main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember VOY and ENT the best, since they are were the most recent. Though BBC America refreshed my memory of a fair amount of TNG and a bit of TOS last year, so I unfortunately don't remember much of DS9 at the moment.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I'm a little jealous. You get to see DS9 like a new show. Take the time; it's worth it.

TX-20, Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Shatner improvised the "Oh my." line. It was scripted as "It was fun." as his final words. On the really informative and oddly hilarious "Generations" commentary track Brannon Bragga and Ron Moore say the "Oh my" makes it seem like Kirk went to Hell at the very end.

What he said.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    He shouldn't have been alive after the fall. We should have just looked down on his lifeless broken body from above, and that's all. A bit of reality could have gone a long way.

To be real, though, I LOVED his "death" earlier in the movie on the Enterprise B. It brought tears to my eyes then, and it still did when I watched it about a month ago. That should have been his actual death, it was perfect.

BigAl6ft6, True Sith and Sarge like this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh yeah, I remembered the Borg with their scary cubes from what little I saw as a kid. Then, much later on, when I decided to load up "Best of Both Worlds" because obviously I had to watch it, I see the Enterprise crew walking around inside the cube with the Borg completely ignoring them...and then when actual combat occurred they just stood there and let themselves get shot at like zombies...yeah, I was kinda disappointed.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that was sorta the point- they're so far above us / so easily regenerated/repaired that they can let us wander around their ship because they have better things to do than worry about visitors who basically pose no threat whom they can probably assimilate whenever they want.

Also part of the tension- they could turn on you at any moment if you got close to something sensitive (which is probably your goal if you're infiltrating a cube).

However, they did seem to be less lenient the more often they encountered humanity (and Janeway in particular), it seems.

As for standing to be shot at- that's actually a strong tactic for them because the more hits sacrificial drones take, the faster the personal shielding for the rest of the drones can adapt to your weapons fire (even rotating frequencies).

They effectively force you to render your weapons useless which accelerates their ability to overcome your defenses and finish assimilating you.

But, yeah, they were always space zombies- though this became more obvious after First Contact introduced the nanite injection method for assimilation (i.e.: "don't let them touch you").

Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I missed the discussion earlier, but I have a soft spot for Generations mainly because of the map room scene. It's rare that any of these films acknowledge gravity and they pay service to it here - the villain is destroying stars to alter the gravitational course of the nexus wave. It's also a good looking scene and I wish I had this kind of room in my house.

PCCViking, Darth_Voider and Juliet316 like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Fan image scaling all the Eaglemoss Enterprises (plus Defiant, Voyager, a Saturn V & a shuttle)l; minus the NX Refit).

Besides how massive the J is (but it's the future, different mission profile and Drexler prefers to push sci-fi tech further than Trek is willing to go sometimes), what strikes me the most here is the JJprise- now, we've always known it was way bigger than it should be, but usually that criticism stems from a comparison to it being bigger than the D.

But I what I find interesting here is comparing it to the C. If we ignore the nacelles (since those generally get smaller over time across each design's generations), the ship itself is actually about the same size as the C.

Even though that doesn't eliminate the size criticism, it does make the (post-Kelvin) tech scale jump a little more plausible in that context ("it skips from OG to the C's size) than the initial one ("it skips from OG to the D/E's size"). Especially since they were still wearing late-era TOS uniforms aboard the C, which doesn't make it feel so distant.

9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I think tonight is the repeat of the Fathom Events presentation of the Director's Cut of "Star Trek II". As I posted in the "Last Movie You've Seen" thread, the special intro/interview with Shatner before the movie was fun. His memory is a bit hazy, but I liked his comments re: "Star Trek V" and "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it was a fun interview. Shatner balanced his interest and aloofness about it well and handled the interviewer' geeking out well, while the interviewer handled correcting Shatner well when he confused which movie a story was about.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, I know that was what they were going for. It still felt kinda disappointing though...especially after all those internet memes I saw about "you will be assimilated" and "resistance is futile". I think the Borg in that episode came off more as this force of nature rather than a malicious entity, and that made them less scary.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That came later after First Contact, where the Borg kind got retooled from being a kind of force of nature into invnicible techno-zombies.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    First Contact was a good movie, but it was also the beginning of the end for the Borg as an irresistible force. IMO, it was a mistake to give them a queen. She was a worthwhile target, a weak point in the Collective, which previously had none.

TX-20, Darth Caliban and CT-867-5309 like this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I didn't really have an issue with the Collective having a queen. They are sort of modelled on a bee hive or an ant colony, after all, and both bees and ants have a queen, so it sort of makes sense they would have a leader. Also, they cIearly cooked up the Queen as a foil for Data and then resurrected the idea a foil for Seven. I think the way that maybe could have been done differently and possibly made her more unpredictable would have been to say that every drone is given a set of subroutines that lets it turn into the Queen as a given situation requires, rather than the Collective a distinct and recognizable leader that could be targeted by the Collective's enemies.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If it is a Collective consciousness, doesn't something have to be driving that collective? Who is gonna tell that Borg to go fix that flapping panel or whatever? The way I sees it is The Queen is literally the entire collective consciousness housed in a single individual (that's why her head is so big!). What she flat out states in the movie anyway, "You imply a disparity where none exists. I am the Collective."

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    That was also the whole point of Locutus in BOBW as well, the entire Collective represented in a single individual.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, basically if you look at all the TNG Borg episodes, aside from "Q-Who" where the Borg are this unstoppable Force that Q is using to teach Picard a lesson, each TNG Borg apperance individualizes them in some way. BoBW Part 1 they're still in unstoppable horde mode but we get the Locutus twist (and, frankly, the best goddamn cliffhanger Star Trek is ever going to have), Part 2 is all Locutus. I, Borg it's Hugh. and the final TNG Borg ep is "Descent" where they're all individuals anyway.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's similar to the Killiks in the Dark Nest Trilogy. If Raynar Thul was the Locutus equivalent, then Lomi Plo was the Borg Queen equivalent, although more mysterious and harder to deal with.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No. Literally no.

No, it was not the point of Locutus. The point of Locutus was to better facilitate humanity's assimilation. He was used to communicate to humanity, he wasn't needed to run the collective. He was a face man.

20. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, communicate with humanity? Like, to convince them to join the Borg? Does that ever work for the Borg? How many species have they encountered that said "hell yeah, we're gonna let them add our technological and biological distinctiveness to theirs"?

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Do they every explain the origins of the Borg?

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Star Trek: Destiny does. Destiny also ends the Borg once and for all.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A video game also provides an alternate origin tying into V'ger.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A video game also provides an alternate origin tying into V'ger.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah I see. So nothing is ever explained in the shows?