main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he's on the jump a lot. did you read his finals breakdown, inty?

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I did. As usual, per his standards, it was fantastic. Until we got to his prediction, at least.

tom likes this.
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm going with the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest as the greatest thing ESPN does these days.

Luke02 and xblackout like this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    On another note, what do you guys think of ESPN apologizing for Jemele Hill calling Trump a White Supremacist?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    typical libral maydea

8. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Nothing screams college football and tailgating like Times Square.

I guess they can just have the Washington State flag on one of those ticker tape banners around the ABC Studio.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

She's 100% correct, but that's the problem with corporations -- if they think it'll hurt the bottom line, it'll apologize. I mean, i'm at the point where I have to say "at least they didn't fire her"...

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Yeah me too. And she wasn't saying anything that a lot of us haven't already been thinking for a very long while.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Fair is fair.

Don't you remember when NBC made that one guy from the Apprentice apologize for calling the President a Racist on Twitter?

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

No, but I was probably purposely ignoring everything by that Apprentice guy by then.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    ummm. Jules. I think you might have missed the point.

14. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    No she shouldn't be fired it. By all means it's in her right to express what she feels. Now should she be taken off SC6 because she's not good as an anchor on a terrible version of Sportscenter that has terrible ratings, there's an argument for that.

Master_Lok, Luke02 and PCCViking like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If the story is true (and we may never know the full story of what happened behind the scenes yesterday), good on Hill's collegues for standing up for her in the way that they did.

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    +1

ESPN is just an epic disaster and the last thing they needed was this especially given that it is coming out Linda Cohn was indeed suspended for simply stated that the network was focusing a bit too much on politics and needed to get back to their roots. The hyprocricy if true is beyond awful, it's pathetic. I do not think Hill should be fired or even reprimanded for her statements though I also don't know why she is getting so much praise for it since all it really did was throw more fuel on the fire (and as many have seen through my posts, I am not a Trump supporter at all LOL!). But Linda gets suspended for simply doing the same thing as Hill. Expressing her viewpoint which I think was honestly 100% correct but ESPN just did not want to hear it. And it has nothing to do with the crazy nutballs who are suddenly saying they are "boycotting" ESPN for being being emotional Kleenex. I am talking about people who simply want to hear about objective indepth sports analysis. ESPN is simply not doing that anymore and hence many have changed the station. I certainly have and it has nothing to do with their "politics". It has to do they simply spend too much screaming at each other going over sports in the most thin way possible instead of giving you truly insight and knowledge. I only watch ESPN now for live sports, 30 for 30 and College GameDay. EVERYTHING else I can get from other networks in a far superior way.

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well re: Cohn, I don't think was necessarily suspended because she thought the network should 'get back to it's roots', I think it may have also had to do with the fact that she implied that some of her collegues who where fired in that ESPN bloodbath a few months ago, were fired because of the conservative political views some of them may have had. There's a bit of a difference between simply saying the network your working for is getting too political, and saying your co - workers were fired because of their own politics.

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Pardon my butt in, don't watch ESPN or sports at all really, but I agree with the part of Luke02 post that calls them out on hypocrisy.

So freedom of speech only works now if you don't call the President out on what is quite possibly true? :rolleyes: Funny how Donald can sling pooh at will and when someone calls him on his pooh, they have to be fired or suspended? Sounds like a bit too much like a certain state heading back toward totalitarianism to me.

Good on Hill's peers for saying no way. She has the right to say what she feels. I am 1000% behind her and her cohosts.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Juliet316

IMO that is a even worst reason to suspend her then saying the network is too politically driven. Cohn was ultimately most upset with how they let go a lot of the hard grinding news reporters but kept the screaming baiters who suck up all the on air talent $$$. And again I 100% agree with her.

Master_Lok

Glenn Beck called Obama a racist and the administration just ignore it. The Trump administration missed a golden opportunity to be on the high ground (pun intended) in this situation.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    After seeing the tragic news of Bobby Heenan's death yesterday, seeing Mort on Sportscenter this morning was a balm to my soul.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nolan to ESPN.

Obviously best hire evar.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Which one? The football coach or the baseball legend?

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I really do not see the interest in her at all. She tries too hard to be funny and doesn't bring much to the table analyst wise.

ESPN will be a sinking ship with or without her though.

Juliet316

Katie Nolan:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/katie-nolan-join-espn-report-article-1.3540480

Again not a fan. Not that she is awful, just do not see what Katie brings to the table to help with their sagging ratings due to cable cutting/more competition.

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Christopher Nolan, obviously. Michael Caine to replace Lee Corso on College Gameday, with Christian Bale doing color commentary for football games. :p

Guidman , Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.