main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Sith-I-5 You are a genius! Thanks so much for giving me something that I needed, but didn't know I needed (if that makes sense). @};-

brodiew, yahiko and Gamiel like this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...Shucks.

[face_blush]

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How many here read/know of the comic anthology 2000AD?

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, I know of it, however I have several Judge Dredd paperback novels, and graphic novels crossing either Dredd or Lobo with other fandoms, rather than having read 2000AD to any meaningful extent.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I've only heard of it Gamiel but then I'm not a big reader of comics in the first place.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Gamiel, pronker and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No idea but that do sound like somehting from 2000AD

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    EDIT wrong thread

9. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    I find it really hard to write established characters, and I'm not sure why.

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Same here, especially in dialogue. I find it very difficult to maintain a character's specific tone. This is probably why I hardly ever write major established characters. Minor ones are much easier because I have so much more leeway to develop them.

Flyboy240 and Findswoman like this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Also, people have different expectations and interpretations of established characters. My view of Luke Skywalker may not be the same as Chyntuck's, or MiraJade's, or Findswoman's. But if you are the creator, you know your interpretation of your OWN character is the right one! :D

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    What Mistress_Renata said - and precisely why I hate arguments about it. There are situations where characters are totally OOC, but everything else is prone to interpretation. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm working on a short Marvel AU story that involves the X-Men. In this 'verse Callisto* is a member of the X-Men and I'm having problem describing how she looks. That part of the story is from a person who is familiar with the X-Men but have never seen Callisto. Any suggestions?

* http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Callisto

14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I need a PT-era Jedi Master who will take my OC as his/her padawan. The master should be a Mace Windu type that's fanatically devoted to the Jedi Order and I would prefer not to create an OC from scratch because too. much. work. for a secondary character. Is there a Canon/Legends Jedi other than Mace Windu that fits this description, or should I go with Teh Mace himself?

Gamiel Have you chosen one particular version of Callisto that you want to describe (movies/comics/cartoons)? Also, do you want a description that focuses on her appearance only, or should it include her powers?

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just to be certain, we are talking PT-era here, right?

Comic and appearance only.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yes, PT-era, I edited this into the post above.

For Callisto: I would say lanky and vigorous with a patch over her right eye (I guess you could call that a pirate eyepatch) as the basics. Then, depending on the exact version you choose, you could add something about her hair colour (black, blue-black or blue-grey depending on the version), plus something about her outfit (leather trousers and a sleeveless jacket over a singlet seems to be a recurring thing). Also, depending on the exact version again, you may want to add that she has scars and/or tattoos, particularly on her face; IIRC the tattoo that she has on her left eye in this drawing is often part of the character (although I might be confusing with the movie version).

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015

I suggest basic outlines for the characters you're trying to write. Figure out some key traits and quirks you want to include, even down to their accents or maxims. Also, I suggest basing your writing of various characters on people you know in real life (even just as acquaintances). That way, you can always consider, "What would so-and-so say/do in this situation?" People are people in any galaxy, and I figure you know a few people.

What character traits do you hate? Put them in the villain. What character traits do you admire in a person? Put those in the hero/ine. That way, when your characters encounter struggles in their lives, you can consider how a real person would deal with them.

Likely irrationally. That's how most people react to things. Unless you're Spock. But that's a different sci-fi.

Ewok Poet and leiamoody like this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Even to me, it does.

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    This is probably kind of random and out of nowhere, but methinks that in the GFFA, a toaster is still a toaster. I mean, why wouldn't it be? Because toaster is such a "does what it says on the tin" kind of name.

And since I totally threw that in out of left field, I might as well let y'all toss it around for a while.
    What other familiar items probably have the same name in the GFFA?

20. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    A shower is still a shower I suppose, it'd just be silly to call it a "water-based hygiene booth" or something.

21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sanisteam is actually the canon word (or was in the days of Legends) for shower, but I'm fine with the use of shower. I mean, shower is a verb (i.e. to shower someone with gifts) so why can't people shower in the gffa?

My personal take on use of "earthisms" in the GFFA is that they are fine. Don't draw the reader out of the environment [i.e. use turbo lift instead of elevator since that is a pretty common term used in SW literature and don't use things like proper names (Kleenex)] but don't confuse your readers either. Tea can still be tea - it doesn't have to be something like "leaf brew beverage". Noodles can still be noodles.

Flyboy240 likes this.
  22. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Curtains are still curtains.

23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Is it considered offlimits if you go back and change a minor detail in one of your posted stories in order to fit a change in your story fanon?

Mistress_Renata and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    George Lucas would say "Go ahead"! :)
    (and I would agree with him)

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Tolkien and Shakespeare fully agree with Lucas