main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Future of IDW and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Outsourced, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    So, as a bit of a preface, this thread is not directly about Star Wars: Adventures. It's gonna be brought up, definitely, but this is mostly about IDW as a whole and its possibilities going forward with the Star Wars license.

Now. A couple things we know about IDW. Currently, they have a solid relationship with Disney, hence how they got the license in the first place, and they have a pretty solid track record as the 4th or 54th largest comic publisher around.

What I didn't know until recently was that they've also worked with Electronic Arts on tie-ins for some of their franchises that are most definitely not child friendly, like Dead Space.

[​IMG]

That is a panel from Dead Space: Salvage.

My hopes are that IDW and EA manage to capitalize on this and release some more adult focused content around the Battlefront series, or going straight via Disney to release some things that are more off the beaten path. There's a lot of potential to be more experimental with IDW while Marvel goes with the mainstream series.

spicer and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I sure want "mature" Star Wars stories, especially in comics. Might want to edit out the curses in your image, though Outsourced

3. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Nice catch! Fixed it.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Not done yet!

5. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Well, i'm blind. But I think I got it now!

6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    IDW has become one of the best when it comes to licensed comics, I think if there was to be more Star Wars stories there it could become very reminiscent of the Dark Horse days in a good way.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    God i'd love Christopher Shy, who did the art for the Dead Space comic I have up top, to do a Star Wars comic. He's worked with IDW on several projects, and can you imagine how incredible a lightsaber duel or blaster fight would look like with that kind of art behind it? Hell, it would be a great opportunity to bring a Death Troopers like concept back.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  8. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Like how The Screaming Citadel should have been. A proper dark vampire story.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Nah man. A proper zombie plague story. Derelict ship, ragtag group of resistance fighters, nebulous big bad. The whole 9 yards. Hell, i'd freak out if they decided to have it from the First Order's point of view. Bunch of FO soldiers and their commander attack a resistance ship only to find that it's completely empty. Then, ZOMBIES.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    So, Death Troopers then?

Daneira likes this.
  11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Basically. But Death Troopers is a kind of story that works best in a visual medium, as opposed to a novel. Bear in mind, I enjoyed the book way more than I probably should have. But something like that needs to tap into our primal fears as an audience. And the best way that can happen, I think, is through a movie, show, or, in this case, comics. Specifically, a comic with a good art style like the one I showed above. Something that can really convey the ethereal and the horrific. That is what I want.

12. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I've always thought a great horror comic would be with the MC being a padawan hiding from Anakin and the 501st during Knightfall....

DelRiego, SilentGuy66 and spicer like this.
  13. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I am all for comics for a mature audience. But what I want the most is to see some of the great comic authors and artists from the Dark Horse era back. The return of JJM in the IDW comics is a step in the right direction. Now for the rest of the greats. I love that Marvel brings new talent to the comics, but not at the expense of the veterans. IDW might balance things, I hope.

14. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Oh geez, when I saw the thread title I was worried something had happened that could prevent future News-strip anthology collections. It's a relief to see that such is not the case. I don't really care what new stories IDW does, but I really look forward to getting copies of the remaining newspaper strip Volumes.

15. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I can't find it, but I could have sworn I read something about IDW having plans for Ahsoka or something like that. Anyone else remember reading something similar?

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh yeah I'd love that too, Death Troopers is great (especially on audio book Outsourced) and something new along the same lines would be too. I just meant that Screaming Citadel should have been of the same horror genre, and not what it actually became (a horribly rushed Scooby Doo comic).

Outsourced likes this.
  17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

Ahhh. Yeah, I get you on that.

bsmith7174 likes this.
  18. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Yes! That was it! Thanks :)

It'd be interesting to see IDW tackle Siege of Mandalore or some of the other unfinished Clone Wars episodes.

19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I don't think we're gonna see any original IDW comics besides the Adventures.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    IDW have been DHC's major competition on the licensing and, apart from Transformers, they are currently hoovering up and reviving just about every 80s toy line license going - most recently, MASK, with Visionaries to follow.

So, yes, going to be interesting to see what happens.

21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I can't imagine IDW just sitting on a license like Star Wars. Especially with their history of tie-ins.

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What of a crossover between Star Wars and Doctor Who? :D
    (Truth to be told, Star Wars is fictional in the Whoniverse, but there may be a way to reconcile that via the Land of Fiction.)

23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It would be hilarious if Doctor Who based his knowledge of Star Wars on the old EU and thus his knowledge is useless when he actually crosses over. He'll keep calling Kylo Jacen, which would make Kylo furious. :kylo:

When Dr. Who visited the Trek universe, no acknowledgement was made of Trek's fictional status in relation to Dr. Who (or the other way around, i.e. Dr. Who doesn't seem to be a tv show in the Star Trek world.)

I think Dr. Who would mistake R2 for a dalek.

24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    And I can't see Marvel letting them publish competing comics. Adventures is aimed at a difference audience than what Marvel does.

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    In Mark Morris's novel Forever Autumn, Tenth implies that some (if not all) of SW is real. Lucas received telepathic messages, apparently, and mistook them for his imagination. However, the Doctor notes that the movies are "way off the mark" by Episode IX. And in Cavan Scott's (of course!) Supremacy of the Cybermen, the Doctor claims the TARDIS did the Kessel Run.