main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

So the ending of the ST will be what we thought the ending of the OT was?

Creation of a New New Jedi Order, Luke potentially as its Grand Master or if he dies, Rey as the new hope of the Jedi, and the Empire/First Order destroyed.

I really hope they will surprise us somehow and the ending of the trilogy won't be what everybody's expecting.

Like Rey dying in Ep. IX and instead the redeemed Ben becoming Jedi again.

T-R- likes this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Thanks god you are not from the storygroup. [face_relieved]

3. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Luke as a wolves fan.
    [​IMG]

4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Snoke's words from TFA have always made me believe that there will be more Jedi than just Rey and Luke emerge. Not sure how it will play out exactly. We shall have to wait and see?

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  5. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002

Even if it's just the two of them, active and fighting the First Order at the end of TLJ and in IX, that's already taking us into different territory than the OT.

6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
  7. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    Pablo's tweet about how rebuilding the Jedi was never Luke's goal (saving his father was) makes me wonder if it will be Rey's goal. The purpose she discovers, her place in the world, is to be the one who wants to assume the responsibility of taking this legendary order forward.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

So do I.

However asking for Luke to be more powerful than the two most powerful Force users we've seen, combined, is asking him to be a super human, over the top, comic character.

There's prime, and then there's just the absurd.

JoJoPenelli and DarkMark like this.
  9. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    That would be terrible. [face_plain]

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  10. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    His tweet said that restarting the Order was others' plans *for* him.

Which I took as confirmation that the Jedi stuff was never at the heart of Luke's arc.

jaqen

I suspect MrDarth0 was engaging in a bit of hyperbole.

MrDarth0 and Master_Lok like this.
  11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    Well that is definitely some interesting stuff. Not sure how to feel about that to be honest.

12. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think many people want that, but I never really felt Luke should be that powerful, considering how minimal his training was, and how late he started. It would be like if somebody started training to become a pianist because his father was a brilliant pianist, but this person didn't start practicing until he was 20 years old, and then he skipped out of piano school to hang out with his friends, and when he finally returned to school, his teacher immediately dropped dead, and every other pianist who could possibly train him was also dead. Chances are, this person wouldn't end up being such a brilliant pianist.
    (I know I'm oversimplifying it, but still....)

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm kinda hoping Luke runs into another Mentor Figure of sorts after he starts his Journey of locating Jedi Lore. I guess LST could provide that in a way, but since LST isn't Force sensitive, he would be rather limited I think on what he could teach him.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I have no issue with the restart of the order not being Luke's plan, especially with the arc it seems like they are using for Luke. It could ultimately fall upon Rey to do this, but honestly, not sure I want the Jedi Order yet again, if all it's good for is essentially failing ever few millennia.

If Luke's arc was there for him to make things right in the galaxy (including passing down his heart and compassion to Rey), that works for me.

Jedi Master Scorpio

Maz could be that be that mentor, or even a Guardian of the Whills.

15. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I just say it would be an awful depressive message if at the end of the ST we see that Luke was not with his whole heart into the Jedi thing so he failed and a new new hope has to do it right. [face_plain]

16. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I think Luke will be instrumental in the Jedi returning.

I just don't believe that it was or is the heart of his character arc.

17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Was starting a Jedi order something Luke truly wanted to do, or merely something he felt he had to do, being the last Jedi and all?

It's a good question to explore.

Ben-Solo, JoJoPenelli and oncafar like this.
  18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015

Theory:

Maybe he found out that he was the one to bring the balance - but in a different way.

Luke did not bring down the Sith. It was Vader at the end by killing the Emperor while sacrificing himself.
    Luke only gave the spark to start the balancing event.

-> After the Jedi and Sith were gone: good and dark was on a minimum level of balance, but a bit too positive with Luke and Leia being present

When he started to train Jedis the balance moved out of line quickly. It was not up to him to train Jedis and this was his misunderstanding
    He was the one who brought the balance too fast out of line again. -> Kylo and Snoke raised too quickly to be compensated by Luke and his students

Maybe his destiny was to keep the balance on a low level and by providing another "spark" if necessary.
    While the dark side would rise slow as time goes by (because of the small light side presence of Luke and Leia) his destiny (spark event) could have been to train someone who rebuilds a light side counterpart at the right time to bring the balance again. This one had yet to come - and now her name is Rey.

Mark is just making the event for bringing balance but not able to create balance by himself.
    It needs more powerful force users like Vader or Rey

Just a thought

19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I really like the way this is heading - it seems to be truly acknowledging what the prequels had to say about the failings of the Order and looking at the genuine question of what Luke wants to do and should do.

If you watch the films and try to see things from Luke's point of view totally, and forget about general assumptions about the Jedi, then both the Jedi who trained him lied to him and omitted the truth, both told him he had to kill his father (and were proved wrong) .
    If you then go back and watch the prequels and imagine that his is information that Luke was receiving, and look especially at how the order failed to help Anakin when he went to them for help about visions of death (telling him to rejoice for the people who die) and how they put him in a politically difficult position with Palpatine (not to mention that they also unknowingly placed him with the person who corrupted him) and would Luke really, truly want to resurrect THAT Jedi order?

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'd see it as Luke having more a crisis of faith. That at one point he was all in on it, but then moved away from it later in his life and wasn't as dedicated as he once was. I think that preserves the Luke we came to know at the end of ROTJ and still allows for this possible scenario to play out to have played out at one point in the backstory. And if Luke trains Rey to do it right, if she is the new new hope, then I would still see it as Luke's legacy being carried on through her.

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    From a genuinely ethical point of view, and considering that the Jedi order took children from a very young age, before they could consent, there is no question at all that once the Sith were gone, the right thing to do would be to let knowledge of how to manipulate the force die with him

Darth Smurf likes this.
  22. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. An overpowered Jedi Order is no balance at all.

Maybe his words: "It's time for the Jedi to end" are in connection with:
    As soon as the FO/Kylo are defeated "It's time for the Jedi to end"

23. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Why not begin teaching them when they're older?

I seriously doubt Luke's students were kids when he began training them. He simply wouldn't have had the resources or infrastructure to do so, anyway.

Darth Smurf

The problem is, powerful Dark Side users will always pop up. Lor San Tekka's comment about the Jedi being needed for balance is an indication of the creators' mindset re the Jedi, imo.

24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Great point. And it's likely that the Jedi can simply be keepers of the Force in order for Dark Side users to not be able to take full control, since history has shown this possibility often enough, and if the Jedi were not around to stop it, who would be?

themoth likes this.
  25. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe they are needed to bring BACK the balance. But when balance is achieved they need to disappear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.