main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN: Time for a mobile-friendly overhaul.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Boba Frett, Aug 31, 2017.

?

IS TFN READY FOR A MOBILE-FRIENDLY OVERHAUL?

1. Yes, displays like crap on mobile!

86.7%
  2. Nope, I like the 2005 appearance. We have a magnifying glass for it.

13.3%
  1. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    Hi, there.

I've been coming here since the last millennium.

In that time, there's been a lot of change, as with this newfangled thing called a "smartphone."

All jokes aside, TFN is way overdue for a mobile-friendly overhaul, as in one with responsive web design.

The whole site is dreadful to use on mobile, but if you were to check the usage stats, you'd probably find a majority of your traffic is inbound from IOS and Android devices.

Please fix this.

Thanks!

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    An alternative to the moble UI is to use Tapatalk.

Adalia-Durron , Bravo and Ghost like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, just about everyone who likes to come here regularly on a phone uses Tapatalk.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah Tapatalk has its pluses and minuses, but overall it gets the job done. Ease of use more than outweighs some of its minor flaws.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Boba Frett

Oct 21, 1999
    Tapatalk is for forums, though. I'm talking holistically about TFN AND the the forums. Responsive web design addresses all screen types. While Tapatalk is great, you shouldn't need an app to have things display properly.

On Safari on IOS, TFN's home page (and all other sub-pages) don't size properly.

Look, I used to write white papers on Web Performance Optimization. It's a valid concern. I mean, the site is funded by ad revenue, right? Shouldn't they be displayed properly?

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Boba Frett

Oct 21, 1999
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That's a bigger question far above my pay grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You still visit the main website? I think I last visited it over a decade ago.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We mods have nothing to do with the main site - other people work on it. Your best bet is to use the Contact section on the main site and use the email address for general inquiries to ask your question.

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Tapatalk won't run on my phone. Outtaluck?

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Probably. Had it been running before? If you just got it and it won't work then it's probably incompatible with your phone's software, and as such you would have to get an upgraded phone, though I don't recommend doing so just to get an app to work.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Who has time for that? :p

Bazinga'd likes this.
  13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I've used Tapatalk for several years, it works well in theory, but the bugs are maddening especially the double post issue. I noticed westeros.org's boards have a mobile version that is quite good, I'd invite you to take a look at it and see if we could do that here.

14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Call me old fashioned, but I still use my laptop.

Force Smuggler and Dandelo like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The double-post issue and lag issue is the same on a laptop too, it's deeper than tapatalk.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Re: mobile versions of the boards (as opposed to TFN main), I think the long-awaited upgrade of the board software also includes a better native mobile version. But I could be wrong on that.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It wouldn't surprise me. This software is pretty old in computer terms.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I prefer an actual keyboard, so I almost never use my phone to post here.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    With respect, "use Tapatalk" isn't a response, it's a deflection that has the same effect as an excuse.

The OP is correct. Using a third party app to utilise the forums, when the dominant and sole purpose of the forums is user usage, is suboptimal. An elaborate shrug when asked why the engine is smoking. As the mechanic in this scenario, you can do better.

Scapro Tyler and yankee8255 like this.
  20. dustinroberts

dustinroberts TFN Content Manager star 1 VIP

Aug 23, 2001

Believe me I know. We're currently limited by the software and platform we use. You mentioned being an expert in optimization can you please email me directly? I maintain the main site and would love any help you can lend!

Jester J Binks likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Boba Frett - I've PM'd you Dustin's email address at TFN.

dustinroberts likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I tried Tapatalk, and it was crap. Never again.

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    So far, my Samsung Galaxy S4 loves the Boards.

Without Tapatalk.

Bravo likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The new Tapatalk update for iOS 11 sucks. I always switched over to Safari for modding anyway and I might be just staying with Safari permanently.

yankee8255 likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yikes. I haven't updated yet -- and perhaps I shouldn't. What's so bad about it?