main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    yeah i'd be really surprised if CT and KK differed over rey's parentage in the way this implies. KK is like "no CT we can only retell the original saga again for a new generation. therefore there is a required "i am your father" reveal in the second movie." and CT is like "wtf? i was so quote-end-quote innovative when i made jurassic world and it was so much like the first movie only with no soul! oh wait, that wasn't innovative..."

guittarjedi likes this.
  2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I don't think Lord and Miller understood how big budget Hollywood films actually work.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Would be interesting if all this raised due to the death of Carrie and the necessary rewritings or if they had those problems right from the start.

If I had writen IX and something happens that I have to rewrite it again completely I would have at least some frustration and problems to invent the stuff again.
    IMO he did not get the rewrites right.

4. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

i agree, I think the simplest explanation is rewrite tensions boiling over with neither side giving in and there would only be one winner in that. Vulture going down the "rich, entitled SOB" angle reeks of corporate propaganda.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  5. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Well after seeing what he did with Jurassic World, I wasn't that excited for his take on Star Wars anyway.

JW was a movie that 7 year old me would have loved, but it wouldn't have aged well. That's fine for a creature feature type of movie, but Star Wars I hold in a little bit higher esteem (obviously) and I expect those films to be more timeless and something I could have enjoyed at any age.

Trikuza23 and guittarjedi like this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I disagree. In the first interview with Trevorrow that I watched, he was positively dripping with that attitude. A sort of self-satisfied, bland, passionless confidence that I knew was a problem. A marked contrast from RJ and Edwards, IMO (and JJ) who have been humble, passionate and interesting when talking about their respective SW films.

7. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    What interview was this? I haven't really bothered watching any of his interviews in recent times, i must admit.

8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Not sure, but it's somewhere in this thread and I commented on it then.

Mister Bones likes this.
  9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    You have to take that assessment with a grain of salt though, I've never seen anyone hate a person as much as Gigoran Monk hates Trevorrow. ;)

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Lol. I don't hate him! In fact, I stated that I felt bad for the guy after he was fired. It's gotta sting to lose a Star Wars film that you had in your hand. Especially after the critical disaster that was Book of Henry.

No, I don't hate him. I just think he's one of the worst directors around, and generally clueless about women. :)

redxavier and Birkendoc like this.
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Sadly, I'm sure the passing of Carrie played a part.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  12. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    We are looking at a Dark Knight Rises situation. Sadly, I just don't see how anything they come up with will feel right with Carrie gone... Might be good but won't be what it could have been.

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Interesting new article regarding RJ

http://www.slashfilm.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-episode-9/

He basically says he is not sure what is going on right now with it and that he has been fully focused on TLJ. Though he never actually says he won't be directing IX.

I really feel that if they don't announce a new director by the end of this week or next that RJ is the man and they are just waiting for TLJ to come out to announce it so he can fully focus on the movie that is being released in a few months instead of the one that is still almost two years away.

15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
  16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    It's not much of an argument, really. He's squeezing Trevorrow's career for every ounce of positivity that he can, and it takes a lot of squeezing to do so. It basically boils down to "JW made a lot of money, even though it was kinda sexist, and TBoH was kinda crappy but I liked it because it's weird." Not exactly a compelling case for the guy closing out a Star Wars trilogy.

18. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    It's just hard to agree with his argument. Especially considering that he seems to be one of the two people in the world who actually liked BoH.

19. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    He does give a strong argument on false memes on the internet. You could include OT being a critical hit in their initial release or the PT being terrible.

Btw, let's compare CT with LK regarding costs, BO, and RT ratings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Henry

And yet who here is calling for LK's head because of his mishandling YHS?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darling_Companion

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Colin can get the benefit of the doubt after he's made anything close to The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark or Silverado.

21. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I love movies LK directed, like Body Heat and Silverado, movies he directed. But Jos last film was just as bad critically as BoH and did far worse financially. And none of his directorial efforts can match the BO of JW, not bad for a second feature.

Did you read the article? He never said he liked the movie.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Um... one of his films is the highest domestic grossing film of all time.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  23. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Um, back in the day we said PPOR. Which of his directorial efforts is one of highest domestic grossing films of all time?

24. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    A lot of Hollywood directors are like that.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Why are you limiting it to just his directorial efforts? He's not directing the Han Solo movie so comparing him to Trevorrow isn't really fair in that regard. By all accounts his work on the film is what they are trying to salvage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.