main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 13, 2015.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah I confess I'd not seen her in a lot of films previously but I'm going to have to get around to watching the stuff Like Crazy, not sure I can stomach another Da Vinci Code film though.;)

I do tend to agree with you that several viewings down the line the real core of the film along with Edwards grasp of dramatic atmosphere is Jones performance even if its less eye catching than say roles like K2. Perhaps that explains why the film has divided opinion as much as it has? with TFA I think to some degree "battle lines" had already been drawn before release but Rogue One didn't have the same pro/anti Lucas debate attached to it yet got some very up/down responses.

Some of the scenes like the hologram of Galen are pretty obvious emotionally but a lot of others are more subtle, especially for a modern mainstream action blockbuster. I actually felt Godzilla was similar in the way Edwards had Taylor Johnson play the character which seemed to divide audiences, maybe the kind of performance people are either not used to seeing or just aren't expecting from this kind of film? The initial scene with Jyn on Yavin could almost take the place of one of those "emotional intelligence" tests, 90% of the drama depends on reaction shots from Jones rather than dialog, maybe someone should survey Rogue One opinion by index finger length? :D

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes. A lot of people expect bombastic cartoonish personalities in their genre blockbusters, and Rogue One didn't meet that expectation. Instead, they got genuine, naturalistic acting. Which is partly why, IMO, I find it to be the best Star Wars film in the series.

my kind of scum likes this.
  3. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Personally as I said I think a big issue for a lot of people is that there opinion of a film like ESB was built up over multiple viewings across many years were as these days there a tendency to set your opinion in stone after one viewing based on committing to a load of arguments you aren't willing to climb down from. Style wise though these two films are actually not that far apart at all for me, I think that Fecility Jones performance for example is clearly similar to Carrie Fisher in Empire. I can almost imagine Edwards showing people that opening scene with Leia giving Han sidelong glances in the Hoth control room under moody lighting and saying "this is what were after".

Again I think there is a tenancy to rather write off actresses giving more subtle performances are just down to there being good looking when really your talking well controlled physical performances just as with actors doing the same. Johansson in Under the Skin, Portman in Jackie, both leads in Blue is the Warmest Colour, etc come to mind as some of the best performances this decade for me yet I don't think they got as much praise as they deserved. The nature of Rogue One as an action blockbuster does I think mean Felicity Jones doesn't get quite as much to work with but yeah I can definitely see an argument for her giving the best performance in a Starwars film(obviously a very subjective argument given the range of very different performances involved), the council speech still feels a bit clunky to me(mostly the writing) and she might not have many one liners but the character built up very successfully.

What your often looking at as well IMHO with these kinds of performances is a strong link between the director and the actor. Classic thesp theatrical scenery chewing for example can I think happen more independently of the director who just points a camera in the right direction buit capturing a more subtle physical performance comes down to the actor and director working together, De Niro and Marty being perhaps the most obvious example of this across multiple films,

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Would it be possible for her to return to the franchise to give a cameo or something in the future?

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm sure she'll appear in at least one more episode of Forces of Destiny. Apart from that though, honestly I doubt it.

6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I could see her popping up in the Han Solo film. But I also doubt that.

But there's still a lot of the Dark Times we haven't seen, and I could see Jyn (as part of Saw's gang) appearing in a future film set during this period.

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What if Han just mentions someone named Liana Hallik. Felicity is too old to portray her younger self. But Han name dropping her alias would be a cool easter egg.

8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    That would be great. Though Felicity looks quite young for her age, and I think she could convincingly play her yoUnger self.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I was always hoping the reason Liana ended up in the slammer was due to schemes that would happen in the Han Solo movie but I believe Rebel Rising covered that.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know - while she looks pretty young for her age, she's 34. Jyn is, I believe, 21 by the time of Rogue One. If she were to appear in the Han Solo movie, which takes place several years earlier, 34 year old Felicity Jones would have to play a 10-15 year old Jyn.
    Which, uh, brings this to mind:

[​IMG]
    :p

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, in that case, recast and have Steve Buscemi take on the role. He’s got the experience!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That's perfect - and not nightmare fuel at all!

[​IMG]

13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    There are red lines. And you’ve just crossed a really red one. A truly disastrous image that I can never unsee.

14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I have to do some good around here! :D

15. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    Oh, like he hasn't pulled it off flawlessly before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Experience indeed. (Really though, I adore Buscemi and sure wish someone would cast him in a Star War...)

Back on subject, I don't see Felicity playing her younger self either. I think it's crazy enough that she played a supposed 21 y/o in Rogue One the same year she did A Monster Calls, in which she's the mother of a pre-teen. In Han Solo she'd be a teenager? Naw.

11-4D likes this.
  16. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
  17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

Mr. Forest and ZodaEX like this.
  18. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    If we didn't see it happen for a few years one option could be for Beau Gadsdon to play her again.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Sure. As long as she hasn’t lost her acting chops!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That would have probably worked better if the Han Solo movie had come out before RO and that name was dropped during it.

Then when RO came out and Liana Hallik was revealed to be an alias of Jyn Erso everybody would be in awe of that minor detail from the previous Han Solo movie that now connects it to RO.

But that didn't happen.

21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Damn, if only 2018 was before 2016.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  22. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    think she did a great job and wish she had of survived to pop up in other movie projects

23. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    Jyn Erso is a really good charactere ... I'll be pleased if we see her again in another star wars movie

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I think there's definitely room for more Jyn. The problem is, its now or never. I just don't see it as a priority for lucasfilm. They have Cassian, Baze, and Chirrut who warrant further exploration, and I doubt they get anything too.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  25. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    This thread is nice to read because it's overall a positive place for people who love Jyn. It's just interesting because tumblr side of the fandom paints her as the Worst character in the franchise for a lot of reasons that make no sense at all. It's a big contrast compared to what i read here.
    So again, this thread is refreshing, really :)

Gigoran Monk likes this.