Guy and I love the Family Guy and Ted was basically a Live Action Family Guy! One of Mark Wahlberg's best although that aint saying much Wahlberg isn't a great actor.

As for The Oroville I thought It was so cheesy It was actually pretty funny and worthwhile. I can see this growing on me but as someone else pointed out they cant keep recycling the same jokes every episode so I am pleasantly optimistic where this might go...

does anyone know when the second one airs?

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [face_hypnotized]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    "Basically, I am an independent music video director and I direct and produce independent music videos."

Now we know her readership.

jp-30 likes this.
  25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Nailed it.