main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Arndt couldn't reconcile Luke with the start of a new trilogy with new characters. It's a totally different situation this time.

2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I still don't see JJ allowing Luke to do anything major, especially since rey will likely be trained and experienced at this point. I think he will be afraid that Luke might steal a bit of thunder from Rey, and I really don't see JJ letting that happen. I could much more easily see them having Luke do something heroic when Rey was inexperienced and untrained. I don't even think that JJ even knows what to do with Luke, so I really believe that Luke will either be killed off early; incapacitated; or be given a cameo at the end again.

T-R- and nightangel like this.
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly.

That Arndt quote is one of the most misrepresented and understood comments from the whole development process.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep and with the strong possibility that Luke won't use his green lightsaber in TLJ, we were told to wait for IX. I'm 100% sure we won't get it there now. [face_plain] The new Jedi order goes for sure to Rey now as well. [face_plain]

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    There is no justification for any of that. It's a matter of record that the issues around Luke were how to introduce him without him taking over the whole film and lowering the stakes. That has been achieved. I would happily wager a thousand pounds for charity that there is absolutely no way Luke gets a end of film cameo in IX

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

You seriously need to stop running with anything that someone posts that speculates something bad about Luke. Whatever happens in the next two films now you will have spent four years being unhappy and anxious about a fictional character.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Genuine question nightangel, and anyone else who would be disappointed if we don't see bad-ass Luke: would you be satisfied if we got a Live-Action series, staring Sebastian Stan, set between ROTJ and TFA which did feature bad-ass Luke on heaps of swashbuckling adventures with Han and Leia?

8. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    It is the last moment, when you still hope to see some light, but you see darkness spreading in the end. :(

easy answer: nope

9. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I think its a definite concern about Luke's role in Ep9, but still a bit too early to be concerned. We have to see if he even lives past Ep8 - if not then he may just appear as a FG.

I do think however he will live - and hopefully have something important enough to do in Ep9. With the unfortunate death of CF - the grim reality is it may provide more opportunity to give Luke a slightly more larger role than previously imagined.

In the end it will come to how can Luke drop in and not overshadow anyone else - as we can all imagine that would be JJ and KK's most primal goal. I get it, he isnt the main protagonist anymore, but it would be nice if he and Rey can team up together. It also boils down to the Kylo Ren character - if they are going down a path to redeem him, which I am venturing a guess they will, then there is also less wiggle room for Luke to do anything in the main conflicts they have in Ep9. Maybe Luke dons the X-Wing outfit again and leads the space battle (if there is one)?. As much as I'd love to see LS igniting his green lightsaber again...I would also love to see him lead a squadron of Xwings in a massive space battle....but then what would Poe do?

It is too bad that CF passed...I would love her and Luke to be together in Ep9 helping the new Big 3. Such a bummer. Here is hoping that JJ will give Luke that opportunity as well - if Luke survives Ep8. But JJ isnt a big LS fan...sooooo...still a worry.

nightangel and ChildOfWinds like this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    He may not get a cameo, but I do think it's very likely that he will be killed off now. JJ does not seem to care much for Luke 's character. If he did, he wouldn't have destroyed Luke's legacy by killing off all of his Jedi; he would have found a way to use Luke in TFA , or st least he would have had a reason for why Luke would go off into exile for six years, instead of just getting rid of him in his film and making someone else who cares more about the character try to salvage Luke by trying to come up with a plausible explanation for that out of character decision.

11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

That's all manner of nonsense. You're actually listing in-universe things as well as writing decisions. Your mind clearly ain't for changing, but whatever.
    Someone who "didn't care for Luke" would have had him on one last adventure and had him be a bit of a bad ass to please the fans and then not known what to do with him. The whole sequel trilogy is set up for Luke to be absolutely pivotal. Luke's "cameo" wasn't a quick appearance in a cantina. The story builds up to that moment. At least be honest

11-4D, Demsa Aztor and Dra--- like this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It's all about perspective. Firstly Luke's greatest achievement was redeeming his father, helping to destroy the Sith and helping to defeat the Empire (heralding in 20-odd years of peace). Yes, Luke's first attempt at restoring the Jedi failed, but that obviously leads him to have a philosophical debate about whether the Jedi should commit self-sacrifice. If the Jedi do reemerge with Rey then Luke has succeeded, and perhaps the New Jedi will be stronger for it. We don't know how the story ends.

Plus we don't know about all Luke's adventures after ROTJ.

Is it because Mark Hamill wouldn't be playing him?

13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    not only, because we would also know Luke ended as a complete failure. It is just that the whole inbetween of ROTJ and TFA turns into something that doesn't interest me anymore if Luke ends this way.

14. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think nightangel and ChildOfWinds represent Mark's actual views about JJ and TFA. His feelings were made very clear at the last Celebration.

And if you think egos aren't at play in Hollywood, you're kidding yourself.

I expect JJ to be a professional though. And I'm intrigued about Hamill's reaction.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    JJ Abrams: I have made money...and critical adoration in my new franchise!

Luke: Your new franchise?

JJ Abrams: Don't make me destroy your character...

Luke: Mr. Abrams, my allegiance is to the franchise! To originality!

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    If he trains Rey as a Jedi, would he still be a failure in your eyes?

17. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    JJ will have to be a professional. He may be writing and directing this, but it's Kathleen's and - more importantly - Disneys baby now. If they want Luke in it more,doing stuff, using the green saber, etc., even if it's just for merchandising reasons, he'll have to do it, no matter what he wants. If not, as,we've discovered with Han Solo and now Ep. IX, they'll jettison him from the film and not even think twice. No matter what he thinks of Mark, or Luke, he'll do what he's told in regards to the character, even if he doesn't agree.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just can't see how else Mark could've been used in TFA.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    J.J. will probably have Luke turn into a superweapon called the Luke Star. That would be pretty cool come to think of it.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, that's nothing more than Yoda/Obi-Wan did to Luke. I expected much more from Luke. He didn't make a difference if this is what happens.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    JJ directed/co-wrote TFA, produced TLJ and is now directing/co-writing Episode IX. This Abrams Sequel Trilogy for better or worse.

-LordSkywalker- and Dra--- like this.
  22. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Wait.. Yoda and Obi-Wan failed in there training of Luke Skywalker? Is that really what you are saying? Obi-Wan watched over Luke from birth until Luke's Hero's Journey began thanks to Obi-Wan; Obi-Wan then led Luke to possibly the most skilled Jedi trainer in all the Jedi Order to train Luke which he did; which then allowed Luke to complete his journey as a Jedi, and redeem his father whom saved his son from certain death from the Emperor. Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't fail, and neither has Luke Skywalker

Luke02 likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You have been here long enough to know about our cardinal rule: discuss the post not the poster. This will be your one warning.

Dra--- and Artoo-Dion like this.
  24. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Yeah, but he still has bosses to answer to. I'm not saying he doesn't have a lot of freedom or creative say in these movies. Just saying, if Disney wants Luke doing more in IX than TFA, then he's going to have to give them more.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

That would been discussed long before he signed on the dotted line if it even was. By giving him the director chair again, it was the ultimate vote of confidence by Disney. They are not going to mircomanage him like they have with other directors. If they try, he will simply send them a copy of their spreadsheet from 2015 and the massive fourth quarter they had thanks to his little movie that holiday season.

Ben-Solo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.