main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    True, it's more about knowing when to use CGI and when to use practical effects. Along with the fact that CGI is infinitely more advanced now than in 1999.

Guess I'm part of the minority that kind of liked Mutt. Shia is insane now though, so of course he's not returning.

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I liked Mutt as well. He doesn't need to appear in Indy 5 though. I love Sallah as well but he doesn't need to be in every movie. Although I would like to see him return for the next film.

3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I would really love that. He's a great character and would evoke the 'good old days'.

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I don't see any need for older characters to reappear. In a way it hamstrings the film for me. I look at Marion for instance in KOTCS and wish she wasn't in it, her scenes with Indy were awful with the comedy. A real waste. For 5 I'd much rather they have new sidekicks along for the adventure.

So true, and people miss the point about the effects in these films and mistakenly say its all CGI. Its not the amount of it or how many models or practical effects there are, its how the effects look as a whole and in that regard those prequel films don't look good to me and lost the appeal that the look of the orignals and the new ones have.

In terms of Indy some of the effects in KOTCS stand out more because they look so different to the look I would associate with the Indy movies. Thats not to say its a bad thing, but I felt some of it doesn't fit.

DarthCricketer, Sarge and 11-4D like this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's up to the filmmaker to decide when to use one or the other.

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    No kidding? I always assumed it was up to the guy who runs the liquor store down the street.

ANGRY_LEIA, DrDre and 11-4D like this.
  7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    And the filmmaker doesn't always make good calls.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    What if the plot of Indy V revolves around Marion/Mutt being kidnapped offscreen and the only way Indy can get them back is if he retrieves the films Mcguffin. Then the films ends with Indy stood on a cliff holding out the Mcgufin to his family as they turn around and regard him silently :p

Plus it'd fit in with Ford's film trend to run around saying "I want my family back!" ;)

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If by "good calls" you mean "what I want", sure. They don't.

10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    No, by "good calls" I mean "not having live action characters wear CGI clothes". You don't have to pretend George makes no mistakes ever, no one is perfect.

DrDre and Sarge like this.
  11. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    At this point I don't think Shia's omission should come as any real surprise, for reasons fairly well cataloged involving the actor's latter career behavior. Yet I likewise have no problem with his contribution to the last installment: Mutt makes for a fine try-hard greaser doofus sidekick with just enough plucky heroism tucked within. And if Shortround can go his separate ways then so too can Mutt, presumably on his own adventurous terms. The conceit of his and Indy's relationship -- rebel lifestyle camaraderie turned awkwardly familial -- served its purpose with relaxed liteness. Nothing's lost in moving on to a new partner.

Still, I'm hesitant of such being a, the, young female protege, as to avoid generic association with the current wide-eyed Rey and her tutelage under a seasoned Luke Skywalker or, for that matter, her chummy scenes opposite Ford's other iconic persona, Han Solo. Girl or boy, I hope they script a character arc with peculiarity more specific to this franchise. Chiefly, though, I'm curious as to the nature of the chosen treasure/folklore and the kind of B-cinema material Spielberg will be incorporating this time around to match the storied setting/era ...not to mention some remaining slim hope of there being a George Lucas in the midst.

And I suspect this will indeed be Spielberg's next production, even if back-to-back with his postponed Edgardo Mortara historical drama.

darkspine10 likes this.
  12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Other than Clonetroopers who have their helmets off, what other live-action characters are wearing CG clothes?

That's exactly how Iron Man is done, but I suppose that was just a bad call too, and Marvel shouldn't have done it.

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Robert Downey Jr's head superimposed on a CGI Iron Man still looks ridiculously bad (Did you see Civil War? Shockingly terrible CG for that). You're right, Marvel shouldn't have done that. But again, CGI is infinitely more advanced these days.

14. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Most people are unaware that Iron Man's suits are mostly CGI. Other than a couple of shots here and there it's a completely invisible effect. We never would have gotten there if Lucas wasn't pursuing the idea back when Revenge of the Sith was made. What was madness when Lucas attempted it then is completely commonplace now. Just one more brick laid on top of the digital foundation Lucas built with the prequels.

I really don't see no need for such an effect in the Indy series but who knows?

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So, what you want. Thanks for proving my point.

You're the one pretending people making decisions on their own works that don't pander your preferences are mistakes.

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Quote from Harrison in the latest issue of GQ:

https://www.gq.com/story/harrison-ford-gq-cover-story-2017

GunganSlayer, Sarge, Nibelung and 2 others like this.
  17. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    This is one reason I suspect Lucas deliberately made a mediocre effort for the prequel films released to the public. If you need a film franchise to bite the bullet and have CGI effects of questionable quality in order to lay the foundations for impeccable CGI five years down the line, why not make the films themselves of equally middling caliber?

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The CG effects were not of questionable quality, they were the highest calibre available at the time (and still hold up pretty well in most places, there haven't been any major leaps in CG tech since then really).

And the idea that Lucas would deliberately intend to write terrible movies is just a fantasy.

Gobi-1 and Sarge like this.
  19. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
  20. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    LAJ edit - merged the two Indy 5 threads and updated the title with the date

Gobi-1 likes this.
  22. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I would like for Lucasfilm to maybe create a story where the older Indiana Jones bookends the movie, with a younger actor taking up the mantle for the main story in the middle told as a flashback. Perhaps the Mcguffin could exist in both eras, with the plot intertwining the two time periods. Not as some kind of time travel, but say the Mcguffin was found, then lost, and then with clues left from the earlier time, found again in the later time frame to conclude the story etc that kind of thing.

GunganSlayer and Sarge like this.
  23. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    They've done that with the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and to a lesser degree the prologue from The Last Crusade, so there is precedent.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    With Episode IX being moved to December 2019, you think we'll still get John Williams to do both Episode IX and Indy 5? He seems to do a "one movie a year" pace score lately. HOWEVER, to completely undermine my own point, he is doing the score for both The Last Jedi and Spielberg's The Post which are releasing mere weeks away from each other. So it'll probably be fine and I answered my own question there. But maybe not!

25. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Since Episode IX and Indy 5 will be six months apart there's plenty of time for Williams to do both. He was able to do The Last Jedi and The Post because Rain Johnson completed production of the film months before it's release date. Spielberg will finish The Post with only days or a few weeks to spare before release. Spielberg has fast tracked films before so it shouldn't be a problem.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.