main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think they should do the classy thing and have her die a hero's death in TLJ. No CGI or recasted resurrections so soon.

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think they should do that too...using Leia's death this soon could add another part to Kylo's turn back to the good side. Whatever the case this outcome makes the most sense since most people don't want an absent character, a recast or a cgi solution to the problem, anyway.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    A character & an actor are separate entities. I see no reason why Leia has to die if that was not the plan. We saw her born in RotS & then watched her story through eps 4-7, & it's still continuing. Leia is only middle aged & healthy. She could have a vital role to play for the future. She has key relationships with Luke, Kylo & a blossoming one with Rey. Imagine all of the amazing story possibilities for the future. She's also the general & the leader of the Resistance forces. Who else will fill that role? Once you kill Leia she's never coming back in any future story. Bad idea IMO...unless they can come up with a truly fitting end for her that doesn't seem sudden & is appropriate for a central character in this Saga.

If they do recast, I'd consider Kate Mulgrew.

4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Leila can appear in all kinds of prequels, despite a possible death in TLJ. After all, our next anthology is a Han Solo film, and he just died in TFA. I think a hero's death would be more satisfying than a recast, to be honest. And I'm generally pretty open to recasts.

5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yet you're fine with a recast for a younger Leia?

Question is, how can they portray a satisfying "hero's death" without any planning or scenes shot? That's the question. I really fear they'll cobble together a scene they shot, say of her boarding a ship, then have that ship destroyed. That would suck.

6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes, I think recasting a younger Leia simply makes more sense, just as a young CGI'd Carrie was appropriate for Rogue One. Young, early-twenties or teen Carrie is pretty far in the past now, and so I think having another actress play that role feels more natural and appropriate. Having a new actress play older Leia in the ST seems comparatively inappropriate because that Leia was so recently with us as older Carrie Fisher. It's not a position based on hard logic, mind you. There's certainly an emotional element to it.

Regarding your question, RJ hinted at the fact that Leia does something in TLJ that now has an added layer of resonance because of Carrie's untimely death. I took that to possibly suggest that she commits an act of self-sacrifice, but her fate was originally left up in the air. My guess is that with very minor changes, RJ will be able to nudge that into certainty. Instead of a "did she die or didn't she?" scenario, it may simply now be clear that she did. Whereas the original plan was to have her emerge again for IX.

jaqen and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Guess we'll see how it plays out. It would be very fortunate, if that's the right word, if they happened to have such a scene that gives Leia the right kind of send off. This is what it comes down to IMO. In contrast, say if God forbid something happened to CF following the release of ESB. Or Mark Hamill after TFA. In those cases you'd surely have to recast. So perhaps you're right & the reason they're comfortable letting the character depart is that do have an appropriate ending.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I somehow think it was switched and originally Luke died in VIII, while Leia's fate was uncertain for her to reappear in IX. Now Leia may die in VIII and Luke's fate stays uncertain for him hopefully to reappear in IX. [face_dunno]

9. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    All of this is true, of course, but it still seems a shame that JJ decided to cut two sequences involving Carrie / Leia from TFA. It seemed a shame to me at the time (mainly because why would you not want more Princess Leia? But also because it's a shame they dropped the Kor Sella stuff that might have added a bit more impact to the destruction of Hosnian Prime than "Wait - is this Coruscant? What? Who are these people?"), but even more so now when there's no more footage to be captured.

Ridley Solo, KSennia and Darth Smurf like this.
  10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Story demands first. Awkward adjustments from fans to actress changes second. Also, by the time Carrie passed, it was far too late to make story adjustments to TLJ, so if she is killed off, it will have to be explained and/or showed in IX

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    It's a totally moot point because there's no way they're recasting Leia for IX. Maybe an actor who they can manipulate in post to look like Carrie, but otherwise, no.

But I agree, in a fantasy world, Kate Mulgrew is an excellent choice. I also think Diane Wiest would be amazing (much older than Leia, but she looks younger than her age and not older than Carrie).

12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

They said when Carrie died that there will be no CGI Leia in IX.

Unless they change their mind in between now and the release of IX, which I believe they won't do, the only Leia in IX, if there even is one, will be Carrie's scenes cut from TLJ.

jaqen likes this.
  13. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Sometimes I wonder if some people still would have suggested a recast if something bad had happened to Ford (if Solo had survived TFA) or Hamill instead of Fisher...

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Nope.

It's the same way that Carrie got attacked for aging far more than Ford and Hamill.

I'm leaving the door open a crack here because a change in writer/director could potentially signal a change in that decision as well.

15. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

I think the decision was KK's.

Its also possible that Carrie's family didn't want them to do it, so they are respecting their decision.

I could see them do CGI Leia when enough time will pass, similar to Peter Cushing, but its too early now.

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Didn't Todd Fisher say they had given permission?

When I say CGI I don't mean a Tarkin performance. I mean something like a few brief, enhanced shots, or a Leia force ghost appearance.

Claire1976 and MattOrgana like this.
  17. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I thought he had meant unused footage - although yeah, perhaps manipulated with CGI. And I think, at the time, they were just laying out options to Todd and Billie and they signed off on it. But I can't imagine they went through all the footage already at the time of those talks and determined what would fit. Especially since the script was in scraps and now they seem to be starting somewhat from square one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MrDarth0, Claire1976 and MattOrgana like this.
  18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    We are at the point with technology that they could pull off a very convincing Force ghost from full CGI.

The thing most challening part I imagine would be getting somebody who could voice older Leia. Has anyone besides Carrie even done that?

MattOrgana likes this.
  19. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    They could try her daughter if they really wanted to go that route.

MattOrgana likes this.
  20. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Again, there's really not much to speculate for the future until the Last Jedi is seen.

My deduction skills (from my point of view) is Leia and Luke would both survive the second film. This isn't Survivor in who will be voted off the Trilogy this episode? And if Disney had their way, Han, Luke and Leia would look the same and be trotted out for a zillion films because it ensures money in the bank. Han only died because Ford was willing to do one movie. (At least that is what I suspect was understood when drafting the story.) And we have enough evidence to suspect Leia was to always be in the third new film as a pivotal part... I'll go out on a limb and say as a living person, again since it would seem redundant and not strategic for Disney's investment to knock the beloved icons down like pins in each film.

So to potentially alter the Last Jedi to have Leia die also presents a leap in logic that I don't think the creative collective would get behind. You would think they know people are going into the film and watching Leia with the memory of Fisher's passing, and the bittersweet joy of seeing her still live on on the screen. Any sort of death then potentially takes them out of the film and then becomes depressing... even if done in the most heroic way, I would think it's too much of a gamble. Headlines of glowing reviews of the film with blurbs of Fisher lives on is better than headlines with Leia (and Fisher) dies again, Merry Christmas! It's just my hunch.

My suspicion is still the film goes unaltered completely, and we're still speculating on how Nine can be done since Leia's character is still positioned to be integral. And Kennedy wants to keep it as hushed as possible because Carrie will be in Nine through a few pivotal surprise scenes through use of unused clips, slightly digitally altered (costume, hair, lighting, stand ins, etc)... and in the most feel good way.

fuhry, Paparazzo, jaqen and 1 other person like this.
  21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Just for the record, I've suggested recasting if necessary for story telling purposes. And I feel this way regardless of gender, so anyone suggesting it may be sexism in any way needs to tread carefully. That's not a subject with which to treat with kid gloves.

22. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    TK327, Ridley Solo, KSennia and 5 others like this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Oh don't worry, the conversation about sexism (and ageism) in regards to Carrie has been tumbling along in her threads long before you joined in. Nobody is directing that at you, but this is an absolutely valid point to raise. There's a long history here with Carrie (and Leia's) place in this ST being undermined, long before she passed.

And no kid gloves required.

DaddlerTheDalek and MattOrgana like this.
  24. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
  25. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Mark is pure class; and he is right Leia was my first hero as a little girl, still my hero as a young woman and everyone can learn something from Carrie, she sure was a intelligent woman. She has left a mark on me, her costars and world in general. Amazing woman, one of a kind!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.