main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    One of the things that I will say about TFA, is that Kylo Ren is a fantastic villain. He isn't Darth Vader 'jackbooted thugs in the night' scary. He's the kid sitting next to you in class with a assault rifle and a grudge.

Dawud786, Nobody145, mnjedi and 6 others like this.
  2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    That's funny. We watched JJ unabashedly backhand the CGI of the PT during the making of TFA. Will Ep9 behind the scenes comments by JJ be an endless parade of mystery box and rehash bashing?

"This ain't no RotJ remake. Hehehe."
    "You don't answer a mystery box with another mystery box. I have something definitive planned. What is it? I bet you'd like to know." [face_laugh]

He's the "I hate my father" guy on the outside, but "love me daddy" on the inside dude.

He has a sister, but it isn't Rey. She's dancing at Toshe Station.

3. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I do think JJ wants to prove he can make a different type of SW movie. He had to start a new trilogy from scratch and was rushed while writing the script. The result was that he went extremely conservative and followed most of the beats in ANH. If he was given more time I think TFA still would have been somewhat derivative, but it would have been disguised more cleverly. A lot of scenes on Jakku were pretty good riffs on the beginning of ANH whereas the Starkiller scenes were just copying and pasting things Lucas did.

I don't expect Abrams to be original, but I think he can show us a much more thoughtful and thorough movie than TFA. He could have just walked away and been appreciated by the influential part of the fanbase that thinks he "saved" SW. That he's coming back and risking his legacy means he knows he has more work to do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gamiel and CooperTFN like this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I am freed from the burden of caring.

It's going to be so spectacularly awful, I'm going to love it.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If we learn that he is not supposed to be sympathetic at all, I'll agree with you. It's being asked to sympathize with him that I would have a problem with.

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Can't wait for ROTJ 2.0. Will there be Ewoks 2.0, or was that the Wookiees in ROTS? :p

7. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    It feels like if the TLJ script was bad, Johnson would've been replaced by Abrams and he would've directed IX, too. Meaning we could've got the Abrams trilogy. Besides Kasdan not being back, he might be a uncredited consultant as like how Simon Kinberg was for TFA when Rebels S1 was in production at the same time. I wish they would've taken a risk by giving it to Filoni, who could add his own fresh take, considering he contributed somehow to TLJ and visiting the set multiple times (could be reason why Rebels S4 is airing 2 episodes per week this fall). Guess we're getting another time skip in Star Wars (6 months between TLJ and IX to match TESB and ROTJ), when will Star Wars films be out of the safe zone?

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To somewhat slightly steer it towards Last Jedi, I believe Deadline said that Rian Johnson passed on Episode IX, so it'll be interesting to see if on the TLJ publicity tour anybody asks him if he was asked / why he passed. (dude did say on The Twitters he'd totally do another Star Wars movie)

Maybe Abrams and Johnson can trade Star Wars Saga Episodes for the next decade or so, that would be kinda dope.

Vthuil likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    TFA is already ROTJ 2.0, whilst simultaneously being ANH 2.0 and TPM 2.0 (though that last one's cheating since TPM is ANH 2.0, which makes TFA ANH 2.0 2.0).

But seriously, JJ was the safest choice after Johnson- I'm surprised I didn't think of him before. And it's not like his job will be hard- he just has to make a more satisfying trilogy conclusion than ROTS; working with a solid cast and coming off the heels of TLJ (supposing it's as good as people think it'll be), should be a piece of cake.

sidv88 and Vthuil like this.
  10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

11. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    Eventually we might be getting 20 episodes in 5 years like how the entire New Jedi Order book series was released if directors keep returning (what if the low-budget movies on the streaming service are some of them????).

12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

I'm doing the same.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I like how people are earnestly worried about the last film in the sequel trilogy being directed by JJ, as if leaping the high bars set by Richard Marquand and George Lucas is a task too few in Hollywood could manage.

Like, we've been spoiled by intelligent, well thought out conclusions to the trilogies and it's now at risk. Uh huh. Ewoks were a beloved choice and the Death Star II is absolutely more logical than Starkiller; and Anakin's fall to the dark side makes sense and is really well acted and convincing.

Yep. Good work team.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, the only thing that would make him likable would be if he, Han, etc were in on some elaborate act. Which... I highly doubt. As awesome as that would be.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Yah, I know, I'm just hoping we get more than a simple just that he turned it down. The why, oh why, did he turn it down?

I means, JJ turned down Episode VIII and, y'know, today happened. I'm just hoping for a Abrams / Johnson tag team duo for only 5 more movies or so. Just until 2030ish.

16. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Kylo: Rey, don't let him kill me!
    Rey: It's not the Jedi way!
    Luke: He's too dangerous to be left alive! Besides, I already said it's time for the Jedi to end.
    Rey: You know, after reading about Anakin Skywalker, you're right. Kylo is too dangerous to be left alive and I won't interfere. I won't make Anakin's mistake.

(Luke kills Kylo)

Luke: Compassion is for those who deserve it.
    Rey: I agree. We've avoided repeating the mistakes of our predecessors.

(Luke and Rey walk away from Kylo's body looking contented and satisfied.)

Finn (watches Luke and Rey): ... I have a bad feeling about this...

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think (and this is also relevant to earlier comments by Johnson about Kylo in TLJ) people are getting overly hung up on certain word choice about what I think is really a pretty basic archetypal thing. Nobody actually intends Kylo to be "sympathetic" or "relatable" in the sense of "oh, yeah, we all always wanted to run our dads through with a lightsaber too!"

18. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm thinking the TLJ logical step for Kylo could be he kills his stand in father figure, Snoke. Snoke's "glittering gold" starts to wear thin and he starts to see Snoke as a "disappointment". Even flirt with the idea that it is the dark side that is flawed, but ultimately coming to the conclusion the darkside is not flawed, just Snoke, like Han and Luke before him.

Essentially, throwing a tantrum and blaming his father(s).

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

So if they spent $20 on writers (including a $2 per diem) we could have something written by Troy Denning, James Luceno and Karen Traviss?

20. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Ok. You don't like America Star Wars. We get it. Dead horse.

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think in the end Snoke will kill Kylo, and Kylo will say something like "Dad was right, Snoke used me." Han's prediction needs to come full circle.

If we learn more about why Kylo turned to the dark side, and Rey is similarly tempted, she may feel an understanding for Kylo that she wouldn't have had before.

It could be a touching moment between enemies like Maul and Kenobi, Kenobi cradling Maul as he's dying. Kylo will ask Rey to tell his mom that he's sorry, and Rey will lie and say that she will (because she decides not to be cruel and tell Kylo his mom is dead).

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

That makes no sense, Jester. It's actually an eye-wateringly stupid comment. I'm literally praising TFA here and said the last good books were TTT. So I clearly don't dislike Star Wars. I just dislike fanboys, for ruining everything; the prequels, for ruining Star Wars, and the EU for being terrible.

It's just funny that the weak links of trilogy-enders are suddenly on pedestals high, so violently at risk of being sullied by the hand of one J J Abrams. Oh, woe betide those who expect that unbeaten run of solid gold continue!

Perspective, please. The film you got for being a grown up Star Wars fan was R1. The film you get to reignite your inner child's reaction is TFA, though you're the second tier of audience after young kids discovering what we felt in the 70s and pre-85 80's, today.

23. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    New ST series might be taking place within 6 month time skip between TLJ and IX and the actors from the movies will be voicing the show before, during, and after production of IX all the way until it premieres. This is the beginning of the milking of money for Disney

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The thing is , if the entire sequel trilogy takes place in the span of a year, can this really be considered a war on the scale comparable with the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War? Previous movies covered wars lasting years, with appropriate time skips between each film to allow the war to go the course, characters to get promoted, etc. Unless there is a purposeful goal to make the sequel trilogy a smaller war than its predecessors.

25. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm guessing due to Leia's experience in the Alliance allowed for her to create the Resistance in Bloodline, which leading to TFA, she knew acting early would make the fight as short as possible. You can relate it to Obi-Wan's three strikes final duel with Maul in Rebels S3. He knew that Maul would do what he did during TPM to Qui-Gon to him so he acted fast. The First Order tries to be good at what the Galactic Empire was good at and prevent its mistakes but it will be beaten by the Resistance in the same ways the Alliance crushed the Empire. “Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”