main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Movie and TV Character MINI Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I did tag your sock ...

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    M'kay.

Arbitration-Based Reality ( @a star war) vs. Don't Let Your Memes be Dreams ( @DarkEagle)

Judge Judy (Judge Judy) vs. Jesse Custer (Preacher)

After a nice chat, Jesse shoots her dead, but walks away with a new perspective on life.

Winner: Jesse

Hancock (Hancock) vs. Deathstroke (Arrow) (Prepared)

Deathstroke may be very resourceful, but Hancock is an alcohol person, so...

Winner: Hancock

Agent K (Men in Black) (Prepared) vs. Jason Bourne (Bourne Series) (Prepared)

I'm actually going to throw Bourne a bone here. K's tech is far superior, but a bullet will kill him just as dead, and Bourne is simply a better strategic prep. And if it ever got close (which I don't think it will), Bourne is a much better combatant than any of the MiB (over the top Looney Tunes kicks from Rip Torn aside). Although, would K get the use of the car with prep? If he does, that could flip me.

Winner: Jason Bourne

Mr. Rogers' New Neighbors ( @Mikaboshi) vs. The Upright Combination ( @Jabba-wocky)

Matt Murdock (MCU) TRUMPED with Elektra (MCU) vs. Cigarette Smoking Man (X-Files) (Double Prepared)

Being double prepared, CSM is DOA to the match. Lung Cancer.

Winner: Murdock and Elektra

John Wick (John Wick) vs. Sonny (I, Robot)

Ugh, John Wick is so much more awesomer, but....

Winner: Sonny

The Undertaker (WWE Smackdown) vs. King Mongkut of Siam (The King and I)

The Undertaker tombstones Mongkut so hard that he actually goes through the earth and comes out onto Siam on the other side. Is Siam directly opposite The Price is Right studio on the earth? Probably not, but that's still what happens.

Winner: The Undertaker

Bartlet For America ( @dp4m) vs. Elijah Wood's Most Wanted ( @Darth Punk)

Rocket Raccoon (Guardians of the Galaxy 1 + 2) (Prepared) vs. Hellboy (Hellboy)

Very tough call. Hellboy can take a lot. A whole lot. And all he needs is one good shot or to get in close for even a second. But yeah, Rocket is just too... resourceful.

Winner: Rocket

Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) vs. Selene (Underworld)

Simply outclassed. Sorry, Buff.

Winner: Selene

Star-Lord (Guardians of the Galaxy 1 + 2) vs. Lagertha (Vikings) TRUMPED with Mr Wednesday (American Gods)

Meh. Yeah. Star-Lord.

Winner: Star-Lord

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I knew someone would answer the call.

I'll go Jesse and K. I agree K doesn't prep as well, but I think the massive gulf in toys available makes up for it.

The Venue:

The Set of the Price is Right, in front of the Plinko Board

[​IMG]

And now we go on to ...

8, 7, 6

Arbitration-Based Reality (a star war) (2) vs. Don't Let Your Memes be Dreams (DarkEagle) (1)

Captain America (Marvel Cinematic Universe) vs. Supergirl (Supergirl)
    Lucy (Lucy) vs. The Predator (Predator)
    Kung Fury (Kung Fury) vs. Dalek Sec (Doctor Who)

Mr. Rogers' New Neighbors (Mikaboshi) (2) vs. The Upright Combination (Jabba-wocky) (1)

Terminator (Terminator Series) vs. Ripley 8 (Alien)
    Pinhead (Hellraiser) vs. Oda Mae Brown (Ghost)
    Elektra (MCU) (Forfeit) vs. Wolverine (X-Men Movies)

Bartlet For America (dp4m) (2) vs. Elijah Wood's Most Wanted (Darth Punk) (1)

Michael Westen (Burn Notice) vs. Hannibal Smith (The A Team) (Prepared)
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation) vs. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
    Dobby (Harry Potter series) (Prepared) vs. Severus Snape (Harry Potter)

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    FYI Wang Chi

Antipodes Location Most likely the ocean. Watch out for sharks.
    Coordinates: -34.075613, 61.641629 (34° 4' 32.2" S, 61° 38' 29.9" E)
    Indian Ocean, but not Siam. Probably good enough for government work AND The Undertaker definitely does not care about geography.

Wang Chi likes this.
  7. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Nice
    popcorn.gif

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Anyone care to argue on these:

Kung Fury (Kung Fury) vs. Dalek Sec (Doctor Who)
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation) vs. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)

9. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Sure. If you just watch the opening sequence of Kung Fury vs the arcade machine, you will see that he is more than capable of dodging the kinds of attacks daleks use. Further, his strength is more than enough to damage a dalek. And he will have a terrible one-liner to go with it.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

"Exterminated!"

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Right. Probably something almost as bad as that.

dp4m likes this.
  12. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I think this is another one of those fights that Sec wins through inevitability. Sure Kung Fury can dodge pretty well, but all Sec needs to do is hit him once and he's toast. Given the type of firepower that Daleks can handle, I think Fury being able to punch through a Dalek rather unlikely and an attempt to do so would leave him an open target for an easy close-range shot from Sec.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Sorry, yes, it's been a bit of a week.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Apologies for the delay, except to heels.

So, right, let's cover the last one first: everyone has previously said "What's Dobby gonna do? He's not facing a wizard, there are no wands..." -- he's facing a wizard, and there are wands. He trucked Lucius Malfoy about to quick-cast Avada Kedavra and we've shown what he can do against an entire house of Death Eaters in a totally warded house. Should be fine.

The other two are amazing.

For Westen v. Smith (and this assumes it's TV Hannibal and not Movie Hannibal), Hannibal can do an absolute ton with prep, especially on a The Price is Right set and with the Plinko setting. The only benefit that Michael has is that... he's not just Army; he's CIA. Both were Army SpecOps, but that's where it ended for Hannibal after Korea and Vietnam -- Westen went on from being Green Beret and a Ranger to 15 years at the CIA.

So whereas Hannibal's team tended to never kill people, Michael doesn't have that problem. Also, while we can rely on training being better than 1970s / 1980s television filming allows (see: Woman, Wonder) -- there's also a vast difference in how the Army and CIA trains people to kill people between 1972 (when the A-Team escaped Army custody) and 1984 (when Michael joined the Army).

So the question is how much can Hannibal prepare by himself without the team (worst case for me: he shows up as Bob Barker) and what levels is he willing to sink to in order to win. Michael would just sleeper hold...

[​IMG]

For Picard v. Luke: Dawn of Star Trek Wars, this is all an esoteric exercise in "who would win between the Enterprise and a Star Destroyer?!?" Neither one is prepared, and neither one is anything but innately good -- so no one's going for a kill. Here's Luke's primary dilemma -- "peak Luke" is Death Star II Luke... which means "peak Luke" is armed ONLY with a lightsaber. And, you know, the Force.

A note on lightsabers: they're plasma, and have no stun setting. They deflect blasters, which is also plasma. They also appear to absorb other types of electrical energy and Force energy (remote shocks, Force Lightning, etc.) but cannot deflect those.

So the eternal question is... lightsabers vs. phasers. :-B Phasers are nadion particle beams which is why it's entirely unclear whether a lightsaber would be able to absorb (certainly not deflect) the beams. Similarly, from the movies it's unclear whether Luke is skillful enough with telekinesis to rip something out of someone's hand, like Darth Vader does.

[​IMG]

He only appears to do it when the object is not physically being held by someone, but does appear to get better in the six months between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi:

[​IMG]

<assume there's a picture of Luke snagging the blaster off the guard in Jabba's palace here>

The classic Starfleet away team position is "weapon out, plus equipment" when beaming into a potentially hazardous situation, so that would be a relevant question...

[​IMG]

Generically, these aren't two bad guys -- so Picard's going to attempt to stun, and Luke's got a limited amount of ability at this stage of his training (since there are no books counting). He's a living weapon designed to kill Sith at this point. Luke's not going to Force choke Picard, nor is he going to inflict mental pain like on the Gamorreans entering Jabba's palace. A Jedi Mind Trick won't necessarily be useful (or effective on Picard) and... then it's down to lightsaber.

And then there's Picard with a phaser. That can be set to "wide-beam stun" which can't as easily be deflected:

[​IMG]

tl, dr: If Luke goes for lightsaber victory, he's almost certainly going to win -- except that's very out of character. Picard (in this fight) has 50 years of Starfleet experience (assuming "peak Picard" around First Contact in 2373 and entering the academy in 2323) and 40 years in command (taking command of the USS Stargazer in 2333) versus Luke's 3.5 years. Luke has command of extraordinary powers that Picard doesn't have which grants him an advantage, but everyone here is still limited by their own moral character.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Forgot to ask ... Wang Chi, are you willing to stick around and judge the rest of the draft? If so, you and heels1785 can judge whenever you're ready.

Edit:
    Wait. Are you Larry? And stuck with Michael from years ago? There's a reason Dead Larry calls him "Boy Scout" and complains that his way is no fun. Outside of Tom Strickler ... Michael also tends to not kill.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Arbitration-Based Reality ( a star war) (2) vs. Don't Let Your Memes be Dreams ( DarkEagle) (1)

Captain America (Marvel Cinematic Universe) vs. Supergirl (Supergirl)
    Lucy (Lucy) vs. The Predator (Predator)
    Kung Fury (Kung Fury) vs. Dalek Sec (Doctor Who) - close, but i'll go with the kung fu guy over the blinking trash can

--

Mr. Rogers' New Neighbors ( Mikaboshi) (2) vs. The Upright Combination ( Jabba-wocky) (1)

Pinhead (Hellraiser) vs. Oda Mae Brown (Ghost)
    Elektra (MCU) (Forfeit) vs. Wolverine (X-Men Movies)

--

Bartlet For America ( dp4m) (2) vs. Elijah Wood's Most Wanted ( Darth Punk) (1)

Dobby (Harry Potter series) (Prepared) vs. Severus Snape (Harry Potter)

next caller.

--
    mobile atm - tag to inty and wang and prennifer

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    heels1785 -- just to be clear, it didn't matter what the matchups were, you were voting against me, correct?

18. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Yeah, I can finish up judging. I'll get to this set either late tonight or tomorrow. Prolly tomorrow.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's true, much like Luke and Picard -- there's very little chance these guys actually are going to try and kill each other. But 1 > 0 in body counts on their respective series, but that's also why I posted the choke hold -- an oldie but a goodie! ;)

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would like to participate but haven't had reliable internet access for some 36 hours. Cannot guarantee I will for a further 20, but would make this first priority if people are willing to wait.

21. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Okay, so the short answer is that I agree with Heels.

I tried for a good bit to find more information on the strength of Sec's shields (to this day, I've only ever seen two episodes of Dr. Who), or really any good footage of them in combat, to no avail. Kung Fury's durability is suspect, but not much else about him is. I hate to judge a match where I'm super ignant about one of the combatants, but with the info I've got, I just can't see Sec tagging KF. Plus he has the undying love of Triceracop... so there's that.

Something disturbingly satisfying about picturing Pinhead flaying Whoopi Goldberg alive. My brain went to a very dark place when I looked at that matchup. *shudder* Let's not go there again, brain.

Nope, the "they're both good, so they won't fight, which will conveniently benefit my character who'll have time to consider his stunning options" argument doesn't fly with me. It was worth a try, though.

The Dobby/Snape match basically comes down to the fact that I don't think Dobby would be a very effective prep. He just doesn't have a mind/personality that lends itself to an efficient use of prep time. House elves do have some pretty serious juice, and I do think it's an interesting fight, but Severus is simply too good. Offensively, defensively and in just good ol' combat experience, Snape knocks Dobby's socks off.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... Dobby literally wrecked a bunch of Death Eaters with prep in freeing the kids on screen. :p

23. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Oh, he did no such thing. He tagged a completely unsuspecting Wormtail from behind, then tried to drop a chandelier onto Bellatrix (who got out of the way), then disarmed Narcissa. Not terrible, but "wrecked"? May want to reconsider the use of the word literally there. ;)

Snape is way better than Wormtail or Narcissa.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, but he also wrecked Malfoy without prep. :p And a prepped Dobby against a lone Snape is more than sufficient to disarm him and stun. Please. This is why I need Prenn back...

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay so, if it's not too late:

1. Terminators aren't actually very strong. They can be destroyed with conventional weaponry, which Ripley is quite adept at using. Their strength is only minorly enhanced, and her genetic modifications probably make her able to compete. If not, her acidic blood could quickly compromise key circuitry and ensure a win here, even if she started off getting wounded.

2. This is very simple. Whoopi Goldberg can talk to ghosts. We know from Hellraiser mythology that LeMarchand was developing a puzzle box (the Elysium Box) that could destroy the Cenobites and was attmepting to do so when he was murdered. If he knew they had returned, he would contact Goldberg, and help her to complete this construct, allowing her to win. Since she can be possessed, she could even take over her body and do it for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.