main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Yeah, after Matthew, I would prefer a very very very long time before another storm of the tropical variety hit the NC/VA coasts again

2. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    We lost power about 2 Monday morning and got it back around 8 that night (Thank you JEA!). I'm so glad it's over. I'm so tired of being stressed about it. Hope everyone here made it through it okay, and hope that's the last one we have to deal with for the year.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hope everyone here is okay. Haven't heard from mom's friend and do not expect to hear from my former coworker; but I'll take that as no news is good news.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    JoinTheSchwarz - I'm glad you are safe, I missed your post from yesterday and was concerned. Really sorry to hear about your town.

Same to vypernight, Leoluca, and everyone in FL/PR that really took the blunt of this awful storm. Hopefully not the type of storm that we should get used to seeing. Hopefully.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    JoinTheSchwarz - sorry to hear your town was hit hard. I will hope for everyone being back on their feet soon. Glad you're okay along with everyone here who lives in FL.

JoinTheSchwarz and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    6 people dead in a nursing home as a result of no AC.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Many people are without power still. The only problem/inconvenience I'm experiencing is a lack of fresh produce in my neighborhood grocery stores. My hurricane snacks consisted of mostly fruits and vegetables (whereas most people appear to stock up on chips and dips :p ), so I've been searching grocery stores for bananas, apples, etc. Some stores have said products available, but not in large quantities, and the ones they do have are pretty bruised up.

Still, I'm very fortunate. I spent half my life in this neighborhood and it went through the 2004 Big Three hurricanes without incident as well (except for a shortage of gasoline). This time around, while minor roof damage throughout the neighborhood is perhaps more noticeable than it was back then, everywhere has gasoline, running water, and electricity.

Many of my friends and coworkers, however, are still without power or even water in different parts of the Orlando area. Duke Energy announced that they expect to have power back on for most people by next week.

Both of my kids' schools are still closed, as some of the county's campuses are also without power. My own college campus will also remain closed, and its online services are all completely down (so they're currently posting updates via Facebook).

Rew and heels1785 like this.
  9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Ezio Skywalker glad to hear you and yours are doing well.

Seems like my peer from the ex-job made it through fine.

Only seeing images of the Keys the past day or so and I remain hopeful that mom's friends and everyone there are okay (there were two fatalities apparently.) Key West, grateful they're starting to get power and necessities back (including two food distribution centers on Key West) so that is good news.

Ezio Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    We just got power back. Oh my God I could dance.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It better be the safety dance, or you're no friend of mine.

poor yorick, Sarge and heels1785 like this.
  12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I think it was up to 8 before I went outside to cut grass about an hour ago. Pisses me off but not unexpected. Where was the generators??!! Places like this usually have them I would think much like hosptials to power the life sustaining needs.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From what I heard there apparently was a generator, but that failed too (likely a gas generator)

14. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Something like three people in Orlando died from carbon monoxide inhalation by using generators incorrectly, iirc.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Grandmother who lives in Orlando called me a bit ago. She's doing fine, had to go through a lengthy power outage with some trees fallen in the backyard.

Master_Lok, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "There's the hurricane!"
    "The house has been hit!"
    "Power's back?!"
    "The power company did it!"

Sarge likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Glad to hear your grandmother's safe.

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Welp, here we go again: a tropical wave is likely to become TS Maria and rip through the Lesser Antilles and my neighborhood (possibly as a Cat 3 hurricane) during the week. And many of us are still recovering from Irma. Yay.

Please, somebody tell me that winter is coming soon.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, Jesus... just looked at Maria and, yikes... currently direct hit on San Juan at Cat-3. Let's hope that turns or dials-down a bit...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Darth_Invidious Lots of well wishes. Really hope that does not become a TS much less a hurricane (Maria).

Presently looks like we will not take a direct hit from Jose, just a bit of rain and wind. May you not get anything from that storm.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Thoughts go to the JC's Puerto Rican Prince.

Rylo Ken and Darth_Invidious like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    silver lining: the island of Barbuda was rendered uninhabitable by Irma and thus is already completely evacuated ahead of Maria.

yankee8255 likes this.
  23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    ...until the owners claim it back in a few months?

As of 5AM Maria is a Cat 1 storm tracking to hit us late Wednesday. The locally fashioned Jesus, Virgin Mary and early X-Mas memes have amused me throughout the past couple of days but...ugh...this is gonna suck.

Juliet316 and Diggy like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's expected to slam into you directly at Cat-3/4 speeds though and not lose speed...

[​IMG]

The US VI are also supposed to take it in the teeth again. The "M" indicates Cat-3+ (H is Cat-1/2) -- Cyclocane has it as a 4 passing directly over Puerto Rico, and San Juan-proper.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Thank you, David, for cheering me up just a tad more... :p

Rew likes this.