main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams to direct and co-write Star Wars: Episode IX (see warning on page 34 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by soul8luos, Sep 12, 2017.

1. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
  2. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

also the oscar winning argo writer. Trying to find the positive of Terrio ;)

3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Note the earlier warning about old grudges. This is not the forum for a protracted discussion on how Kylo Ren should have won the lightsaber duel, for example.

That includes these sort of posts as well:

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Kylo's going to do alot of brooding in darkness.

Luke02 likes this.
  5. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    That's what's a bit alarming because now it seems like they're completely throwing out whatever script they had, and if the script was that bad, it's weird it took them this long to do something about it. Would've been nice if they had figured this out a few months ago and maybe they could've kept the May 2019 release date lol.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Like I posted a while back, I'm positive JJ was probably involved in the CT draft. That Josh Gad video of them all together in one room, am guessing there IX chatter going on then. It does seem a bit ironic they were all together at that point. So am pretty sure JJ knew what CT script was about.

7. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    JJ was very up front about the ST being about the next generation, that it is the old guard taking the baton and running with it. So I guess the heroes by the end will be the younger generation, and Luke's story will come to an end one way or another. After reading EU novels for nearly 30 years, I'm okay with that and am eager to celebrate and read about the next geneation's adventures that follow IX.

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Great news! Definitely give this the thumbs up.

[​IMG]

9. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Variety is reporting filming has been pushed to June.

10. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015
    Probably already mentioned but now we can confirm that JJ will become the second director in history to direct more than one Star Wars film. Congrats JJ!!

11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    June 2019 or June 2020?

12. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Tfa and Rotj are my least liked of the movies so this is a bummer.

13. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998

June 2018.

14. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Not sure why RotJ would factor into your opinion at all. It literally has nothing to do with this director or trilogy other than being an earlier time period in the galaxy.

Unfortunate about TFA, though. Hope you'll like TLJ better!

DaddlerTheDalek, Satipo and Strongbow like this.
  15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i feel remorseful at this point for all of my rehash complaints and i think that this recent discussion has motivated me to turn them off. it is an example of overriding what is positive with one negative.

16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

It's been since at least early summer that concerns began to arise (when Trevorrow's writing partner was canned). Probably there were concerns earlier than that. They wouldn't have fired that dude without a chance for him to course correct. LFL hired Thorne to try and help CT deliver an acceptable script. Apparently CT was either unwilling or unable to come to an agreement with Thorne and/or LFL on the final script, or the execution of the script. As reported, KK was reluctant to outright fire CT, given the Lord and Miller firing. But kudos to her for being willing to do what had to be done for the sake of the movie, rather than worrying about how it will look.

In short, it seems likely to me that KK and LFL has been aware of a developing problem for close on to a year.

17. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015
    The ultimate would've been JJ directing a Rian script. =P~

18. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe Kathleen likes JJ because he will probably deliver a very straight, crowd pleasing, action movie.

If Rian sends the story down strange paths, JJ will bring it back into a blockbuster where everyone cheers at the end.
    Good guys win. Bad guys die. People fall in love.
    John Williams music for everyone.

BB-8 My Homework likes this.
  19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Already been confirmed for December. In this case Variety don't know JACK.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's only let me down once. Star Trek Into Doofusness. Twice I guess, but he didn't direct Star Trek Beyawn.

21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think you're getting confused here, jax.

22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    They are talking about filming, not release.

23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Sounds more like it.

Strongbow likes this.
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Looking forward to what he does.. Hope it feels very different than TFA.

25. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    It feels like if the TLJ script was bad, Johnson would've been replaced by Abrams and he would've directed IX, too. Meaning we could've got the Abrams trilogy. Besides Kasdan not being back, he might be a uncredited consultant as like how Simon Kinberg was for TFA when Rebels S1 was in production at the same time. I wish they would've taken a risk by giving it to Filoni, who could add his own fresh take, considering he contributed somehow to TLJ and visiting the set multiple times (could be reason why Rebels S4 is airing 2 episodes per week this fall). Guess we're getting another time skip in Star Wars (6 months between TLJ and IX to match TESB and ROTJ), when will Star Wars films be out of the safe zone? Anybody predicting that by getting returning directors, we could be getting 20 Episodes in 5 years in the future like how the New Jedi Order book series was released?​