main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Why are people so dumb? I'm glad to hear it wasn't because of Leia fans because I was going to go #notallLeiafans but that still sucks.

It's too bad, Claudia was a great voice on Twitter. I hope she comes back eventually.

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Maybe is because of the nazi slogan "Strength through Joy" in Leia book? I saw a lot of conversation about it recently, I know Claudia probably had no idea about that slogan but some fans are really uncomfortable about it (especially jewish fans). I hope they will edit, but they need to confirm they will do it (showing that they are listening to the fans and will not act like it's not important)

3. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

That was extremely unfortunate, but Claudia did apologize and say that her error was one of ignorance and that she had no idea that that phrase was a Nazi slogan. I agree that it should be edited out in future editions though.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, let's see, honest mistake made, genuine apology issued, corrective action to be taken on future editions - what more do people actually want, an actual goddamn Shame Nun sentencing? (Not I'm not on GoT but I can still riff on it because it can't be escaped.

Corellian Blue likes this.
  5. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I think they want a confirmation that this book will get an edit

6. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Star Wars Twitter just posted a clip from Breha's POV for their upcoming book "A Certain Point of View" (ANH told from various POVs) and it has Breha thinking about how she hopes Leia will home in time for the Equinox for "reasons that have nothing to do with the rebellion or politics". I'm wondering if it's her POV right before Alderaan blows up.....

:_|

7. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

unicorn likes this.
  8. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    I can't remember where, but I remember a passage from Leia wondering what time of day it was when Alderaan blew up, and hoping it was night and that her parents didn't feel anything? Then later she found out it was early evening, so they probably were awake and saw the Death Star coming....:(

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Marvel Star Wars 53: The Last Gift From Alderaan, we have Leia thinking of how it was night at the time, and musing on whether Bail was awake, asleep with "Mother", or alone.

EDIT: According to Wookieepedia, it was Children of the Jedi that had Leia reference having found out that it was early evening in Aldera City at the time.

Jedi Knight Fett and unicorn like this.
  10. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    If the short story is named "Eclipse", I guess it was daytime on Aldera. I think we'll see Bail and Breha's final moment. I can see them standing together on that balcony from ROTS, thinking about Leia and facing death with dignity, as the Death Star eclipses the sun.

Claire1976 likes this.
  11. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks Iron_lord, I knew I had read it somewhere but couldn't remember where.

:_| Kind of reminds me of Jyn and Cassian in Rogue One.

I guess Alderaan being destroyed ended up proving Kier's point eh? Much as I agree with Bail/Breha/Leia's POV, he had a point that Bail was endangering the lives of billions of Alderaanians by engaging in the Rebellion without the permission of the citizens of Alderaan to do so. I agree with Bail's principle of "for the greater good" for the galaxy beyond Alderaan, but I could also see Kier's POV on an isolationist standpoint to protect Alderaan itself.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've been doing a little estimating/calculating - and in order to fully eclipse their Sun (assuming it's roughly the same size as ours, and roughly the same distance from Alderaan as our sun is from Earth (which would fit with the 364 day year given in the EU), the Death Star would need to be much closer than 6 planetary radii (the distance from Alderaan it was, in Legends.

The Sun is around 8696 x the diameter of the Death Star.

To eclipse the Sun, the Death Star must be 1/8696 x as far away as the sun is.

The Sun is 150 million km away.

The Death Star would need to be around 17240 km from the surface of the planet, to eclipse the Sun.

6 planetary radii, for Alderaan, is 75000 km - more than 4x as far away as this. The DS1 would be less than 1/4 the apparent width the Sun is.

Another possible reason to believe the Death Star is not eclipsing the Sun- Alderaan is seen as gibbous, and not "full" from the Death Star:

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That hasn't been confirmed? Even so, that's the not kind of thing Gray can just do by herself so why do people think going around slagging her off online will somehow speed it up?

Jedi Jessy, unicorn and Daneira like this.
  14. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Exactly what I was thinking Matt, the eclipse is probably the Death Star moving infront of the Sun. This one is going to be hard to read I think, especially now we have so much more info about Alderaanian life (from the Leia book) and know Breha and Bail so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicorn and MattOrgana like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Death Star was eclipsing the Sun, wouldn't Alderaan be "full" rather than "gibbous" on the main viewer?

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dahh!! Science fact is getting close to Star Wars. Everybody run and hide!!

Daneira likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's fun though, to think about these sorts of geometric principles - what's needed for an eclipse, and so forth.

18. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Humm.

(Bloodline)

[​IMG]

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    From the point of view of people on the terminator of Alderaan, the Death Star would have been high overhead- and would have been not a complete visible sphere - maybe a crescent

(though, being very close to Alderaan, the Death Star will receive a lot of reflection from the planet itself, so its dark side may be visible too, if the light from the crescent doesn't drown it out. As a metal object, it would have reflected proportionally more light than our moon does - ours isn't much more reflective than asphalt.)

So, for a "Alderaan evening sky looking up at the Death Star" image - think small but bright crescent moon, about 1/4 the apparent diameter of ours, with the un-sunlit side being dimly visible as well.

20. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016

Stymi likes this.
  21. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
  22. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
  23. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    So I found out what happened and it's not what I was thinking. Claudia was speculating about Star Wars future movies and people thought she had inside info and refused to listen when she denied it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So people really are fools.

unicorn, Stymi and Corellian Blue like this.
  25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Once in a while I consider signing up for a twitter account, then I read a story like the one above and think nevermind.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.