main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Hello there. :obiwan:

yahiko -
    I am not exactly sure what it is you are looking for. Define "lyricism" for me. I would agree that Steinbeck is a beautiful writer, as is Hemingway. (and The Grapes of Wrath is definitely a novel, not a poem.) I also recommend Cormac McCarthy, who is more modern, but his punctuation is unorthodox. If you want earlier, more classic works, I would go with something like Shakespeare, although his writing can be a bit archaic, or perhaps Jane Austen or one of the Bronte sisters. As for your caveat that the writer must be a native English speaker, Joseph Conrad is lovely, but he is not a native English speaker (Polish). Another lovely writer is Sandra Cisneros but again she is a native speaker of Spanish, not English. If you want, PM me and I can help you narrow down what you are looking for.

Joinerversers - here is the rule for capitalizing in English. I think the confusion is arising from the understanding of a proper noun. In English, a proper noun is a specific name for a specific person, place or thing. For example, I would capitalize each word in someone's name, (Charles Dickens), a place (Russia), and a specific thing (the sword Excalibur).
    When such words are used as adjectives, they retain the capitalization. Examples: The slums had a Dickensian quality to them. The Russian tailor spoke in Russian as he hemmed my pants.
    You would also capitalize titles if they refer to a specific person or place, and not a general person or place. For example: I had a meeting with Margaret, Queen of the Hinterlands. (capitals). versus I would love to be a queen someday. Another example: I asked Father if I could go. (capital, you are talking about a specific person. Nobody else could be Father in this case. He is known by this name), versus I asked my father if I could go. (general, everyone has a father and you are talking about the father who lives with you.)

Any help? Ask me if you aren't sure.

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Regarding capitalization, I'm always amused by trademarked names that deliberately violate English capitalization rules. Examples being iPhone, eBay, maXair, adidas, and so forth. There's also the case of people professionally or otherwise known by alternative capitalization forms, such as e. e. cummings and brian d foy.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    For iPhone (and probably eBay also), I'm quite sure Apple used what we called the camelCase convention in programming. So it is more a trend from IT (Apple and eBay are at the core IT companies) than a violation of the English language, I think.

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm well aware of camelCase, but that's a thing that only really makes sense in code (it's meant to provide for multi-word variable names where spaces are prohibited). It's amusing when it finds its way into English words.

AzureAngel2 and yahiko like this.
  5. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    I guess the tech geek subculture is probably trendy nowadays, at least for some businesses (IT or sport)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding Shakespeare, he do lose some of the worldplay with modern pronunciation

Chyntuck, AzureAngel2 and yahiko like this.
  7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Fascinating! It almost seems like a northern dialect... Yorkshire or someplace.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I had to read that in High School and I hated it. Our class hated it so much, the teacher pulled it from the curriculum for the next semester. But IIRC we read it after we read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe which had similar themes but drastically different styles written in very different times. We all loved Things Fall Apart, so I think following it with Heart of Darkness was a hard sell to high school seniors. I have to wonder if I'd like it more now that I'm older.

I'd add to the list of authors: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels. I don't know if they'd be considered lyrical or not but they are beautifully written and quite fun to read.

Oh no! :( I haven't seen anything about that. But right now if it's not about a hurricane, we're not likely to see much of anything. The 8.1 earthquake in Mexico was barely a blip on the news around here.

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and yahiko like this.
  10. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    divapilot: Thanks for your insights. An English Teacher, that's awesome! :)

mavjade: I cannot remember a book I appreciated during my scolarship, excepted maybe The Ice People from Barjavel, the only SF book I studied at school. I feel better to know that it is not related to French education only. Thank you also for your advice. I've got a lot of book to read now... ^_^'

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Unfortunately the wind did turn, and now some 30 km of the coast of Attica are covered in oil too. This picture is very close to where I live :( and it's nothing compared to Salamina. The only positive in all this is that the morons who want to go ahead with offshore drilling in the Aegean are going to shut up for good now.
    That's entirely understandable though – you have far bigger fish to fry. The entire area affected by the oil spill here must be the size of half a sub-neighbourhood of Miami.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    A friend who was journalist told me the "victims by kilometer rule". Interesting events are the ones which cause at least as many victims as the distance in kilometers from readers. Cynical.

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can people recommend any fantasy or science-fiction comics* with a black woman as the main character/as one of the main characters?

* not superhero comics

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks! This is brilliant Ewok Poet. Hope you are doing okay!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    If you're as excited as I am about the ANH 40th anniversary anthology of short stories From a Certain Point of View, you've probably already seen the little story cards that Del Rey released today. If you're not as excited as I am yet, you can find the cards here (don't click if you want to avoid spoilers, obviously!)

Gamiel, yahiko and AzureAngel2 like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]

Chyntuck and AzureAngel2 like this.
  21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    As much as I have griped about the death of the EU, this book doesn't necessarily qualify as Disney Canon. However, almost all of the original EU authors are gone and I don't recognize many of these rookies. [face_plain] That said, 'The Last Jedi - Canto Bight' has also caught my eye. I really don't want to like it, but I'm willing to give it a try.[face_shhh]

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005

Try the works of Hugo award winner Octavia Butler.

23. DarthKov

DarthKov Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2017
    Oh my.... Aphra in prose. ^:)^

Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Leguin. It's the sequel to A Wizard of Earthsea. I think the protagonist is dark skinned.

Of Noble Family by Mary Robinette Kowal. I hope the protagonist is dark skinned, looking at the cover.

oops, never mind. comics.

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  24. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Are seeing someone on Tumblr use this fabric to make a skirt, I thought it'd be good for curtains in my book & comic room.

Though getting it led to a somewhat scary moment, as we had gone to the state capital's mall (my mom and I also had to drop some paperwork off at my uncle's house) shopping. Apparently, very soon after we left the mall, someone robbed the jewelry store in it by throwing a substance in the worker's face and then taking off.

Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  25. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Actually if you specifically want comics or graphic novels, one of the secondary characters in Saga is a black woman. That's all I got for graphic works

Gamiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.