main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Welcome New Users! Please start here! (Now with a quick guide to era tags)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 15, 2015.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, and if using the button, type two line breaks before and after, so the picture does not break text.

2. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    My fanfic is already written and posted at a fanfic site, can I post the link here? It's from the Star Wars: The Old Republic era. Do I just start a new post and post the link, along with a description and all of that? It's 47 chapters and somewhere around 150,000 words long. And most are long-ish chapters.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    No, we do not allow links to outside sites as per the fanfic FAQ. You are, however, allowed to start a new story thread in the story sub-forum and copy and paste the text and post it here.

4. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Hmmmm.... How many words per post does this forum support? My chapters average around 3500 words, with a few hitting over 5K, and one clocking in at over 8K.

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010

Per post is unlimited (I'm pretty sure - I know I've seen posts much higher than 8,000 anyways, so you will be good).

6. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks. I appreciate your quick responses and the info.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    PlanetSmasher - Some people do things like Chapter 1 part 1, chapter 1 part 2...given the length of your chapters, perhaps it could work?

Also, to put it bluntly: a post a day keeps a reviewer away. When something is that long, go slow. Real slow.

And I'm pretty sure I saw that story on AO3. There's a huge-a55 one about that era and it has to be the same one. :eek:

Findswoman likes this.
  8. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Oops! I just posted chapter one.... It has

________________________________________________________________________​
    divider lines to break up sections of the chapters..... title removed

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    PlanetSmasher You also should review the fanfic FAQ as we do have strict rules for pimping/promoting fics.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That said - there have been a lot of very sneaky tags recently. If I don't ask to be tagged - then don't tag me, as simple as that. I tag only people in footnotes if I used something that's theirs and the three close pals with whom I have a mutual agreement that it's OK if we spot something that reminds us of each other's stories - but I would not even tag those at the beginning of a chapter. New members are going by this example and using unsolicited tags a lot, tagging people who have read their fics, tagging people who have never read their fics (!) and the rules should be same for everybody.

Findswoman likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If someone is tagging or PMing you about a story update (or a new story) and you didn't ask for it, let us know and we'll take care of it. That's not something we can keep track of (some people do have arrangements for certain types of stories) but it is against the rules as is clearly stated in the FAQ.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    So, I've posted the third chapter of my story, but it's 47 chapters long. It's gonna be one long-assed thread. As recommended, I've only been posting one chapter per week. Since it's so long, 47 chapters is gonna take almost the whole year for me to post once per week... How about one every other week, and every other week post two. So, 1, 2, 1, 2, etc...

At the beginning of the first chapter I invited people to comment on my story... So far, no comments.

So, right now, my concern is this: Should I break up the story into different threads to keep each thread short, like maybe five chapters per thread? Or should I post all 47 chapters in the same thread?

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I know people to have - if they have already completed the story - to post twice every week. I would never do more than that, but twice a week would at least cut your time in half.

Also, don't be dishearted by the lack of comments. It's kinda a crazy time around here: we have the fanfic awards happening, it was just Celebration (which several people were at), and a couple users are students so we are in or just finishing finals.

Also, know that you are taking a bit of a risk posting a 47 chapter story as your first fic here. People tend to like to get to know a writer before making that kind of commitment to read and review a fic of that length.

Edit: also, DO NOT split up your story into different threads. If people have to go looking for parts of a continuous story, they won't bother, PLUS we mods would likely merge them anyways

Sith-I-5, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks, for your advice, Briannakin.

15. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    What would Rogue One be classified as? Saga-PT?

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes.

17. Redbanker

Redbanker Jedi Knight

Jun 6, 2013
    Hello is there anyway to search for a specific type of story. I've recently gotten hooked on Time Travel stories but the picking for completed good stories are slim on FF.net and AO3. Since there are soooo many stories here I was hoping there might be an easier way to find what I'm looking for rather than having to go through one story at a time.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey there! You can kinda search for stories here, but your results may vary since this website is technically a message board and not set up to be specifically for fan fiction.

One option is to go to the upper right search bar, click in it, then click "more". That will give you some advanced search options and you can try some key words and filter it so you just see results from the story sub-forum.

You can also check out these two links to older "time travel" indexes. Both are from when the site was hosted by a different forum company, so there may be issues with truncated posts or broken links. I've included links to the archived versions of those threads on the Wayback machine. It can be rather hit and miss (some dates were much more extensively archived than others).

Combining the Eras V 2.0 A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread (WBM link)
    Combining the Eras: A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread (WBM link)

Finally, you can ask for recommendations in the Looking For Fics thread to see if anyone knows of good time travel stories posted here.

19. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006

Dumb question. If I wanted to import characters from the Legends continuity into the new canon (much like Thrawn was imported), would it still be considered a "Beyond Legends" story or would it still count as a "Beyond the Saga" story in the Disney canon? The same question counts for the Saga and Before the Saga eras.

I'd like to think that doing this would still make the story count as a Disney canon-based story, because the Legends characters would have to be altered in some way, like Thrawn was, but I understand if it doesn't count.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is what I do, so I think it's OK. Let's see what other people say. :)

rebel_cheese likes this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It is ultimately up to you, but I agree that it would probably be seen as a Disney canon-based story since it is set in that 'universe'

22. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    That's basically what I thought, thank you. :D

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If it takes place in Disney continuity, even including own OCs or Legends' characters, I prefix as Saga-ST.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I wonder if the following three things can be taken control of, because I know I'm not the only one who complains and the story subforum has become busier recently.

1. The "chapter a day keeps the reviewer away" thing. Seriously, if one or two people can follow it, does not mean that the rest can.

2. Upping a great number of own threads at once. As in, more than three or something.

3. Responding to each separate comment, plus doing it immediately.

These three things are getting out of control. They are unfair to us who are not constantly upping our own stuff, unfair to people who have a slightly slower pace of reading but would otherwise gladly review the story as it comes. Probably much more.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Mav and I are busy people and we can't check every-single story thread. If there are instances of a user spamming or upping their threads unnecessarily, please PM us.

Ewok Poet likes this.