main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Sith Empire - Lords of the New Sith Order - Continuing to put the Laughter into Manslaughter!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ If you want a female director helming a science fiction project, your going to have to wait until March.

DarthIshyZ and corinthia like this.
  2. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Ha. I'm kind of surprised by this news. I was sure it would be Rian Johnson. If only because production for TLJ went extremely smoothly and the film is set to be completed in a few days (per Rian Johnson himself during a Japanese press conference yesterday).

But, to JJ.

I'm happy with this news.

Abrams delivered a Star Wars film that, I feel, captured the charm of the franchise about as well as I could have hoped. Fun, likeable and well rounded (for the most part) characters that I instantly fell in love with, witty dialogue (I don't understand the whole "It's too self aware" complaint), and lovely visuals.

Yeah, I do think it would have been neat to see a woman direct the conclusion of the Sequel Trilogy, especially considering the main character is a woman too... But, hey, it could be far worse.

I've said something similar to this in the CCC, but some here don't visit that area, so...

Yeah.

Also, Episode IX's release date was changed to December 20, 2019.

No surprises there.

3. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Well, we're getting 1 SW movie a year so it gives us some breathing time before the next movie starts up.

4. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    You know, those RPF award nominations are looking pretty scarce right now. ;)

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  5. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Kaleesh-Cyborg Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 4, 2017
    I am pleased to announce that I have finished reading Labyrinth of Evil and thus was finally able to complete this task as delegated by my master, dragonsith13 . Now I will be immersing myself in the novelization of Revenge of the Sith and take another month of Sundays to finish that one too. ;)

Task #10 - The Dark Side of the Bookshelf

Throughout our fandom, we all gravitate toward a certain story or medium. What is one of your favorite Star Wars stories? This can be across the whole breadth of SW material. Comics, movies, games, books, etc. What is it and how did it captivate you?

It should come as no surprise that Labyrinth of Evil is my favorite Star Wars story because it gives a fairly detailed account of Grievous's history and his suffering through his transformation. It also places the character in a more intimidating light than he is depicted in the CGI Clone Wars series and the Revenge film. It is written to place Grievous's capabilities and competence as a Jedi hunter superior to that of Asaj Ventress, Maul, and Aura Sing, listing these three notable killers as inferior to what he can do. It also places him as a figure superior to the Viceroy and the rest of the Separatist leaders. I really liked seeing my favorite character placed at this level of excellence simply because he is a unique brainstorm in appearance alone; he deserves this type of glory attached to his name. One point I found very interesting was that Grievous was incapable of sleeping and had to spend time at rest in a stasis pod for the purpose of rejuvenation, where all he could do was think. From this part in the book, it touches on his personal mortification over what he had become and living with a body that could feel nothing. I always enjoy deeper looks into characters like this. It makes them more relatable as you can find yourself sympathizing with them to some degree. The book also makes it clear that Grievous was present during the battle of Geonosis; he was just not allowed to take part in it. Much to his annoyance, he was given permission to watch from a hidden place in the catacombs, but his existence had to be kept a secret until further notice.

I also enjoyed the glimpse into the master/apprentice relationship between Sidious and Dooku. I'm not used to seeing Dooku behave subserviently to anyone, but Labyrinth of Evil frequently placed him in such a role in his exchanges with Sidious. I also liked seeing the same from Grievous. While his ruthless brilliance is expounded upon throughout the novel, it is clear that he understands and respects a chain of command in his exchanges with Dooku and Sidious respectively. After watching many episodes of The Clone Wars and the exchanges between Dooku and Grievous, the latter always seemed belligerent and stubborn to his own detriment which placed him in a more comical light than anything. I liked seeing a more respectable nature in him, which brings his intelligence to the forefront.

Another brief look into Dooku at one point in the book reveals his disdain for the use of multiple lightsabers in combat. I never knew this before reading Labyrinth of Evil, but there is a brief account in which Grievous is sparring with his magnaguards as Dooku looks on and the author reveals the Count's thoughts on how much he despises the habit. It goes on to further reveal that he also detests Grievous's practice of collecting lightsabers from his defeated Jedi foes. I found this portion of the book amusing, just seeing how these two habits that Grievous has rub his master the wrong way, yet Dooku refrains from reprimanding him because his habits help to motivate his actions to eradicate the Jedi. The fact that Dooku frowns upon the habit of collecting trophies, I feel, reveals that he has not forgotten his days as a Jedi and perhaps feels that this is a sacrilegious practice, leaving him taking quiet offense to it.

Reverting back to Grievous's role in the unfurling Separatist chaos, his confrontation with Mace Windu atop the mag-lev train was another interesting scene, revealing Grievous's struggle with organic instincts conflicting with cybernetic, computer-controlled appendages. I liked the fact that it presented Grievous in a mortal light, showing that he is not without flaws and gave a glimpse into that internal struggle that was originally touched on with the personal disdain for his reconstructed body. It also delves a bit into his humiliation over a defeat that occurred because of his "enhancements", revealing his relief that his IG-100 MagnaGuards had not survived to bear witness to his literal downfall. Several chapters later, Grievous is in top form, slaughtering several Jedi and succeeding in abducting Palpatine, then taking huge risks in flight as he escapes, creating total chaos in Coruscant in his wake. I quite enjoyed the threats and snarky remarks exchanged between Grievous and the chancellor throughout his deadly flight to reinforcements.

Deviating away from the two characters that capture my attention the most, I have to touch on the fact that Labyrinth of Evil delves deep into the thoughts and motivations of Anakin Skywalker. It is clear early on in the novel that Anakin's strong power within the Force, though used entirely on the Light Side, is fueled by dark emotions. I like that this side of Anakin is revealed, being a good foreshadow to his internal transformation that follows in Revenge of the Sith. Though not explicitly revealing his personal thoughts, per se, the author did a fine job clarifying the fact that Anakin is driven by more than what drives his master or the other Jedi he shares company with.

Focusing back on Dooku a bit and the fact that this is a direct lead into Revenge of the Sith, in the second to last chapter, there is a brief conversation between him and Sidious. In this discussion, they are primarily focused on Anakin Skywalker and Dooku is instructed to kill Kenobi in order to provoke Anakin's fear and rage. Sidious promises Dooku that, should Anakin prevail in the duel they are staging, he will "control the outcome" to spare Dooku any unnecessary embarrassment. Reflecting on the Revenge film, Dooku did come close to killing Kenobi, then Anakin disarms him (literally) and is told by "Palpatine" to kill him. After reading Labyrinth, the look of complete disbelief on Dooku's face makes so much sense.

Labyrinth of Evil personal highlights aside, I must change gears a bit and talk about another favorite glimpse into the Star Wars universe. I really have a soft spot for the short-lived 2D Clone Wars series, again, because it gives a nicely executed role to Grievous. His debut as a Jedi-killing machine is thrilling and I wish the writers would have maintained this level of excellence in his character even when the series evolved to CGI animation. Probably my favorite scene in the 2D series is the brief account of Grievous sparring with Dooku. I love the interaction between the two characters with Dooku antagonizing and instructing his cyborg apprentice as they go along. Again, Dooku's disdain for trophy-collecting is lightly touched on, though it isn't as pronounced as what is revealed in Labyrinth of Evil. In this scene, it is also clearly exposed that Dooku had instructed Grievous to retreat if he found himself without fear, surprise, and intimidation on his side. So to those who perceive Grievous as a coward, you are tragically misled. He was trained to retreat under certain specific conditions and one can watch any episode he appears in and see that this level of consistency spans the entire series and encompasses his choice to abandon ship in Revenge of the Sith and his attempted retreat shortly before his demise on Utapau.

I could apologize for building a case for Grievous, but I will not. He is generally an unpopular character primarily used as a marketing tool for Revenge of the Sith, but there is so much more to this character than his poorer presentations. I think Labyrinth of Evil expounds on him very well and it is likely a book I will read more than once.

6. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    It's one of those days that I wish I could pull out a lightsaber and go to work on the brats in my ballet class...

QueenSabe7 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I'm back.
    :cool:

DarthIshyZ and Kaleesh-Cyborg like this.
  8. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Kaleesh-Cyborg Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 4, 2017
  9. Halle Dray

Jan 6, 2016
  10. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    Halle Dray - It's dangerous to go alone. Take this!

*hands you a lightsaber for Brat Slicing™*

Halle Dray and DarthIshyZ like this.
  11. Isley_27

Isley_27 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2016
    Kaleesh-Cyborg Labyrith of Evil was definitely a good book. One of my top favs next to the Bane Trilogy.

Kaleesh-Cyborg likes this.
  12. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    I just realized something...

When Star Wars: Episode IX releases, I will have already graduated high school.

How time flies!

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I was 27 when the reboot happened.

I had 1 child!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ And how old is said child now?

15. Halle Dray

Jan 6, 2016
    And I'll be stuck with school unti 2020...

Darth Kronos and corinthia like this.
  16. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    You'll usher in a new decade!

17. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Usher?!? When did that rapper get in here??

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

18. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Not that kind of usher!

19. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Oh, then PCCViking should respond. I think he's an usher.

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

PCCViking likes this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    That's correct.

21. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Only a couple more days for RPF Awards nominations.

22. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Yikes! I'll get more me in.

QueenSabe7 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  23. Halle Dray

Jan 6, 2016
    I hope he's not around here.. I heard his songs enough times when I was younger at the pool that I really don't need to hear them anymore lol

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  24. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    WTH was I drinking.

*got mine in now anyway. :p

25. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I like this post. I was hoping you were going to nominate yourself for a bunch of awards! That would've been awesome.

Also, it's rad that you quoted your own post! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.