main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo: A Star Wars Story Trailer #2

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 8, 2017.

1. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    It might but I seriously doubt it. From October until the end of December Disney would want the attention on Coco, Thor: Ragnarok and TLJ. I think this timeline is more likely:

TLJ Teaser 2 in July during D23 or SDCC
    Han Solo Teaser during late August
    Force Friday II on September 1st
    TLJ Trailer sometime mid to late October(during Monday Night Football when tickets go on sale)
    TLJ commercials on TV from mid or late November until the premiere.
    Han Solo Teaser 2 sometime in mid or late January
    Han Solo Trailer in late March(along with ticket pre-orders going on sale)

This would give each trailer enough time in the spotlight before each new Star Wars trailer comes out and leaves September 1st for Force Friday II. It also starts the advertising for the Han Solo spin-off early enough but not too late. If we don't get the first Han Solo teaser during August they might have it in late September after the hype from Force Friday II has died down some.

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    We should expect the first teaser quite soon. The TFA trailer timeline was:

Teaser 1: Nov 28 2014.
    Teaser 2: April 16 2015.
    Trailer 1: Oct 19 2015.

TLJ:
    Teaser 1: April 14 2017.
    Trailer 1: ??

So the pattern is a teaser released in April - 8 months prior to release. If we work backwards from that, given the May 25th 2018 release date that should mean a teaser for Han Solo this month! But, with TLJ trailer coming up (probably in October) will they want to release two major trailers within a few weeks? That's the tricky part when you have two movies set for release within 6 months of each other.

B99 likes this.
  3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, not sure how the marketing is going to work out... I wonder if they would wait till after the main run of TLJ to release it. Like around Jan or Feb.

4. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I believe that ManaByte was saying that the first trailer (teaser, perhaps?) would run with TLJ.

Mostly Handless and Avnar like this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Because the premier is next summer instead of the following Xmas they're looking at the trailer being released with TLJ, I thought that was pretty much known now?

6. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    If Han Solo remains in May, the first teaser will be with TLJ and then a longer trailer in March.

If they move it to December the first teaser will be in April right after TLJ hits Blu-Ray.

7. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    That's interesting. Is there a chance they might move it to December 2018 now? I thought that was ruled out because Disney does not want it to conflict with Marry Poppins?

Frankly, I don't like the May release date because it's only three weeks after Avengers and only one week before Deadpool 2 (and only a few weeks before Jurassic World 2 and Incredibles 2). I believe it will make a lot more if it is moved to December. If it's released in May, I think 400 million domestic is the goal. If it gets a December release date, I think it has a good shot at Rogue One money (500 million plus for domestic).

8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
  9. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    How incredible would that be, the audience would lose their collective minds, but unfortunately it will debut online because it all about the 'hits'.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh would you shut up already! :p

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Take comfort in the knowledge that I was your first disciple in support of the August Doctrine, and defended you at every turn. I am simply affirming my faith by continuing to believe that new Star Wars trailers will eventually be released this past August. You were once the most devoted August Guardian of them all. Will you not lead us once more?

12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Plus rumor has It Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom's Teaser Trailer Is slated for December 13th and Jurassic World FK's trailer Is also supposed to be with TLJ! that would be awesome!

13. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I think it will be with TLJ, then be online soon after. It's perfect marketing and it's 6 months away.

They don't want to take away from TLJ, so they will wait until TLJ is released, then start marketing Solo.

14. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    It will be with TLJ. There is no distraction, its the cherry on top of the marketing cake. No one is going to say, 'oh Solo, not going to see TLJ then'. It will remind everyone not only about Solo but that there is a Star Wars movie in 2 weeks or so.

Mostly Handless, Avnar and B3 like this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would actually be more inclined to compare the marketing for Solo to how they did it for Rogue One, rather than the ST.

That said, if I'm not mistaken we should be seeing a trailer sometime soon-although I doubt they'd want to do it before year's end, so as not to distract from their marketing for TLJ. That's why they said they weren't releasing a trailer a year out for TLJ, since they wanted Rogue One to have its spotlight before they start turning people's attention to TLJ.

They will kind of have to do it that way for Solo, seeing as how there's no Celebration here this year, and SDCC is well after Solo is released. They missed SDCC and D23 last year, so that now means magazine articles and trailers and such will be just about the only platform they'll have at their disposal for marketing, until release!

Then again it seems like the whole craze of releasing trailers a full year+ out before release seems to have died out really...

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

the only thing that makes me skeptical about a teaser trailer with TLJ Is wouldn't we be hearing Trailer description rumors by now being about a few weeks away from Star Wars TLJ?

17. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002

I doubt it. We didn't get much in the way of trailer descriptions before the Last Jedi trailers hit. Lucasfilm is much better at containing this stuff since TFA leaked constantly. I'm still holding out hope for a Solo trailer before TLJ but I am starting to think that it is probably a long shot at this point.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

May be a Teaser for The Super Bowl or sooner In January? Also didn't Ron Howard and Disney just wrap Solo meaning Wrap Filming? would they have Footage for a Teaser Trailer as soon as December 15th?

19. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    If they were doing post-production work while Howard was finishing filming (which it definitely seems like they were), they should be able to put together a teaser by then with no problem.

20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm shocked, because I was convinced we would by this point, but at this rate I don't think we'll see any marketing for this movie until after The Last Jed is released. Attached to the film is still a bit likely, but attaching trailers to movies to drum up interest isn't how this works anymore. The online release matters more, and it would run the risk of being lost in the fervor over TLJ.

21. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    ^^^If it's the online promotion that's the mot important, then maybe they'll release a trailer a few weeks after TLJ's release. A sort of, "if you liked tat, there's plenty more where it came from", gesture.

I guess everyone (myself included) thinks the trailer for Solo will play in front of VIII, because we reckon LFL won't want to miss the chance of a captive audience.

22. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I heard rumors online that there is a trailer and it was making the rounds so to speak around Lucasfilm, this was like 2-3 weeks ago, so if that was the case, we'll be getting something with TLJ. They're not going to confuse the general audience with Solo, until after TLJ is released. I say we'll get a teaser for Solo around the middle of December.

Siphonophore likes this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Jan 1st would be awesome! :)

24. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    The trailer went viral at Lucasfilm. It's still trending over there. Ron might be given a trilogy.

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If it won't be attached to TLJ, I could perhaps see the teaser trailer getting revealed on ABC during the Disney World Christmas Day Parade or on their New Years' Eve show. Easy way to boost the ratings.