main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media's Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace review(Mr Plinkett)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by A_Kenobi1987, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A_Kenobi1987

A_Kenobi1987 Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2017
    removed - language

I was wondering if anybody here has seen this review series for "Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace'

To those who have seen it, what are your thoughts and opinions?

Even taking the comedic nature into account, I found it a little too nit picky.

I did only embed the first part so as not to clog up the post.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh boy have people seen it.

Snafu55 likes this.
  3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm sure RLM has been discussed countless times here, but I find them to be insincere and highly flawed.

Don't really have a problem with being critical of a movie (or other art). But critique for the sake of it with no attempt to also point out what was good seems like a waste of time. And, a bit self-centered.

4. A_Kenobi1987

A_Kenobi1987 Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2017
    Original Post by Jester J. Binks:

The bold part is my biggest issue with this so-called review. There was absolutely no attempt at being fair or unbiased, it is just 70 minutes of this one man's uncontrolled and nearly indecipherable rantings. This to me is even slightly more concerning than the character that he was portraying.

RayO1 and Huttese 101 like this.
  5. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I recall watching RLM when it first came out. At least, I started to watch it and then felt like it was coming from a very small and deranged person. Turned it off. A few years later, constant "watch RLM and you'll understand" beratings, I put it on and forced myself to finish all 3 PT movie critiques. The supposed funny scenes of a serial killers basement literally had me shut the door because I didn't want people to walk in my office asking "WTF are you watching?" and assume I was as demented as what I was watching. So yeah, the character he was portraying was not deranged funny to me. It was just deranged.

RayO1 and Dandelo like this.
  6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    These rather remind me of those overtly long and half pointless sonic 06 reviews by Clement 64.

RayO1 and heels1785 like this.
  7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    This changed my view of SW. There was a dark time where I liked the prequels but RLM was gateway to opening my mind from such peasent films.

TPM was too kiddish and a HUGE down step from the gory Sci Fi battles of ROTJ, mature and dark as SW should be. AOTC was worse. More Jar Jar. More kid stuff etc. And ROTS was the most baby SW film ever. Genocide is sooo 2nd grade antics.

Plus, the movies lacked Death Stars and practical deserts. Thank God, lord and savior JJ saved my movies. Genius in the making. Seriously a bad guy turning good? That's a new concept for SW. A giant super weapon that blows up more planets? That's new too.

Now I'm a true SW fan who ironically likes the PT.

8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I thought they were fine as reviews. Harsh at times, but touched on some good points. They also got me into the rest of RLM's content, which i've enjoyed fairly consistently since.

9. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Even Space Cop? I've tried watching that 3 or 4 times and I just can't get past the 5 to 10 minute mark before screaming UNCLE.

10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Haven't watched that. I'm just referencing the stuff on their youtube channel, I.E. Best of the Worst, Half in the Bag, The Nerd Crew, etc.

11. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Exactly. Not to mention that it's a seven-part series. Like seventy minutes all told, that's almost as long as the movie itself, and very nit-picky.

And like a lot of Internet content, it's too over-the-top and hyperbolic. Like the "it's like a script that could have been written by an eight year-old" meme, which is a dumb joke RLM's fans sort of seem to just accept. Really? An eight year-old would write a script where a legislative debate over the taxation of trade routes is a central plot point? I mean, all the Star Wars movies could be written by eight year-olds if you make them sound as banal as he does.

Prisic Duskleap and Dandelo like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I sampled about ten minutes of it back when it first came out. Didn't work as criticism or entertainment for me.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread is the most disappointing thing since my son.

Like this post if you want a pizza roll.

V-2 and Outsourced like this.
  14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'll send it to you in the Mail.

15. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I'd sooner listen to the death rattle of my only child.

16. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    What are the odds that Plinkett's rage comes from a case of severe TMI?
    NSFW (If you work at the Vatican)
    [​IMG]

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Why else would he have killed all those hookers?

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I love them as a comedy fan, and they were quite an innovative way of presenting a film review. A lot of hardcore SW fans tend to miss that the Plinkett character is a metaphor for them, and of those who do understand, many that lack the ability to laugh at themselves. I think that's why a lot of people round here hate the RLM reviews; they cannot get past the double offence of ripping on the object of their obsession, and of being characterised as out of touch weirdos.

Thought I'd get that in before the thread is locked. :)

Outsourced likes this.
  19. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I enjoy watching the RLM reviews (TPM is by far the best) but I don't really think the criticisms are solid--which tends to happen a lot in the online film review industry.

Most "film reviewers" these days are just entertainers who are focusing more on developing comedy bits than actually paying attention and watching a movie to give it an honest review--which is fine, but at a certain point, you're no longer a film reviewer.

RayO1 likes this.
  20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Comedy or not, that doesn't exempt it from criticism. I do get laughs from them but they are nothing worthy of real reviews truly, and the comedy bits show that he is self aware of his hypocrisy. Not everyone finds comedy about rape and dead hookers funny. If you are a fan of comedy, you should acknowledge that this doesn't hit the notes for everyone.

The innovation I would partly agree, though it's not any different from the "comedy sketch" reviews like nostalgia critic was back in the day.

Prisic Duskleap and Dandelo like this.
  21. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

well said :)

As for RLM threads I thought there were certain rules about them on these forums:

first rule about RLM: DO NOT TALK ABOUT RLM.

in other words, don't feed the trolls.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^correct

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.