main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014

Fair enough, Temeura Morrison is pretty dang great, and the inter-mission bits are dope, not going to argue against that. But I guess it feels like that was the story, the audio, and it didn't take advantage of the format of being a game to tell the story at all. It was just a cool audiobook tacked onto a solid game.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Stymi
    First we need to know who the trolls are.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The point of these kinds of discussions is to contribute. Even if I don't agree with guys like SpecForce Trooper and Dread Pirate Roberts , I respect that they have strong feelings about this stuff and can actually hold a debate about it. This is why I have issues with people like Point_Of_View who just say something without any points behind it. I agree with JediBatman; If bad arguments aren't called out for being just that, then we won't reach any meaningful discussions.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Honestly my biggest issue with it right now, aside from being annoyed that once again we have Hollywood's philosophy of "keep everything as mysterious and unclear as possible because that's the only good way to tell a story in our minds" rearing it's ugly head, is that while the ST story so far works well on it's own, it's a terrible payoff to the end of ROTJ imo.

Think of it like this, if someone were to ask me "do you think that TFA is a good movie?" I would say "yes, yes it is."

If someone were to ask "do you think that TFA is a good sequel to ROTJ" however, my answer would have to be "no, not really."

5. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    JediBatman

Ok fam I'll give it to you straight. I obviously have nothing good to say about TFA; I think the entire project is rotten to the core. I don't think it's even possible for me to have a sincere conversation about such a cynical movie. Once you get past the initial wave of disgust, watching TFA is like watching nothing at all, unless you use your imagination and let yourself be offended by every minor mistake/detail or production error. The negatives outweigh the positive in this film by such a huge margin that it's more practical to just focus on the negative and to try and find the meaning in that. However, instead of asking the classic, constructive questions such as "What went wrong?", I'd rather just keep strip mining the piece of **** for whatever hatefuel I can find. Because the truth is, everything went wrong. Somehow, TFA is engineered to be the cinematic equivalent of a punching bag. The darkest question of all is, whether or not the masses are yet ready to realize this. Meanwhile, all I have left to work with are stormtrooper extras with canted, ill-fitting helmets.

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    This has to be a troll.

7. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I have very deep problems with TFA. It is broken to me on fundamental levels. I can't really watch it. I feel a bit sick in the stomach. I wouldn't say it was "engineered to be the cinematic equivalent of a punching bag", though. It was clearly made to please. It just couldn't please me. Also, "fam".

Daneira likes this.
  8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't understand what is you dislike about TFA. Is it the humor? The characters? The story? Surely it's more than just a few lines and ill-fitted stormtroopers. Please explain without memes.

JediBatman and Daneira like this.
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I've watched the Room.

I've watched The Lazarus Project.

I've watched Double Down.

Believe what you want about The Force Awakens, but it has nothing on some actually awful movies.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Comparing The Room to TFA is like comparing a basement ambient noise performance to a U2 concert. As in, you can't really judge them by the same parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    My qualms are solely about the new adult novels (although I read 'Ahsoka' as well. That plot had to have been designed in less than two minutes.)

I have not read the comics, simply because it is a very expensive endeavor, but I've heard good things about the Darth Vader series.

I'm torn with TFA, of course I loved it when I first saw it. I watched it five times in theaters, and I told myself I loved it for the better part of a year. But eventually I had to admit to myself that despite having a wonderful cast of new characters, the plot was a total letdown. A piece of me died when they showed Starkiller Base onscreen for the first time.

Rebels isn't as good as TCW, but I've enjoyed it for sure. It is interesting and a great kids show. I'm about halfway through it, and I've heard it gets better.

All around I should say I'm alright with the New Canon. I hold the prequels in a very special place in my heart and I hate when people insult them, so I feel I should back off the New Canon.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    A movie doesn't have to be big budget to be good, and a movie doesn't have to be a small production to be bad.

Its just movies. And I judge them all on the same criteria.

13. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    TFA is an okay movie on it's own. The plot really isn't good IMO, but it's still enjoyable. It fails for me as a Star Wars film. It's only a bad movie in comparison to it's peers.

kalzeth likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Man, you guys are uptight, defensive, and humorless.

Regardless of whether or not unironically is trolling, I agree with him, and understand his comments. TFA is a ******* disaster, and I have a hard time even talking about it without going completely nuts. I've honestly held myself back, especially in this forum, because I know I'd cross the line. You should see what I just deleted. It was completely insane, and even I could recognize it.

Abadacus, AusStig, B3 and 3 others like this.
  15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I think that's a pretty fair comparison. I enjoyed it as a movie and as a star wars movie, but I think the criticism of it that i've sympathized with the most is that its a letdown in comparison to the end of RotJ.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *raises a finger*

Let's take a step back please, some of you. If you're going to start calling people names, you can stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One point I didn't mention earlier which has been an unexpected delight is the quality of the YA and, in the case of the Servants of the Empire, younger still material.

It's had some quite stunning authors working on it, in some cases that doesn't surprise me at all for I've been a long-time fan of Greg Rucka, but the likes of Bracken and Gray were wholly new to me. While Fry I only knew from his reference writing, which is a different beastie altogether.

18. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'm perfectly willing and able to have a conversation with someone even when we disagree and have a different opinion. But instead of telling me WHY you don't like TFA, what specific problems you have with it, you have repeatedly ranted about crooked stormtrooper helmets. You have admitted to "making up" faults with the movie, and, well, I think the parts I bolded speak for themselves.

You don't want to be "constructive". You don't want to "have a sincere conversation". If that's the case, then I'm afraid we have nothing more to say to each other.

19. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    So you are Punisher286 at TvTropes? Ok good to know. :p

20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    It aiiiiight

21. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Also, like, the guy is tilting his head, anyway....

22. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    The new cannon to me at the moment is alright but is not coming out at a pace I like,right now we have a few books to choose from and not one of them I think I'll get(well maybe Ahsoka but I liked the Clones wars sooooo) I have the Tarkin book which I like alot,and am now reading Twilight Company and New Dawn if that is it's name?(got Tarkin and it in one volume)
    Anywho.
    But I am not really looking at the Aftermath stuff and Leia book.But I am looking at the old EU like The New Jedi Order stuff (I think I'll like Jacen and Jaina but not sure) and after that maybe the Fate Of The Jedi.So right now I'm just hoping for more,just more.If some thing else comes out that I may like I may grab it but right now it's slime pickings.
    Anywho I'm off to lurk in some dark corner waiting for a thread to catch my eye *poof*

23. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    Yes, you got it all in one. The movie doesn't deserve a sincere conversation and I do not want to be constructive on the matter.

It's not worth getting into in-depth, because in my case a lot of things actually factor into it. Sooner or later I'd have to stray off into tangents that would seem completely unrelated to Star Wars. Like CT-867-5309 said, lines would have to be crossed. There's so much formal/abstract **** to foam over that it'd alienate even the most hardcore Star Wars fans. However, over the course of my ****posting, I've also noticed (and am pleased) to see there are people in this thread that speak the same language as I do. I'm glad I managed to get some of them out of the closet; That's good enough for me. My job here is done.

But to answer the question the way you phrased it: tl;dr version
    All of the above. I don't like anything about it.

24. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I enjoyed TFA. It was a competently made, if safe, film.

25. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I mostly like the new canon. The things i miss the most from Legends are the ancient history of the GFFA, as shown in DOTJ, TOTJ, KOTOR and Old Republic.

Really wish we get something like that again and finally see also the founding of the Old Republic.

AusStig and kalzeth like this.