main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Image heavy]A thread for art: See note on page 776

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  2. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    One day I might have to hunt up some Gene Colan Dr Strange issues. The first Batman issues I ever bought were done by Gene Colan.

4. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    You won't regret it if you do.

While I'm not a fan of Doctor Strange with the mask, Eternity makes up for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and Tony Harris Doctor Strange

[​IMG]

6. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Sadly, a Doctor Strange idea that never saw the light. Doom Metal artist Arik Roper and his friend (whose name escapes me now) saw Strange as an Occult Shop owner who reluctantly gets caught up in all things weird.

This was the concept art from 2010. Note the marquee. The surroundings make me think of the East Village back then (the 1970s.) I'd read or watch this in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

8. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Reminde me a bit of the beatnik sorcerer Johnny Beyond from Alan Moore's 1963 line

[​IMG]

It's a fun idea and something that might work for an elsewold but it do feel more John Constantine then Dr. Strange

10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Gamiel - I'd say that more for Alan Moore's 1963 homage (that house is an obvious wink to Strange's pad on Bleeker Street, plus the date) than what Roper and friend came up with. :p I do like the character's name though (Johnny Beyond - should the name of a singer in an acid rock band.)

Roper's Strange looks like the guys that used to run an Occult shop I frequented in the 1980s (Magickal Childe on 18th Street - which, sadly, no longer exists.)

It's a fun idea I wish Marvel ran with, given how well Roper captured the desolate skanky-ness of certain parts of 1970s Manhattan and how aptly Stephen fits in. Note Stephen's Mjolnir slung around his neck. Not too trendy or much a of another Marvel wink. ;) It's certainly better than the stuff Marvel comics is passing off as Doctor Strange these past few years (I dig the movie. The comics not so much.)

Hellblazer eh? Ah, but that's the beauty of the different of opinion, makes for a fun debate. :)

Master_Rebado likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As I said, it is a fun idea and I do wonder how they would do the rest of the Marvel-'verse, if we go after the consept art so are Shang-Chi, Iron Fist and Power-Man Movie characters* but what about the rest of it. Maybe we could combine it with James Stokoe's Spider-'Nam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    from https://orcstain.wordpress.com/

* and now I want to see 70's martial arts movies loosely based on those characters

12. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Gamiel - brilliant! =D= And, yes, you did say fun. :)

And you know Punisher already fits in.

BTW, in Brubaker's Cap. Bucky escaped from his Russian handlers in NY during 1973. So the Winter Soldier could slip in as well if you write with the tweak that his Russian handlers lost sight of him for years instead of weeks.

And now I'm seeing Banner developing serums for 'Nam Troops (Agent Green anyone?) and something went terribly wrong, of course.

I'd read or watch this line stat.

Gamiel and Master_Rebado like this.
  14. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ They look like too much fun to be leaving that kind of carnage in their wake. :p

16. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Nosfera-too? (Sorry) :p

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent, Gamiel and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

Punisher would definitely fit.

There would be no Captain America, or rhater there would be one but it would not be Steve Rodgers (he would still be frozen, if not dead in this reality). Instead U.S. army had a new super soldier in patriotic colours that they send to Vietnam: Nuke.

I think Banner would have something similar to his HULK/Incredible Hulk (movies) origin where he is working one something that officially involved radiation/poison resistance and either tested it on himself or something went wrong.

Iron-Man would have his classic origin but probably would be suffering a lot more from PTSD and his armour would probably be less advanced then it was in the Iron-Man comics in the later 70’s. This world feel less super-sciencey then the normal Marvel to me

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I like the idea of science not being as evolved as it was in the normal Marvel U and think that Tony being a bit more troubled would work nicely.

LOL Sabata...if we're borrowing from spaghetti westerns for Frank, perhaps the gatling gun from Django? :D

Yep. Definitely no, Cap since he was on ice.

I also thought of Moon Knight with a big ol' tweak. Marc would be the Egyptologist whose interest in the Kabbalah leads him to Doctor Strange's shop and there he finds out about and is ultimately bound to the Hebrew angel of vengeance, Mar Mavet (flip it to where Marc accepts his birth faith and runs with it. Kind of like a good version of Zohar but far more powerful.) You could even do the whole possession thing and have Strange try to exorcise Marc and that goes awry (albeit in a good way. Tap into the whole Exorcism interest that Friedkin's Exorcist bought up.)

Black Widow keep as a K.G.B. agent: She could be hunting for Bucky (especially if the romantic slant Bru wrote for those two was kept intact.)

Blade could fit easily, no changes necessary.

Of course, Logan has to look like Clint Eastwood because Mark Texiera established that already and then he could fight himself :p a la "What if Wolverine battled Weapon X..." (okay that was an excuse to put art in this post since I realize my fan fic blabbering is not sticking to this topic without art.)

[​IMG]

Omega Red could be another Winter Soldier.

Sabertooth could be another Banner failure unless Bruce headed up Weapon X and I am seriously digressing.

And one more because this is one of my most favorite Weapon X drawings BW-S did.

[​IMG]

20. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Batman's Batmobile is so distinctive. I've often wondered what the strategy was. Why he didn't want to blend in more.

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Carl Gustav Carus (1789–1869) - Faust im Studierzimmer (Faust in His Study) 1851

[​IMG]

Guess I don't need to say the title /artist.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know, maybe. But I have found a fanart of Punisher as a 70's vigliant

[​IMG]
    from https://denism79.deviantart.com/

Interesting ideas.

I would like to add one change, have him speek 70's cockney and hip britt slang.

Wolverine and Sabertooth could have a background similar to the one they are given in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, two men (they don't need to be brothers) who have just been going from war to war since they don't really know anyhting else, now recruited by CIA/similar for a black ops team.

To add to this, the question is if Nuke would be the mad and violent American Nightmare that he is in 616 or if he maybe would be something more like First Blood’s John Rambo

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.