main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, OOU we know it was a fun cameo that JJ inserted. I just like how they've justified in IU and increased Ackbar's prominence in the NEU.

--Adm. Nick

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Incidentally a sardonyx cameo of Ackbar would look really rad.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Write me up as one of those people who were thinking, "I want the next Star Wars trilogy to be more like the Prequels."

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm wondering if I should join the "Do you like the new canon" thread to say, yes, I really really loved it and really really liked The Force Awakens.

5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Knock yourself out, vod'ika.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, it's not as if that thread needs any more petrol being poured on fire but if you just want to watch it burn.....

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would like to have both. The politics and the worldbuilding of the prequels, with the sense of myth, adventure, and wonder of the originals.

I don't want to see SW forever tilting back and forth between pro-PT and pro-OT factions. They're both part of the story. The ST is a direct follow-up to the OT, but the PT happened and tells us a lot about the galaxy.

8. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    It's not pretty, but it's infinitely better than the last few threads regarding the two canons.

Darth_Duck and Outsourced like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] That's a really low bar but true, yes.

Darth_Duck and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Also, one of the biggest recurring aspects of the new material is the full effect on the galaxy of the Clone Wars, not only that they enabled the creation of the Empire but how they did so. In this respect they've spun story plots across the decades to attempt to fuse the PT and OT more fully together.

One way we see this is with Brendol Hux, he first shows up in Servants of the Empire but was likely active long before that and without the Clone Wars likely never would have started his programmes. He then shows up decades later in the Aftermath trilogy and
    Phasma.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, now that we know what the Clone Wars were it's vital to include them. Not just in little things like equipment and aliens, but it explains a lot.

Why was the Empire tolerated? Peace. Why was the Rebellion feared? War.

Why was Bail initially hesitant? He remembered the war.

Why did Mothma not reconstruct the Old Republic? Because she wanted to show ex-Seppies that the NR was different.

We need stuff like that.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce, Stymi, AusStig and 3 others like this.
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It's all in the benefit of hindsight. As great as stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy is, it was made in a time before the PT where we had no idea what came before, and it was a lot of reaching in the dark to try and connect things up. Now that we know all the recent Republic history, we can make a much more complete picture without having to go back and retcon things.

JediBatman likes this.
  13. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    It's really interesting, because in a way the New Canon cribs so heavily from the pre-prequel EU - REBELS is so obviously based on a WEG adventuring party, for one - while in other ways it rests heavily on TCW...

CaptainPeabody and Daneira like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. And now that hindsight is available we should take advantage of it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm very curious what sort of constitutional structures the New Republic had in place for succession of senators in the event of a catastrophe like Hosnian Prime. Or is there just a precedent/tradition of calling a galactic congress/convention, like Mon Mothma did post-Endor. I suppose it depends on if any governmental officials are still alive or not. I'm leaning towards the latter. I can see a situation where post-IX that the remaining leaders of the Resistance convene a convention, member worlds send representatives, and a provisional government is formed to be a caretaker government until new senators are elected and a new chancellor voted in.

Thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Mas Amedda becomes regent. Again.

:p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    @AdmiralNick22

Would probably be various ways. Either the NR has a way it is done and says the Planetary/System/Sector Governor appoints one or the Legislature elects one.

Or each planet/etc...has their own way to do it. One may have the Governor do it, one may have the Legislature appoint someone, another may have special election to get a replacement.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Have we gotten any new info on the State of the Post-ROTJ Galaxy over the last year?

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Bits here and there. We're still mostly in the dark about the First Order and how extensive it's holdings are and how exactly they are tied/not tied to the Centrists. Considering that The Last Jedi picks up immediately after The Force Awakens, I'm not surprised that TPTB avoided filling us in on more info regarding the state of the galaxy.

TLJ intrigues me a lot, as it will essentially be the opening (presumably) of a First Order invasion of Known Space. This isn't like TESB, where the war was three years further advanced. Also, Rian Johnson was a key player in providing political plot points for Bloodline, so I suspect we're about to get ALOT of info in the coming two months.

--Adm. Nick

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’d be surprisingly okay with this.

I also lament the day Ackbar gets blown up on-screen. If it ever happens, I will crowdfund to pay towards Nick’s therapy.

Might even change my profile picture to mark the occasion. That’s how you support people in the millennial era, right? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so spoiler for the upcoming Poe Dameron #20 issue.
    The opening crawl states the First Order and the New Republic are in a state of a cold war.

It was first mentioned in the force awakens: The Visual Dictionary reference book two years ago. so im guessing we saw some of the cold war in TFA.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Sinrebirth

Listen, one day Ackbar is gonna die. I know that, I already went through it in the old Expanded Universe. While my preference would be he pass of old age, I'm confident that if Ackbar dies in combat that it will have a meaningful impact.

mattman8907

You're correct, the Visual Guide first mentioned this. It kinda doesn't mesh with the idea that the New Republic didn't view the First Order as a threat, but my assumption is that the New Republic was only just waking up to the scope of the threat when Hosnian Prime was destroyed. Afterall, we know that Leia had supporters still in the Senate. Furthermore, all of those surplus T-70 X-wings, RZ-2 A-wings, B/SF-17 bombers, and the heavy cruiser Raddus all were willingly ceded to the Resistance. The First Order knows as much. It's interesting, if the Starkiller Base was found and destroyed pre-Hosnian Prime, the whole war would look different.

--Adm. Nick

Darth Caliban likes this.
  23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I've been doing a timeline of war with in the SW universe and so far it goes like

Around 6,000-1,032 BBY - War between the Jedi and Sith and the fall of the Old and rise of the Galactic Republic. (also the end of the Zygerrian empire until the clone wars)
    1032 BBY- 32 BBY- Basically an era without any galactic war
    32 BBY - Invasion of Naboo
    32 BBY-24 BBY- Probably the lead up to the Separatist Crisis
    24 BBY-22 BBY- Separatist Crisis
    22 BBY-19 BBY - Clone Wars
    19 BBY-0 BBY - Wookieepedia is calling this time the "Early rebellion against the Galactic Empire" (Made up name no canonical name...yet
    0 BBY-5 ABY - Galactic Civil War
    5 ABY-34 ABY - Cold war (things really don't get heated until around 28 ABY when the Resistance is formed and they start taking the Fight to the F.O.)
    34 ABY-??? - Open warfare between the F.O. and the Resistance

So if i done my math right, the galaxy here hasn't seen a moment of peace for nearly 70 years. I'm hoping that if the Sequel trilogy ends with the F.O. getting their butts handed to them and the New Republic is rebuilt that peace will be take. and if there is a Sequel Sequel Trilogy then it better be Far into the Future like at least 100 years into the future. Let Luke's Jedi Order flourish, let the New Republic rule the galaxy as a democracy and let the galaxy have some peace.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  24. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Good post. But i doubt that the ST has a positive end. I believe if there is another trilogy happening in a time not too distant to the OT, that the ST ends more like the PT...

25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    The new cast is young, talented, and popular. I see the next trilogy continuing with their story... whatever it may be.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing