main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Solving EU inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ithorians, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You can have 'dearth of Darths'. Take a God-Emperor heart point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Even the earliest EU works (think Russ Manning and 10th Degree Humans, for example) had it established that human populations can greatly differ across the Galaxy. Some are just longer lived, some not so much. The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook actually has multiple references to this concept of normal humans being able to expect lifespans of well over a Century, and also this gem of a conversation:

The examples of Duke Teta living to be 300 due to many medical procedures, and his ancestor the Empress making it to at least 175 also come to mind. Normal, non-Force Sensitive humans can indeed live long lives (by our standards). No doubt other examples would exist among the vast Human genetic diversity known to exist in the GFFA of the EU.

As for Cade's assumption that "any Human" who had been a Jedi General in the Clone Wars would have long since been dead, note that Cade did not know just how much of Krayt's life had been spent in stasis, nor to what extent Krayt had learned healing and life extension techniques from XoXaan- one of the original Exiles that had first discovered them. Those techniques had been lost by the time Palpatine came around, but he missed out on XoXaan and her Holocron, lost knowledge rediscovered by Krayt. Cade of course did not know all of this, though may have later learned this during his time in the Sith Temple. At first, his disbelief that a Human such as Krayt would still be around over a Century later has as much to do with the mortality rates of the Clone Wars-era Jedi as it would with normal human aging.

Without those life-extending techniques, Sith such as Palpatine, to use your example, had to resort to using clones to get around the ravages that extended Dark Side usage inflicted on them. So, there really isn't any contradiction in terms of the Emperor having to resort to clones while other Sith Lords lived for Centuries- it's a matter of the knowledge they had access to.

DarthJaceus and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Darth Plagueis, it's stated that he's discovered how to slow ageing massively (and that eventually he will stop ageing altogether - this is late in the book though - and he didn't have a chance to tell Palpatine about it before Palpatine killed him.

DarthJaceus and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I didn't like the ending of Plagueis. It's completely bizarre Plagueis would think he would be made into co-chancellor. My idea was that Plagueis was slated for the Dooku role and he and Palpatine would fight the Clone Wars. The difference being, unlike with Dooku, the war would be very real for Plagueis and he'd rule the galaxy if he won. Palpatine had to hurriedly kill Plagueis before learning all Plagueis knew because Plagueis was on the verge of raising an army and becoming a real threat to Palpatine--a Separatist threat that wasn't a sham.

kalzeth likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So about Ederlath Pallopides-I'm not sure how we can make that gel with events in Darth Plagueis where Palpatine slaughters his family. How was she related to him? A cousin's child perhaps?

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I think Cosinga's mistress' family.

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That would seem reasonable-it would however make her claim to the imperial throne far weaker from a legal POV.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Headcanon: SWTOR is a hologame that Luke created for everyone at the Jedi Praxeum to play.

SheaHublin likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Pffft.

And the True Sith reference?

10. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    I'm probably missing out on a lot having never finished SWTOR, will be on my list to play when I return home...after Destiny. If I ever escape that black hole...gods I miss that game.

kalzeth likes this.
  11. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    There's no inconsistency between the existence of Ederlatth Pallopides- a "remote Grand-niece" and the deaths of the immediate family, and only the immediate family, of the Emperor from decades before. The Marvel reference of "the Imperial Family", Children of the Jedi's reference of "exploited by some relative of the Emperor's" (in the sense of more than one existing) by Leia, and his "third-cousin Volpau". If anything, the Plagueis novel actually serves to reconcile what had been a mild inconsistency- the references to various relatives without any mention of more immediate family of the Emperor.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Another theory of mine is that Palpatine didn't actually kill and clone Lemelisk, but rather used The Force to make Lemelisk think that that was happening.

13. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

Interesting, and plausible theory.

Though it makes his quote from EGTW when sentenced to death by the New Republic somewhat less fun, "Just do it PROPERLY this time..."

Daneira likes this.
  14. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Honestly, I like your theory far more than the legends take on it...

Jarrus and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think part of Palpatine repeatedly killing and cloning Lemelisk was practice for his own post death clone essence transfer planes.

16. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    I think he just found the process of killing and cloning far more enjoyable than merely mind-wiping. Palpatine was like that.

It obviously escaped him to find someone else / more competent to design his super weapons.

Also - regarding Plagueis, I find it amusing that Palpatine would choose to live finitely over living infinitely (i.e. wait for Plagueis' revelation before killing him) purely over the notion of power. Sounds contradictory - unless you consider Palpatine insane.

17. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    You´re right, it does makes sense that way... it just never really worked for me because I imagine the amount to psychological trauma from just one of those horrible deaths would be enough for Lemelisk to be useless for the Emperor´s purposes (he did remember his previous deaths, right?)

Well, in a completely different matter, I´ve been very interested in the whole Thrawn Trilogy storyline, and I got curious about Joruus C`Baoth and the Guardian from Mount Tantiss. I had always assumed that they were really one and the same, but I saw recently that some years later it was confirmed that they were separate entities that did fight, so Joruus version of it all was true after all.

C´Baoth´s clone was created by Palpatine, so if he wasn´t the Guardian (and actually killed him) was there ever an explanation on why Palpatine kept him around? I assume he was an experiment to see first hand how cloning worked on a powerful Force sensitive, but after he was cloned (and confirmed insane) his purpose would have been fulfilled...

Jarrus and comradepitrovsky like this.
  18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Maz Kanata was obviously the Guardian of Mount Tantiss. It explains a lot. :p (How did you get that saber?!)

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Maz got it from Mara when it was time to build her own lightsaber. So, in between Vision of the Future and Survivor's Quest. :D

As for the Guardian, maybe a surviving Inquisitor?

sidv88 likes this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It just hit me... Maul's Legends fate has never canonically been revealed right? Son of Dathomir can't fit in Legends due to the contradictions in Maul's parentage between it and the Darth Plagueis novel. So the last time we saw Maul in Legends was in TCW when Sidious was zapping him, but saying that he won't kill him.

Darth Maul is the Guardian of Mount Tantiss in the EU! :eek: Sidious put him there to guard the mountain as punishment, and C'baoth killed him.

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Whatever happened to Antinnis Tremayne? He was a big inquisitor and behind the scenes in villain in Dark Forces. Wookieepedia doesn't give him a death date.

I'm curious where there other imperial dark siders that survived in Legends whose names weren't Lumiya.

kalzeth likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I could honestly work with this.

sidv88 likes this.
  23. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Ooh, I really like this one. Headcanoned!

PCCViking and sidv88 like this.
  24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    What would make that more fitting was that I think Joruus C'baoth was originally going to be a clone of Obi-Wan before Lucasfilm nixed that idea.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Easy. He became leader of the Remnant's force users. Without the corrupting influence of Palpatine, these knights gradually became more in the light. By the time Jaina Solo joins the Empire she becomes the leader of the Imperial Knights.