main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I hope with the picture potentially locking next month that means the novel and movie will be more in-sync.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Keep the cover!

3. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Congrats, Jason. =D= Quite the pleasant surprise, to be sure. :)

4. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Yes! Great news, and it's fun to see the universal positivity here.

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Not a problem per se. Maybe "Ordu Aspectu" is High Galactic or Atrisian Basic for "Ordu Aspectu." ;) At any rate, I fully trust jasonfry to do something with it some time in the future, if given the opportunity.

6. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    it is nice Jason fry is writing the last jedi novel. I hope it will be good

7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    How's the script, Jason? Am I going to like this movie?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think I found a suitable way to express my excitement.

[​IMG]

Darth_Duck and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    mm, space Latin.

Valin__Kenobi and LelalMekha like this.
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Plo Koon: Not very subtle

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, of course I meant " (...) Atrisian Basic for 'Order of the Terrible Glare.'" But I'm sure you all got it. ^^

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm happy that Jason Fry got a chance to write a movie novelization. It's someone different. The only request that I have for Jason with The Last Jedi Novel is that please, describe the color of the lasers that are fired and lightsabers. For example, Rey ignited her bright blue lightsaber blade and clashed with Kylo's red bladed weapon, or something like that. I say this because not everyone will watch the movie, and I remember my cousin asking me when he read TFA novel, what color was that chicks lightsaber again? He was one that didn't watch the movie. Just a little bit more description with the color of the lightsabers and lasers, and no sea foam color, or sea color, or cyan. If its blue its blue, no cerulean, if its aqua its aqua no derivative of the same stuff. Other than that, congrats.

13. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    but sea foam and sea and cyan and blue and cerulean and aqua are all different colors...

also appropriate would be navy, teal, turquoise, baby blue, powder blue, ice, royal blue, sky blue, deep blue, blue-green, blue-gray, cobalt, iris, azure, sapphire, etc.

It's not a matter of synonyms, it's a matter of specificity and descriptiveness. You can call it blue here and then cyan in the next sentence because repetition is dull, but both are technically correct because cyan is a shade of blue. And maybe in different lights the shade changes, and so why wouldn't it be appropriate to call it cyan in scene 3 and the color of the sea in scene 42?

On the other hand, the color is not as big of a detail as how it is used. If the color is never mentioned, maybe the book just isn't very descriptive. But if I never know who's holding the lightsaber, or whether the lightsaber is on or off, that cuts into my understanding of what's happening and is far more problematic.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So what are we saying, that we don't want anything like:

Kylo's crimson weapon throbbed ominously.....

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Lol...please put that line in the book!

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    To my complete surprise, the TLJ novelization, being written by Jason Fry has been pushed back to March 6, 2018!!! It says so here on the Random House website
    http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/562319/the-last-jedi-star-wars-by-jason-fry/ebook

I don't know why the hell this is happening. Maybe to prevent leaks for the movie? But that doesn't make sense either since the book was supposed to release the same day as the movie. This leaves a gaping hole in the book order. October has an anthology, and December has the pseudo-novel Canto Bight. Something should be announced soon to come around February? I really REALLY hope that they won't stop making Star Wars novels. Its (after the movies of course), the best thing about Star Wars. They already stopped having Star Wars Insider publish original short stories. Has Disney decided that people don't like Star Wars literature anymore, and will they only focus on comics and animated shows in 2018? Maybe they didn't like the selling numbers that the books get. I'm probably overreacting, but you never know.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope that's a glitch cuz if it's March 2018 then the paperback would be, like, December 2018

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Yeah, you're overacting. Lol. And not mildly. Also, they do still publish stories in SW Insider. But a lot less frequently...which does bug the **** out of me.

Star Wars is publishing so much literature right now. More than in a long, long time. A wild conspiracy theory that they will stop making novels is just, well...short sighted is the nicest way I can put it.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Do they. They have stopped completely, haven't they?

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm pretty sure an upcoming issue has one...I think.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Ok, so I did a quick look. The last short story in Star Wars Insider was a Blade Squadron story in issue 172, released in April. They are now on issue 175, released just this month, September.

So that's three issues in a row without a short story. Which sucks hard.

The next couple issue don't look like there will be short stories either...but that could change.

I'll be pretty ticked if they've stopped. Three issues with no stories is already not worth what I paid for the subscription. I'd save money buying single issues when a story is published.

But...SWI has waffled on short stories back and forth many times.

I'm hoping this trend is due to all the short story effort that went into the upcoming anthology.

But it doesn't look good. Has anyone heard official word?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

22. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Official word: no more short stories in Insider. None in 2017 and I would not expect any in 2018.

This isn't really related to the From a Certain Point of View anthology.

Diego Lucas and Stymi like this.
  23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Any word on why? Will there be another venue in which we'll be seeing more published short stories?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

24. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Mostly a bandwidth and priorities decision. It might appear that writing a short story is a lot easier and faster than a novel - and it is, but not by much. We put as much diligence and effort into creating the shorts as we do the novels, which adds more work and pressure and creates more challenges. Now imagine doing one of those for every novel many times with the short arriving before the book. Suddenly you've added a massive additional workload on top of a full publishing schedule. And our goal isn't do just do little short stories to satisfy the unending craving for more Star Wars. We want the shorts to be as important and interesting as our novels. We want them to explore ideas and themes that the books might only touch on, or give primacy to a character that isn't in the scope of a novel or was merely a background character.

Could that change and we start doing shorts again in Insider or elsewhere? Sure, of course, we love doing them, we know readers enjoy them and they're a lot of fun. Who doesn't love bonus Star Wars? Personally I have several ideas for shorts that I'd love to get developed. Heck, I took a character from a dormant short-story concept and turned him into my next SW RPG character. But it's just not feasible right now and if we can't do them well were aren't going to force it.

Ask me again in 6 months and things might be different (though I doubt it).

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If short stories have now stopped in SWI does that leave room for all the published stories to be collected into an anthology book for those that missed them?

kalzeth, SWpants and Force Smuggler like this.