main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    4 am, woke up after a surprisingly restful sleep. Power hasn't gone out, which I'm surprised. Rain has fallen almost to nothing, but the wind intensity is still at its peak. Staying inside.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm puzzled about the BBC claim that the Tampa Bay Area has not actually been hit by a major hurricane since 1921.

Did the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane not qualify?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_Labor_Day_hurricane

The pictures there sure look like the eyewall skimmed the edge of Tampa Bay.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The Labor Day hurricane was a liberal hoax by the FDR administration and fake news.

Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    yankee8255 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Went for a run this morning. The wind is stronger than a normal day, but it's pretty nice out. Damage around my area is very minimal.

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Glad to hear some FL members made it through with minimal-to-no damage.

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I have some elderly friends in Tampa who were unable to evacuate but rode out the storm at their house without any incident. I'm grateful for all my acquaintances who either live in Florida or have vacation homes in Florida that the storm wasn't worse. My friends who have a place in St. Thomas weren't so lucky. Fortunately they weren't on the island during the storm, but the damage there is pretty bad, and they're not going to be able to get back to survey/salvage for quite a while.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Jacksonville is flooding.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I took a drive with my sister and my nephew some people got it way worse then us some streets you need a jeep or something Its like a lake over the street. we were able to go to the store my mom is making Fried Chicken for dinner! My sisters coworker and friend wasn't as lucky as us her roof got ripped off and we took pictures of one of the Parents houses from my Nephews boy scouts they had to evacuate they were in zone b we were in zone d so there wasn't a mandatory evacuation for us although my crazy red neck neighbors evacuated to a shelter, they were here back when Charlie hit.

one thing I found hilarious Is my cat didn't care that It was storming out he just slept through the whole thing with his furry belly and paws facing upright totally relaxed! he is a big fat 10 year old Domestic Short hair with black and white his nose is black he almost looks as if he was painted. Domestic Shorthairs there ancestors are from Egypt/Northern Africa! before the storm got really bad and we were closing our storm shutters on our Lanai My cat he was sleeping peacefully on the corner of our pool deck before we got him in. I so wish I could have the temperament of our cat. Our dog on the other hand, Boxer mix was a nervous wreck pacing the house he is an old guy about 13 years old...

Juliet316 and slidewhistle like this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Just spent several hours helping my parents clean up tree debris and patch up their roof. I'm exhausted.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Emergency flooding declared in Charleston, South Carolina

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No power for last few hours, and under multiple tornado warnings.

Lots of wind. Can't imagine what Florida went through, if this is the weakened state.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ugh - I hope any tornadoes give your area a miss..

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Glad to hear that people have been making it through the storm safe. I was worried about you!

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I was worried about everyone except Daveed; that mofo's too hard to kill...

Darth_Invidious and poor yorick like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He had to live to drop the Chile bomb.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

the one where Jose does a long slow 270 degree turn and slams into Satellite Beach

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think it should hit Barbuda again. It's like Aliens...

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Stay the **** away from eastern NC, Jose.

My Mom broke and dislocated her shoulder and it's going to have to be reconstructed, and soon. A storm and power outages would cause issues there along with all the other issues it would cause.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Uh, that sucks. Not her wine glass holding arm's shoulder I hope?

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, it isn't, that was the one blessing. :p It's her left which is the nondominant side.

Sarge, JoinTheSchwarz and Diggy like this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Here in Atlanta, the tropical storm version of Irma keeps going and going. We've had heavy rain and bursts of heavy wind going since noon, and it's not supposed to slow down at all until midnight. Lots of power loss and downed trees in the metro area in general, but luckily for us we've had neither of those issues so far. It's nothing compared to most of Florida, but still.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Aftermath: Friends and family are okay, but many don't have power and don't expect it for days... or even weeks. I realize how lucky I am, especially seeing the height of the storm here. Damage is mostly small tree limbs around here. Idiots were already on the road around 7 am, when we still had tropical storm force winds and a curfew. The running joke is that the "I-4 Eyesore" - this big, unfinished building that has sat for 20 years towering over the area - is the one building everyone wanted the storm to destroy but survived intact.

This week is going to be busy - I work with handling disaster unemployment claims in the state. While I don't deal with them directly, we're going to have to get up to speed to make sure people can sign up as quickly as possible.

Also: Jose, what the hell?

Sarge, Point Given and Juliet316 like this.