main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I like your reasoning, but what ultimately led to full-fledged war in the ST was not, as I understand it, Leia's Resistance, but the First Order's destruction of the Hosnian System.

True, the First Order used the Resistance as justification for their action, but I'm positive Leia didn't intend to start the Resistance to goad the First Order into blowing up planets and starting a war. She wouldn't toy with billions of lives that way. She started the Resistance to stop the First Order from building something like Starkiller, but they were way ahead of her...

2. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    At least the events of Bloodline let her knew something was brewing already, she probably knew since the Republic was never going to intervene and due to that, they were likely to be attacked or obliterated in the case of TFA, thus she needed something to strike back immediately in case it happen, "the Resistance". Before the Awakening and the Poe comics showed how close a war like the events of TFA and TLJ was bound to happen.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It'd be interesting if the ST sorta unfolded in real time ie. each movie takes place consecutively after the other. Just cuz a space war lasts a week doesn't mean it's not a big honkin space war!

Gamiel likes this.
  4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Veering into Ep. 8 speculation territory here, but I can totally see New Republic hardliners (say Rogue One's General Draven) trying to remove Leia from command of the Resistance and blaming her for the destruction of the Hosnian system because she didn't reveal Kylo was her son. Much like Bloodline showed how hiding Vader's relation hurt Leia, I can imagine hiding Kylo's identity would be far worse for her politically.

The hardliners will say that Leia didn't do "what needed to be done" regarding her son and suggest she was pulling punches in fighting the First Order, which led to the First Order drawing first blood (destroying Hosnian). They'd try to remove Leia from command as soon as possible. And if word got out that General Solo and Chewbacca could have killed Kylo on sight but didn't--whoa, it doesn't look good for Leia...

Jester J Binks likes this.
  5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Good thoughts.

Maybe they will view her as Palpatine 2.0. Secretly in charge of both the Resistance and secretly, the First Order war machines. Poe wasn't captured by the F.O. He led Kylo to Jakku and then pretended to get captured to share intel. Oh, and how convenient that a STORMTROOPER helped him escape.

Leia always was jealous of Mon Mothma.

darklordoftech and AusStig like this.
  6. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    Looks like you might be right due to Johnson implementing NR factions in Bloodline and him commenting on anticipating the Leia: Princess of Alderaan novel at the beginning of this month. Holdo's probably the New Republic hardliner who yanks Leia's powers in control of the Resistance and demotes Poe to captain, which is below his commander rank in TFA.

AusStig likes this.
  7. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Honestly, it might be worth it for JJ Abrams to literally just put a new opening crawl in front of the original RotJ (opening crawl included) just to see the frothing fan-rage.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Already imaged!

(stolen from MadBoomBoom post in spoiler boards)

[​IMG]

9. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    So Ep. 9 will end with Rey and Kylo turning to see the Force Ghost of
    Han Solo

Maz Kanata

and

Hayden Christensen

Loving it.

10. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Based on TFA, I'm not sure if Kyle Ren's identity is even a secret. The von Sydow character knows it. Okay, he's said to be a family friend, but still... the audience knows it very early, and neither is it a twist to Han and Leia. So structurally there is no mystery implied.

In addition, why would the Resistance find out based on Rey and Finn finding out? It could happen, but it's not too likely seeing how Finn is in a coma and Rey leaves before anything official happens onscreen.

And if anything, as much as the audience loves Leia, there's reasons why you'd take personal connections to the enemy out of your leadership. They could either end up as an emotional liability or as a full-blown traitor. As much as SW is a family story, it would be reasonable for the Resistance/Republic to ask, order or if necessary force Leia to not lead the fight against her son.

11. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    God, knowing JJ Abrams and his "Mystery Box", he'll probably never tell us who the girl in the white T-bird is.

DarkEagle likes this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I kind of wish they'd gone with the existing blobby crime boss on Jakku, and made it "Unkar the Plutt". :p

BigAl6ft6, AusStig, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I hope when they redo the Battle of Endor that there won't be too much lens flare.

Or maybe, if TLJ probably won't copy ESB too much (hopefully), IX will instead rip off ESB, like having Rey and Kylo kiss then Luke tells them they're actually related and that its a family tradition. :p

On the bright side, at least this means JJ won't be back for the next Star Trek film, so that should turn out pretty good if it follows in the trend of Beyond.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ender, The Force Awakens is a movie so abysmally bad, so utterly worthless a corporate offense against every element of taste and quality, that it makes Die Another Day look like OHMSS.

You are defending an abomination.

Sable_Hart, Abadacus, Trip and 8 others like this.
  15. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    That's not fair. Die Another Day had an invisible car.

Abadacus and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  16. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Oh, you silly hyperboleans.

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm really stoked for JJ to finish the trilogy. TFA was extremely well done and just a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I believe the visual dictionary says among the first order kylo's name is not allowed to be spoken, by order of Snoke. Don't know if this equals Republic not knowing though.

To be honest, Kylo openly acting as the son of Leia and heir to Vader would be a major propaganda boost to the First Order and a morale blow to the republic. Perhaps Snoke doesn't want to be upstaged.

Going by Bloodline, New Republic wasn't involved in the First Order fight until Hosnian Prime was destroyed. So they probably didn't care who Kylo Ren was then. Now that it was destroyed, Chewie at the very least would have to file a report and it would come out Kylo was Leia's son.

Also, I don't get the impression Poe Dameron, a high ranking pilot, knew Kylo's identity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Gamiel likes this.
  19. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    File a report to who? As far as we know Leia is the highest ranking member of the New Republic left.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    And Leia's response is simple. "I tried to warn you all to take the FO more seriously, but you wouldn't listen. If you had listened to me before, none of this might have happened. Heck I sent my assistant to try and talk the Senate into action, and she's dead now because of your inaction."

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    General Draven. ;)
    Draven: Poe, forget what you heard Leia say in there. There will be no extraction. You find Kylo, you kill him.

One thing I always wondered about was why did Han seriously think Kylo would just get up and go back to Han and Leia? Even if Ben had regrets, going back with Han would mean life imprisonment for his destruction of the Hosnian system. Even his parents can't hide him forever, and the New Republic would be calling for Ben's head. For Ben at the end of the movie, he would at best have to forever be on the run if he decided to accept Han's offer.

I don't think Kylo could come back after destroying the Hosnian system even if he wanted to, unless he was willing to face the rest of his life in New Republic prison, or spend the rest of his life on the run. And Snoke fully wanted Kylo to kill Han. If Kylo didn't, he would face Snoke. And it wouldn't be pretty. Remember, even the Grand Inquisitor in Rebels chose to die rather than face the Emperor and Vader for his failure.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Technically it was Hux who took the shot - on Snoke's orders.

Han might be remembering what Leia told him about Luke - and why he left them on Endor (to turn Vader) - and that it worked.

As improbable as Kylo turning back might be - Han has second-hand experience of something similar - so he's prepared to take the gamble. Never tell him the odds. :D

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    That's true. The speculation now is if Ben would have taken some kind of immunity deal to testify against the First Order, or not take his chances with the Republic legal system and flee to some unknown world immediately. And it's not just the Republic hunting him, but Snoke would too.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I quite like this idea, wonder if it'll happen.

25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Dark Horse comic book fans will probably remember how the Great Sith War, as it was written in the comic books themselves, probably just lasted about a week. :p

AusStig likes this.