main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I'm not going to change your mind dude, so. He's made a lot of movies a lot of people like. You don't. Cool.

Stymi likes this.
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wut.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, that's it, the sequels are ruined. Has someone posted the NNNNOOOOOOO!!!! gif yet? Guess it'll probably end up like Lost, vague and confusing.

I can understand why they went with him, he's got a lot of big movies and TV shows, but still really disappointed.

4. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Speaking as someone who liked the ending of Lost, JJ Abrams had absolutely nothing to do with the show after the third season. So whether you enjoyed the ending to it or not, do not judge Abrams by it. There are plenty of other things to judge him by.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I would have preferred Rian Johnson, but JJ isn't a bad choice. A few things I'd like to see as improvements from TFA:

1. Make this a distinct and unique story conclusion (i.e. no ROTJ remake). I'm fairly sure, given the main criticism of TFA was its similarity to ANH that JJ will try his best to avoid that comparison again.
    2. Improve upon the design work. The main criticism I had of TFA was the fact the planets were bland and the design work wasn't the greatest. RJ seems to have improved significantly upon this with TLJ, so I'm hoping that JJ follows suit. Don't just have another desert planet, another green hilly planet, a snow planet, etc, etc. Make the planets other-worldly and distinctive.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic that JJ will do a good job. Just make the story unique and the design work better and I think this will be a great conclusion.

Gamiel and SilentGuy66 like this.
  6. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
  7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I have mixed feelings about having JJ coming back, but I definitely know I'm not looking forward to people using the name "Jar Jar Abrams" more often again. :(

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes! This.

Hyperbole much bro?

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I just know we're getting starkiller base 2 now! :(

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Darn it, I was just planing to post this then I find out a new director have been chosen

14. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I think Nick Meyer, director of Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, probably describes the fears of many of us regarding JJ Abrams in a very good quote about JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness at https://trekmovie.com/2014/10/10/ex...ray-reacts-to-into-darkness-death-scene-more/ :

TrekMovie: How did you feel about the death scene between your ‘Wrath of Khan’ and the one in ‘Into Darkness?’ Some fans felt it was a bit of a rip-off of the scene in Star Trek II. Did you see it as an homage to Star Trek II? Did you feel privileged that the scene was recreated in such a way?
    Nicholas Meyer: Well, you have to be flattered that somebody wants to sort of try and make your movie again. But the difference is between a rip-off and an homage is that you are supposed to add something.

So it's not just fans saying this about JJ Abrams, established directors are saying it too...

15. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    I finally understand this scene. It wasn't overly dramatic after all.

16. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014

TFA could be an introductory movie if you lived in a culture where SW was popular. Even if somebody hadn't seen the films, they knew who Luke, Leia and Han were. They also likely knew about the Millennium Falcon or the Force. TFA only required you to know about the most popular things in Star Wars, but they still were requirements. I think that's why it received such a lukewarm reception in China where SW isn't a massive cultural landmark.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ouch, that's going to burn.

18. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Disney wants you to look back fondly on Lucas and his filmmaking abilities. It's all a double bluff.

Revyl Ren and Gamiel like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TFA is making me look back fondly on certain aspects of DNT, LOTF, and FOTJ. So there is that.

Abadacus likes this.
  20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Seductive is the Denning side of Legends.

Gamiel and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I love me some Force Awakens, I totally approve of this message! Although, I will only be annoyed if the climax is Starkiller Base Snoke Throne Room versus Rey and Kylo Ren. Too bad the release date got moved, JJ has locked us forevermore into December Star Wars release dates.

Hey, at least this time people won't be complaining about lens flares for years.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Perhaps but the Killiks and Abeloth are far more interesting than the FO.
    Still despise what they did with Jacen and other characters aside from Alema in LOTF, Raynar in FOTJ before Apocalypse, Ben the detective, etc.
    But at least the villains were interesting.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As for Chris Terrio, the plot of Batman V Superman is pretty weaksauce, but that was mostly Synder's story (take aside the "Martha" patch of dialogue, which Synder also came up with) but I do like some of the dialogue banter in BvS, especially the Lex ramblings. And Argo is a pretty fantastic script top to bottom.

I will say, he does seem the most left field pick, I'm shocked they didn't go for the Kassadan / Abrams duo again.

25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Every time I hear Abeloth, I get traumatic flashbacks.

Ghost likes this.