main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Sure, he tries to paint a nuanced picture here, but in another piece, he called it "perfectly okay".He also calls it "refreshingly original" and "competently directed". [face_sick]

2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    One issue raised in the article was BoH, CT's most recent pre-SW, which he directed. Yet LK's most recent pre-SW film, which co-wrote and directed, did no better critically and far worse financially. This didn't prevent KK hiring him for VII as creative consultant--later screenwriter--and perhaps uncredited co-producer. Why? He knows SW and she's worked with him. He did great with VII. And then there's YHS.

Regarding CT, he has directed a very successful Hollywood blockbuster on only his second outing. How did he get the job? KK saw SNG, loved it, interviewed CT for VII, and then recommended him first to her hubby for JW. Just as DC didn't derail LK working on 2 more SW films. And it's only conjecture that BoH derailed CT allegedly getting fired for IX.

Meanwhile, LK has to take responsibility for hiring CM and PL to direct YHS and not making sure they give him what he wanted.

Maybe he did give a nuanced picture of a film he "didn't hate," that wasn't as good in the second half, "somewhat cops out in the end," and is "a really weird movie that bites off more than it can chew."

3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The fact remains that Kasdan has proven himself 10 times over, and has a lot of cachet because of his track record. Trevorrow made a quirky indie flick and (admittedly) a huge franchise film, but then immediately sunk to the critical and commercial depths with his "passion project". It's hard to emphasise just how poorly received BoH was--it wasn't a misfire, it was the sort of film that retroactively taints everything else in a director's portfolio. Trevorrow's CV just didn't have the built-up goodwill to take that kind of a beating.

TK327, Axrendale, Trikuza23 and 5 others like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sorry but that's just a terrible point to try and make. Kasdan is a well respected filmmaker with numerous successes under his belt. Including successes with this very franchise. Trevorrow has made one box office hit. There is absolutely no comparison between the two.

5. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    The point I'm making is I doubt BoH influenced the decision.

As for LK, I loved his early films and was disappointed he didn't help out with TPM--a decision he made bc he felt GL should make the film he wanted, not bc he didn't believe in it as the author of The Secret History of SW claims. In fact, LK liked TPM. When I heard he joined VII and Anthology, I was elated.

However, just prior to VII, what was his track record?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Producer&id=lawrencekasdan.htm

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/lawrence_kasdan

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I get that. I do think BoH had some influence in the decision but ultimately I think it was Trevorrow's inability to crack the story in a satisfying way. As for Kasdan I think when you have the kind of career he has it builds up a certain amount of good will that someone like Trevorrow just doesn't have yet. He can afford a clunker here and there when he has ESB and Raiders of the Lost Ark on his resume. In short Kasdan has the clout that Trevorrow doesn't and was able to deliver on the job they gave him in a way Trevorrow wasn't.

7. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    In the mid-'90s, Kasdan was a successful writer-director in his own right who had no reason to subject himself again to what happened on ROTJ. That's all the explanation you need for why he passed on writing TPM.

I don't think Henry was what tipped the scales for LFL regarding Trevorrow--it was the scripts he was turning in. But being an egomaniac with a recent critical and commercial failure surely wouldn't have helped matters. You have to consider the whole picture.

8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Just saw that Jaeden Lieberher, who plays Henry in BoH, is also one of the kids in It. At least someone managed to turn that debacle around. :)

9. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Just going on his words why he passed on TPM. Have we really established he was an egomaniac? There are various explanations for his no longer being the director of Ix.

I'm curious how good the script may or may not have been prior to Fisher's death. But even if it was on its way to being what KK wanted prior to Fisher's death, if CT couldn't rewrite satisfactorily sans Leia, then KK made the right decision.

10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Trevorrow's a hack. It's clear as day, IMO.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Seriously anyone who isn't sure whether this was a good move just needs to watch The Book of Henry. Trust me. I've seen it and it haunts me to this day.

12. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    To be honest, I'm not even clear on Mendelson's point. Obviously we don't want filmmakers to abandon quirky passion projects. But passion projects are revealing by their very nature. The risk is always going to be that people don't share your passions. Trevorrow's passion project actively repulsed people. Of course that's going to have consequences.

13. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Not so clear that Kennedy considered him for VII (though she always wanted JJ and was relentless to get him), then referred him to Marshall and Spielberg for JE where he succeeded.

All I've seen so far is his short film on YT. If I ever get time I'll watch SNG, JW, and BoH.

I wondered why KK didn't get JJ to do all 3. Maybe just to get him to do 1 after he initially refused was victory enough--and he has his own projects. When. I first heard RJ would do VIII and IX, I thought that'd be great. Hopefully he'll be offered and accept.

14. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Kennedy did not consider Trevorrow for VII. She considered Bird for VII, and Bird recommended Trevorrow handle pre-production on VII while he completed post-production on Tomorrowland.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  15. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Trevorrow wanted RJ to kill off Rey and Leia in TLJ so he could concentrate on the male characters! ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

16. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    after everyone talking about it here, im wondering if I should hate-watch it lol

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I've been worried about this movie since I first heard he would be directing it. Thank God it won't be him. And I don't care about his latest movie; haven't even seen it. His old stuff is bad enough. He should never have been considered for this.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Sounds like a good one for Halloween.

19. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Nah, he would have Rey seduce Leia to get revenge on Kylo...

DarkMark and What Girl like this.
  20. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Home Base, the next superweapon after Starkiller Base.

21. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    Meh, Scott Mendelson seems to have something against Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy in particular. It's weird.

https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/877535865047719937

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...has-been-spoiled-by-its-success/#59e35c3e1a68

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...m-with-disneys-star-wars-movies/#59e504a9d879

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...bad-news-disneys-star-wars-saga/#1065081fb6c4

I'll say this - however much money Jurassic World made, if Trevorrow's Episode IX scripts were of similar standard to his JW effort, it's no wonder he was given the boot.

22. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Yeah, Mendelson stanning for Trevorrow here is such a weird hill for him to die on. Seems like it's probably fueled by some beef he has against KK and Lucasfilm in particular.

In all seriousness, KK would have to actively try to sabotage herself here in order for the new director of Episode IX to be anything other than a tremendous upgrade from the likes of Trevorrow. He was never a good fit for the series.

DarkMark likes this.
  23. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

This movie make me traumatized. Everytime I read this name I'm already like
    [​IMG]

Trikuza23 and DarkMark like this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  25. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4