main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    You already said we don't know how Luke's story ends. Then you turn around and say he's going to succeed with Rey's help.

Fine.

Even if Luke succeed with Rey's help. The Greatest Jedi, our Jedi hero, only needed a tween's help when every other friends he had of his own generation failed. Miserably.

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Without Luke, the Jedi die. This is pretty clear cut.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes I qualified my prediction with the fact that we don't know how the story ends. I'm suggesting that people are too caught up with where Luke is now to see where the story could lead.

Yes, Luke needs help from the next generation to complete his final task. That's how life works - one generation passes the torch to the next. Both benefit from this process. Have you never heard of someone gaining new knowledge or understanding of life through their children?

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Luke won't last forever. Are the Jedi really that finite? The EU begs to differ.

spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, now that we know that JJ Abrams will write and direct episode ix, I very much doubt that I will like the film or Luke's role in it, if he survives TLJ. I didn't like TFA, and I truly hated what was done with Luke and his backstory in it, so it's not very likely that I will like his new film either. Jj didn't know what to do with Luke so he wouldn't outshine Rey, so Luke wasn't in the film except for a cameo.I don't see how that will change. Especially now that Rey will likely be experienced and trained by episode ix, I don't see JJ allowing Luke to do much of anything, so as not to eclipse Rey. Unfortunately, I see Luke either dying early in ix or having another cameo at the end. JJ is not much of a "closer" either. :(

NeoStar9 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I can't say it's encouraging as there's no one else left to kill off.

That said I think TLJ might pleasantly surprise, the problem is the track record of Abrams due to him now being on ep 9.

Nobody145 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes. I just don't think he's the right guy to conclude the skywalker saga when he seems to have trouble bringing anything to a resolution, not to mention, a SATISFYING resolution. I hate mystery boxes, especially those that are really empty because there are really no answers in them. They are just there for the sake of being there, but come with no real revelations. Plus, he's lousy at world-building and doesn't seem to be the best story-teller. Did we really need another Death Star???!!! TFA was almost nonstop action with very few and short character moments. The film was so frenetic that I was actually feeling exhausted while watching at times.

And I truly don't trust him to do well by Luke. He pretty much "got rid of " Luke in his film, tossing him into exile, while having no plan about why he went or what he was doing there.

I'm really not pleased about this decision at all.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Beg to differ. Remember that JJ said the whole reason TFA interested him was the question, "Who is Luke Skywalker?" He explored the mythos of Luke without the actual character, but now he's going to explore Luke as a character. It's not like Luke will be a cameo in IX again; that would be ridiculous.

9. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, I thought it was pretty ridiculous that JJ supposedly accepted the job of director of TFA because of that question, then not only didn't answer it, but pretty much kept Luke out of his film. Or you could say that maybe he did answer the question through his backstory of Luke and through the miserable, broken Luke we saw at the end if TFA. Perhaps JJ's answer to that question "who is Luke?" is that Luke is a failure, a hermit, a guy who has given up and left the galaxy to fend for itself.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    To be fair, Child of Winds, JJ Abrams also said Luke was originally in 1/2 of the movie. The original script had Han, Rey, and Finn head to the planet with Luke next instead of Maz.

(Poe was dead in this version)

They then realized no one cared about anyone but Han and Luke after that point, reducing the heroes (Rey and Finn) to sidekicks in their own movie.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I have only heard their excuse that every time they tried to use Luke, he eclipsed the other characters. Sorry, but I don 't buy that. A good writer should be able to write good roles for multiple characters, without one eclipsing another. I see that excuse as a copout for not using Luke in TFA.

And what's going to change things now? If he couldn't come up with a role for Luke without taking the shine off of Rey in TFA, how is he magically going to be able to do it in episode ix?

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Luke and Rey have more balance now. I tend to think the important thing to remember is this is Rey, Finn, and Poe's movies.

Luke and the OT are guest stars.

No matter how much we love them, it's not their show.

13. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    True! But then they also didn't need to diminish and degrade Luke by taking away his Jedi legacy, his personality, and his basic character. They shouldn't have included him in this sequel trilogy at all if all they were going to do was deconstruct his character and turn him into a failed, miserable hermit. They should have placed their story a hundred years into the future where they wouldn't have impacted Luke and his legacy at all. Instead, they have pretty much destroyed the character and turned him into someone I don't recognize and don't like.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    As a Spiderman and Daredevil fan, COW, I remember heroes always go through periods of misery before they return to do their heroic thing.

:)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Having Luke come in to save Rey at the end, while dying in the process does not make ruining the character and taking away his legacy worthwhile at all.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'll watch the movie before I judge.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wasn't his actual, on-film answer to that question, more or less: "Rian, you answer it - I'm just asking the question" [face_devil]

18. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Yep! He certainly didn't answer it, and didn't seem to care what they did with Luke.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Let's cover something else - like that there's a new Luke and Leia story:

http://www.starwars.com/news/luke-and-leia-star-in-star-wars-the-last-jedi-storms-of-crait-1

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Forget the story–Luke's outfit there is just too cool.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Mike Mayhew on art? Sold.

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, not optimistic after hearing the director change for IX. I hope that at least JJ will have some sharp advisors. I think a while ago we heard that JJ wasn't planning to have Artoo show up at the end when Rey went looking for Luke, something like that? Which I think shows a lack of understanding of Star Wars, since its obviously more appropriate for Artoo to go see Luke rather than BB-8. Then again BB-8 is the new mascot, Artoo is yesterday's news.

Come on TLJ, I'm hoping for at least one good sequel. At least Luke should have enough screen time in that movie, hopefully.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    While I love throwing shade on JJ Abrams, I don't think it's appropriate to shame him for stuff he chose not to do.

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I thought that was changed due to Rian Johnson asking him to change it? Which is why I'm worried about JJ directing IX, and disappointed Rian isn't directing IX instead. I think they said they offered it to Rian first, so hopefully that's a good sign for TLJ at least.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  25. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    If Luke had been introduced early in TFA, it would have taken the focus away from the new characters who HAVE to carry on the legacy. I'm fine with Luke being out of focus for the first film.

As for Luke's Legacy, another hero in a series I love, Solid Snake, spends most of the series a pawn of someone else's schemes. He saves the world, but usually misses the, "man behind the man" of whatever world enslaving plot is currently on going. It's only at the very, very end of his life, his final mission as he's dying, that he's able to actually change the world, instead of helping it just to get by.