main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You don't agree with my factual comments? :p

my kind of scum likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The game wasn't great, the models even worse. The quality of plastic for most ships was inferior, so you ended up with a bunch of bent, misshapen capital ships and fighters. I do give them credit for using the Viscount-class though. That model was high quality and actually holds up well.

--Adm. Nick

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Starter set. Has to sell people on the models. ;)

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  4. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Unless it gives Fry room to call the Raddus a Viscount-class in the TLJ ICS, based on the prototype 3km-length. If that happens, then Fry will have backed into one of the coolest retcons in franchise history.

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Making the Viscount a 3Km ship and the class type of the Raddus I'd be all for in the new canon. In the old EU it was a mess of a retcon. In the new canon, it would be neat.

Nobody145 and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have wanted to mention that as a retcon but knew the whole Viscount retcon was greatly disliked. I find it more jarring that the Bounty was retconned into a 17km behemoth and not the Harbinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Grrr, I haven't had time to play Rebellion yet with the Rise of the Empire expansion. The pieces and cards they added are great, it tweaks the game just enough and adds more variables to make it feel both the same and fresh. I'm hoping to get a game in this week. Of course, I haven't played Armada in ages as well, those poor Hammerhead corvettes and light carrier haven't even been to battle yet. :(

--Adm. Nick

JediBatman likes this.
  8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I played Rise of the Empire last Saturday. I was the Rebels and my friend was the Empire. Surprisingly I was only able to recruit Cassian while he got all the new leaders except the Death Troopers. The new Objectives and new Missions really kept me on my toes since I was so used to the old ones. Sure on this occasion the Empire destroyed my base on Kessel and managed to snuff out freedom forever, but I almost didn't mind because I loved the challenge!

Also, the new Advanced Tactic Cards are the best thing to happen to this game. The old system involved spamming a bunch of cards, usually to deal or block damage. It was just adding even more randomness to dice based combat. Now there's some actual strategy involved in combat. You might want to save a card for a latter battle, or try to predict which card your opponent will play. I almost used one to pull a sneaky retreat that would have gotten me an Objective for threatening the Core . . . but my opponent pointed out that legally I had to go to Kashyyyk instead. Oops.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/15/craft-your-character/

For those interested in the evolution of the system.

So for the core system, we provide four different archetypes of humans for you to use when building your character. The first is the brawny laborer. This archetype focuses on being strong and tough, though they have less mental fortitude than other archetypes. The second is the brilliant intellectual, who is as smart as the laborer is strong, but trades some toughness to do so. The charming aristocrat is a smooth social operator who is a little less physically strong than the others, but otherwise eminently capable. Finally, the average human is a very balanced archetype who is probably the most customizable of the bunch.

I love how there's literally a "race" for GrandAdmiralJello, and there's also a literal working class for him to look down upon. Actually, all four archetypes for human are socio-economic classes! Working class (labourer); intelligentsia (intellectual); middle class (average human) and upper class (aristocrats).

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is a good game system and every one of them should be like this.

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The FFG boards have some lefties taking umbrage with the classist approach, GrandAdmiralJello. I pointed out we could run a Khmer Rouge game where labourers kill every other archetype...

Gorefiend likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Class warfare? How proletarian.

Worker revolutions are so last century.

Daneira and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/18/pointed-questions/

racial stats for Melitto

[​IMG][​IMG]

Many would think that the inability to see would put Melittos at the mercy of their surroundings, but in fact the opposite is true. Melitto characters begin with a free rank of the Perception skill, and they never take penalties to Perception or combat checks due to darkness or vision-related environmental factors. As most Melittos encountered in the galaxy are of the male ronin variety, they have an innately higher than average Brawn rating which is a natural extension of their being bred for manual labor and combat duties.

Gorefiend and JediBatman like this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  15. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    [​IMG]
    From the newest "Dawn of Rebellion" preview.

I like the subtlety of preparing us for the second Death Star. Could be the beginning of the story of when the second one began construction, which here seems to suggest it had begun prior to the operational start of DS-1.

(And yes, I know FFG is not entirely canon, but it is my own expectation that this book may be the first 100% canon entry).

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh boy, you're going to irritate someone... :p

17. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    May all my 100+ RPG books from WEG and WOTC prove I'm not a canon purist, and I like the way FFG has managed itself so far. But I'd like a canon sourcebook once in a while.

18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    So do I, so do I. I think they're very good at expanding the universe, so it should count somehow.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

It'll be canon when people in this thread stop making stupid comments.

So, never.

20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I get that you don't believe in being, you know, nice, but that's abusive even by your standards. People wanting or even hoping for the FFG books to be canon simply shouldn't offend you that much.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

It is wilful stupidity, which is offensive. The devs have been crystal clear on their approach. The devs want to empower roleplayers to have the best RPG experience in the Star Wars setting. They don't give, quite rightly, two ****s about the people who buy these books for their art and stats (that they can't put into context anyway). And it's more the latter than former obsessing over canonicity.

Like, they're statting the Death Star, which means it's killable. Which means I can roll up an Ace Pilot from AOR, get 200 earned XP under my belt, just to invest in talents and my piloting/gunnery skills, and then take my A-, X-, Y- or B-Wing out and destroy it. Not Luke; me. That's what the devs intended by statting it. Does that sound like they give a monkey's nut about canon?

It's only Lit people that struggle with this, so let me repeat - these books aren't written, designed, or made for you. That doesn't stop you enjoying their content, but if you buy 2x of every book or stop buying them altogether the output will be the same - source material for a roleplaying game. Not canon worldbuilding. Not encyclopedias of the universe. Their mission statement is clear, and that you can derive unintended, ancilliary and secondary enjoyment from them means you are repurposing them for your ends. Not that FFG winked at you and said "well, we've put stuff in for you too". They didn't.

But, that's not to say "hands off my hobby". Please, continue to buy the X-Wing and Armada minis and not play the game. Hell I have the HWK-290 and YT-2400 and I don't play X-Wing. I have the fighters and freighters from Armada, but just for the RPG.

Continue to buy expensive books so you can take in the art and side bar fluff. You are funding the continued success of the game and that's why we get a Genesys. I don't care if you buy the stuff. I encourage it.

I care when you try to make a book with a defined, clear, and set purpose something it's not, because you don't understand that purpose. I don't come at your visual/essential guides and complain they're not compatible with RPG stats, because nobody every said they would be. FFG aren't WEG, and WEG didn't set out to build the EU in the way it built the EU.

Just respect the ****ing hobby.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  22. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    EDIT: Not worth it.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ender. You sound afraid. As if you think Story Groups will start getting ideas. Accidentally canonizing things that shouldn't be.

muhahahhaahaaaaaa because it's totally gonna happen.

Daneira, spicer and Darth_Duck like this.
  24. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Alright, enough. Ender, that crossed the line. And you have a history of doing that.

Do it again, and you won't be permitted to post in this thread any longer.

You insist that people respect the hobby, but you need to respect other people. That comes first.