main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #9-13: The Enormous Profit & Annual #1 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Liked it.
    - Not as much Vader as I expected from the solicit but that's ok.
    - So the murderbots are finally free at last. "Until we meet again". Creepy indeed.
    - Aphra not wanting to be a good person but doing it anyway. [face_laugh]
    - According to the solicit from Doctor Aphra #13, Vader didn't expect her survival but we'll see how it goes.
    - Vader vs Rur. "None shall escape me." Bring it on.
    - Black Krrsantan owes a life debt to the Xonti brothers, so he didn't kill them and now after Aphra helped him they're square. I wonder if she truly wanted to sell him out to save her own skin.
    - Art was great as usual.

SilentGuy66 and La Calavera like this.
  2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Oh, boy.
    The death of that droid at Vader's hand, at the very start... that was horrifying.

3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    This issue was so fun!
    I love the moment the murder droids got finally free. It's still a little contrived that they let Aphra live but I like the way Gillen handled.
    The droid repeating about the drinks was simultaneously disturbing and funny - heck the whole issue was both disturbing and funny, and I wished they made TV series out of this.
    So, Vader is going to battle the consciousness of an ancient Jedi gone mad who controls machines while Aphra tries to find a way out of the mess she created. I expect the next issue to be nothing short of awesome.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I fully believe the droids are letting her live because they want to kill her when it's not so easy.

But yes, I totally predict Vader will discover her survival.

Which means there's only one place in the universe left for her to go: The Rebel Alliance.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    And I know that is not the story some what to see but that does seem to be the direction they are headed with her character. They are definitely showing that Luke is having an affect on her. She is now having a desire to do something 'good'. And I am sure they will continue to play into that more and more as time goes on.

6. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Eh, my main concern about her becoming a Rebel is that the Rebel Alliance is a blackhole for characterization and an endless repetitiveness of same old missions and character journeys. Once a character joins the Rebellion, there is not leaving it and storytelling possibilities become limited, until that character either retires or dies an heroic death. I don’t mind Aphra gaining some goodness and maybe helping the Rebellion here and there out of goodwill, but unpredictability is part of her character's selling point. I would prefer she remained independent of the Rebellion, with always many open doors to her many possible futures.

7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Really depends on who the writer is. There are still a lot of stories to tell with the Rebel Alliance and how well the writers tell those stories will say how interesting they wind up being.

They can do a lot with Aphra if she joins the Alliance given everything she knows. I personally think there is more potential for her as a character if she does join the Rebels than if she is just going on one Indiana Jones adventure after another.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I assume Aphra will be filling the void Han Solo has of being the criminal scum without a heart of gold....or at least one of very few karats.

9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I am so in love with this book more and more each issue. I love that Aphra is very much still an ahole and I honestly think should would have at least thought of selling Krrsantan. And yet despite all that she still on some level wants to be a hero and another part of her absolutely hates the idea. I was hesitant at first with the idea of a good or at least wanting to be good Aphra and more and more Gillan has sold me on it. She is like a more cruel but less damaged version of Jessica Jones on some level [/spoiler}

SilentGuy66 and Darth_Voider like this.
  10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    The guys on Jedi Council said yesterday that there is going to be an Aphra story in the Certain Points of View book coming out. Will obviously take place during ANH so will be prior to her appearance in the Vader series.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Aphra's problem is she's used to operating in a cynical world where everyone is out for everyone else. A world of Gray and Gray Morality.

The problem is Darth Vader is genuinely EVIL and the heroes are genuinely GOOD.

It shakes her faith in her worldview.

Her comedic evil doer sidekicks also betraying her also leaves her in kind of a spot.

12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Finally caught up with Aphra and even thou her series isn't my favourite Marvel Star Wars comic right now, I find myself really intrigued by the fact that I don't know what will happen to her compared to most of the other main characters in other series.

We'll she join the Rebellion, be killed by Vader or simply continue doing what she's been doing albeit in a less cynical and evil mode?

I'm kinda expecting an ending similar to the Last Crusade with Aphra riding/flying a spaceship into the sunset.

This way we could also have Aphra reaper in the ST as an older woman.

And find out she has a lost son played by Shia LeBeouf [face_laugh]

13. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    Still a pretty good series so far, if only because it's going to be sick to see Vader fight a droid possessed by an artifical ancient Jedi. Is one of his sabers a crossguard saber too, only with four crossguard blades instead of the usual two? I find Triple Zero's loophole betrayl to be a bit strange considering he should have been able to do that at anytime, plus there was really no point in him rescueing Aphra at End of Games if he was just going to leave her later. Overall still fun, I especially love seeing the new species in this series like the Ezaraa of however it is you spell that. (Would be beautiful to see one of those aliens kill Ezra if they weren't so crap at their job :p )

14. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Finally picked up Issue 12 after Hurricane Irma delays and it was well worth the wait...

Absolutely love the art and dialogue when Trip and Beetee are set free. The silhouettes in front of the orange moon are beautiful both when Aphra and Trip are facing each other and especially when Trip opens all of his hidden enhancements. Super creepy "goodbye" or more like a "see you later".

Also, loved the Shadow University being used as bait. Did Aphra kill the Dean of the Shadow University? It looked like she might have as Aphra looks like she is hiding something in her right hand as she approaches. Either way, some cold-blooded attitude and dialogue from the Doctor in that scene.

I think the writer is doing a great job of balancing Doctor Aphra's bad-assery along with her tinge of goodness. Will she be solo in the next arc considering the murderbots are free and Krrsantan is going to do what he will with the Xonti Bros and he & Aphra are even,

Great build-up to the next issue which is going be fantastic. Vader vs. Rur and Aphra trying to leave with the crystal undetected.

I love this arc and this comic. It is phenomenal.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah bunch of really awesome stuff throughout, fantastic art and I especially liked when the Shadow University person died and Aphra goes "Hey, guys! Your bait just died!" And Vader I'm sure finds it mildly interesting that he still gets to kill more Jedi. The BT Tripple Zero leaving Aphra scene was great, very creppy. And they popped up again in the letter column at the end so that was neat.

La Calavera likes this.
  16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I like what's coming afterwards with the Shadow University artifacts. Can't wait for the next issue, hope the lightsaber fight between Vader and Rur is good. Hope to see more of the aqua colored lightsabers. I love those for some reason and this series has delivered.

Shadowrain10 and vncredleader like this.
  17. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I can't wait for the next issue of Aphra. I think she is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in the new canon.

18. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Do we know for sure if this arc ends with issue 13 or 14? I thought this arc would end at the next issue (13) and then a new arc would start at 14 with the new cover artist Ashley Witter taking the reins with the new story with Tolvan. However, wookiepedia is showing the current arc ending at 14. Plus, the cover of 15 with the host of new characters may indicate a new arc. Really looking forward to issue 13 coming out.

19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I wonder who wins?

20. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Aphra, of course.

21. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    [​IMG]

vncredleader likes this.
  22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If there's another arc after this, I see it being a story about Aphra working alone.

No Krrsantan no murder droids. Just Aphra and showing how she acts when there's no one to be sassy around

vncredleader likes this.
  23. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Anybody else get a Blade Runner vibe during the Triple Zero - Aphra conversation about whether the murder droids actually need a master? When Roy Batty meets his maker and asks him for more life, I get the same creepy (in a good way) vibe that I got when Trip asks Aphra for their freedom. Aphra is like Dr. Tyrell in the sense that she is 0-0-0's maker...she inserted the matrix into the protocol droid and reactivated him. The replicants are unsatisfied with their life span and what they were created for, just as are the murder droids are unsatisfied by the restraints Aphra has programmed into them. Although the replicants don't get what they want from their maker, the murder droids do get what they wanted from their master - freedom. It remains to be seen if Aphra experiences the same fate as Dr. Tyrell...dying at the hands of their own creation.

BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Can't wait to see the preview for issue 13

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  25. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Are the previews a thing of the past? I would think the preview for Doctor Aphra 13 would have been out last Friday.