main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams to direct and co-write Star Wars: Episode IX (see warning on page 34 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by soul8luos, Sep 12, 2017.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Good lord. At this rate the number of complaints about JJ Abrams returning are going to eclipse the previous complaints about Colin Trevorrow directing Ep. 9. And just to put this into context a lot of the complaints about Trevorrow were from people accusing him of being a misogynist. If it ultimately turns out that more people are bent out of shape about JJ "rehashing" TFA than Trevorrow being a so-called misogynist then we have completely failed as a community.

2. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Could not be happier with this move. TFA was a wonderful "reintroduction" to a franchise. People can whine and complain, but JJ/KK/Disney saved Star Wars, and dare I say 9 has a strong chance to be better than RotJ.

3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    If Rian Johnson didn't want to do it, then yeah the move to get J.J back was probably a good idea. JJ like Rian is already familiar with the story as far as we know. So better to be safe than sorry.

4. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Yes a hero can receive help but the difference is Luke had a connection with the characters that saved him. Rey and Fin doesn't have any connection with Luke so him appearing and saving them would make that moment all about him. Han, Leia, and Vader saving Luke was huge moments in the story of these characters. Previous decisions or indecisions added weight to those moments whereas Luke showing up would have been a cool Luke moment but it would minimize Rey and Finns stand against Kylo. Why would Luke save them but not Han? Why would Luke wait until that moment? Thematically it doesn't make sense because he doesn't know these characters. It would raise more questions instead of answering them.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Can you please stop it with the condescension?
    They did two very different things. Stop with this bait.
    Since we're stating opinions as facts: Star Wars was in need of no saving, as it was coming off 6 incredible films to start the franchise.

6. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    My point is that Abrams seems to be getting all the credit/criticism for TFA. He and Kasdan co-wrote it. Whether people like or dislike TFA, Abrams and Kasdan deserve joint praise/criticism.

7. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    So what do people seriously (no mention of ROTJ please) think that JJ will now bring to the script? Unless I am mistaken, Leia will be out since it was stated that Carrie won't' be in IX in any capacity. How do people think he'll take the story forward in a different way to Rian? Will he take the story forward in a different way to Rian?

(I'm done with the attacks btw);

8. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015

First we need to watch TLJ, don't we? Then we can speculate where the story can go

DaddlerTheDalek, jaqen and TK327 like this.
  9. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    George Lucas did say he wanted the PT to echo the OT. A echo is a reflection of the original sound right? There were moments in the PT and OT that could be called rehash or even copied. TPM Anakin blew up the droid ship like Luke did the Death Star for example. I could list a whole bunch of stuff that could be referred to as rehash. SEQUELS BY NATURE REHASH THE ORIGINAL. Show me a sequel besides Halloween 3 Season Of The Witch that doesn't borrow elements that worked from the original. Honestly the rehash issue has validity when you apply it to the whole saga. People single out TFA because they don't like it but then turn around and say Rogue One was original? IT WAS ABOUT THE DEATH STAR! VADER HAD THE BEST SCENE IN THE MOVIE! THE END BATTLE WAS ENDOR ON STEROIDS! TARKIN AND LEIA WERE IN IT... IN CG!!! THE GUYS FROM THE CANTINA SCENE WAS IN IT... WHY? So every sequel after ANH has borrowed or reused elements of the original. Just say you didn't like the story or the characters or whatever but don't excuse all the other rehashes throughout the saga.

Jim Ryalto likes this.
  10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    In the eyes of the general public? Yes, it did need saving.

You're confusing your opinion for reality. I loved ROTS, but it wasn't enough to save the overall preception that the PT was garbage. A very large amount of potential paying customers did not see the saga as "6 incredible films".

Disney-Lucasfilm is a business. They're not in this to defend the PT. They created a TFA that leaned visually on the OT, and for very good reason. And that safe route paid off enormously.

11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    JJ need only do one thing to silence nearly all of the TFA bashers: return to Coruscant.

Indeed, if he nods to the PT in any substantive way, most of the hate will turn to love in an instant.

intended or not, that's a bait. /removed

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I was hoping for a return to Vader's castle on Mustafar. You can't set up something that major in Rogue One without following up on it again, right?

13. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Maybe RJ will? If Rey and Luke go on a quest, that's a destination i would like to see them visit. If it makes sense.

Edit: Kylo could have taken it for his own. Meditating/reflecting there certainly would empower ones dark side i wager.

14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Sure, that too. My point was simply that if JJ retreads some PT ground, he will be lauded for it by most of his critics in the fandom who accuse him of PT-hate and aggressive OT worship.

I'm not calling for this outcome, mind you. I'm simply using it as an example of how a lot of TFA bashing is based on wounds from the last trilogy's reception.

15. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    A lot of fans thought JJ did blow up Coruscant in TFA actually. Then they found out later it was Hosnian Prime :p

With JJ back i want him to have a scene where Leia and Chewie finally gets that post Han Solo death hug. Need some nice blocking work this time.

Seriously, Star Wars fans are a bit crazy, the internet is a crazy place. And i believe JJ will make a good film.

16. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013

If I may quote Forbes:

"Nonetheless, the numbers speak for themselves. Lots and lots of folks saw The Phantom Menace in the summer of 1999. And, more importantly, despite its reputation as a franchise-killer, it was relatively well-liked by the general audiences (kids and otherwise) who just wanted a fun Star Wars movie. You can get a $105 million five-day debut from hype and anticipation. But you don’t get $431m total from a $64m Fri-Sun opening weekend without folks being at least somewhat satisfied, going back multiple times and/or recommending it to their friends."

17. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Or to explain the hidden importance of rathars to Rey, the Force and the galaxy as a whole.

18. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Primarily OT fans and Primarily PT fans =/= the same demo. I think it's telling that JJ borrowed a great deal from the OT for TFA. While I'm certain LFL is not ignoring the PT at all, my guess at this time is that the ST is being aimed more at the Primarily OT demo and their kids than the Primarily PT demo.

That being said, I fully expect TLJ and Ep 9 won't feel so OT-derivative and will be more their own thing.

19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Was it also stated the she won't be replaced by another actress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    My post was more in defense of the idea that Star Wars didn't need to be saved in the eyes of the general public.

I'd say a more appropriate phrase would be that Star Wars was rejuvenated after being theatrically dormant for 10 years.

21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think this is a very realistic hope (though fingers crossed it's by some distance).

"X-wings yawn... N1's YES!"

Bast castle would be a good place to revisit though for sure.

22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Don't.

I'm not a PT hater, and I'm not going down this tired road with you.

We're talking about the preception of the franchise, which largely affected the approach, and marketing, to JJ's TFA. And it's largely considered the return-to-form for Star Wars.

JJ provided exactly what Star Wars needed to polish it's crown off. And I expect nothing less than spectaular for his IX.

Satipo likes this.
  23. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I think "rejuvenated" may be a better word. But it's tough to tell from the vantage point of hardcore fandom.

What I'd give for a gander at LFL's marketing stats...

24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed, it doesn't take much either way. I recall they wanted him hung drawn & quartered for removing an Anakin flag from Maz's castle.
    I'd like to see Kylo living there, having redecorated everything with a Darth Vader motif.

DarkMark likes this.
  25. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    I don't recall getting into these discussions with you, but ooookay.

Which is what I was talking about as well. You said the general audience didn't care for the PT outside of ROTS, I provided an outside argument otherwise. Since we were talking about the general audience, who didn't seem to mind the PT based on the way they spoke with their wallets, I didn't think it necessary to talk about the hardcore fans that Disney was trying to win over with their marketing (see: return to practical effects).

The general audience was going to be there. They didn't need saving.

Like I said before, Star Wars was rejuvenated. Not "saved."