main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This would actually be an interesting idea that was missed in the prequels that Disney could follow up for the sequel trilogy.

Ben Solo: Master Skywalker, if Jedi are supposed to be guardians of peace and justice, then why should they back the Republic only? Shouldn't they at least hear the First Order side of the story?

Darth Caliban and DARTH_MU like this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Vos also mercy killed that Jedi; they had already poisoned themselves.

So all he did was kill some clones, and I am unsure if he did do that from memory.

In Legends he killed that Senator in cold blood and was accepted back. And hospitalised K'Kruhk. And murdered his aunt. So it's a bit up and down...

If you discount the Jedi in Canon, he was worse in Legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Caliban likes this.
  3. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm not sure if the Jedi knew about Vos killing his aunt? They definitely knew about Senator Viento though. Considering only Vos and Dooku were there at the aunt's death, Vos could have blamed it on Dooku.

So from the Legends' Jedi point of view, Vos only killed Senator Viento, who the Jedi later discovered was a Separatist--Although not outright stated, it seems clear to me that Vos retroactively played up the killing as helping the Republic war effort, no different from killing a military target like Grievous etc (Yeah it obviously wasn't, but it was never made clear the Jedi knew that).

Meanwhile in canon, Vos killed a Jedi (who he mercy killed only because the Jedi activated his biological poison to defend himself from Vos' attack) and many other clones (I remember clearly he killed a bunch of clones in the novel)--to free Dooku. Going from what the Jedi know in both continuities, the Disney Jedi had far more Vos crimes that they knew about than the Legends Jedi did.

And K'Kruhk--the Jedi probably figured if K'Kruhk wasn't permanently harmed, then what Vos did to him isn't worse than what he goes through on an average day anyway, considering how many times he's been trounced...

And remember, Legends Vos publicly stated he was leaving the Jedi after the Clone Wars to marry Khaleen. So from Legends Jedi point of view, Vos is as good as gone anyway.

spicer and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    In Legends, Vos confessed all his crimes to the Jedi Council. But he omitted his cold-blooded murder of Sheyf Tinte Vos. Perhaps he felt that such a brutal act would not be forgiven by the Jedi Council.

Darth Caliban and Sinrebirth like this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, but it *wasn't* a "cold-blooded" murder - he killed her in a rage after learning that she'd fed his parents to vampires. That's why killing the clones in DD comes across so poorly. They're completely innocent victims whereas everyone else is like Anakin killing Dooku: bad, but you can understand why he did it.

6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Ganner Rhysode and Wurth were in charge of the Academy while Kylo Ren and the rest of the Knights of Ren indiscriminately slaughters everything in their path while Kam and Tionne went to Luke and Aphra's wedding.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That wouldn't work on so many levels... to predate Wurth and Ganners deaths Ren would have wiped out the Jedi before the first year of the Vong War was over.

Thanks for the novelty.

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Plus The Ganner would have crushed the Master of the Knights of Ren.

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm not finished with the new Leia book, but it is definitely not One Canon friendly. Aside from the only people Leia was close to growing up being her parents (with no mention of her aunts, who have already been mentioned in canon sources, or Winter), there's several issues with Naboo, namely the moons. In Legends, Naboo has three moons: Ohma-D'un and Rori, which were mainly settled by miners and isolationist Gungans, and an unnamed third moon which was a barren oversized asteroid. Legends Naboo has only these three moons, as they can be seen in the sky while on-planet in Star Wars Galaxies.

Canon Naboo's first mentioned moon is Veruna, which has no information on it. We can easily say this is the unnamed third moon or perhaps what the human Naboo call Ohma-D'un, which is obviously a Gungan name.

The next moon, Onoama, the one mentioned in the Leia book, is a bit tricky. Many wealthy Naboo have second homes on Onoama, including the Queen and Moff Panaka. This can not easily conform to any of the Legends moons. The only way to make this work is to say (and I'm not sure if this is scientifically possible) that this fourth moon of Naboo has a different orbit than the other three and is on the other side of the planet and therefore is not seen in the night sky with them. Does that make sense?

Queen Dalne is also a problem, as Kylantha in Legends was queen from 18 BBY through after Yavin. Perhaps Kylantha served non-consecutive terms.

And then there's Panaka.
    Panaka recognizes Leia as the daughter of Padme, and is about to contact Palpatine to tell him, but he dies in a Partisan terrorist bombing. This is at odds with Legends, where Leia meets with him post-Endor. He is alive and well and does not recognize her as Padme's daughter.

Perhaps the bomb, while still managing to kill members of his staff, merely sent Panaka into a coma. He was in unstable condition for awhile, though, with his death seemingly imminent, which is why the mainstream Alliance is angry at the Partisans for getting rid of someone close to Palpatine who was still a good man. Also, he would obviously be less likely to support a Rebellion that attempted to kill him. When he meets with Leia years later, he does not make the Padme connection, as Leia is wearing a simpler hairstyle, is no longer a teenager, and is not wearing one of Dalne's fancy Naboo dresses.

Also, I'm not finished with the book, but it doesn't seem like canon Leia ever went to college, which in addition to contradicting Legends is just a depressing change.

10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    One aside - the Panaka scene was not printed in the Warfare, but the End Notes. It could be fudgeable. However, Panaka is in Galaxies I believe too...?

EDIT: I like the Veruna idea. Though if it was (re)named after his rule, I doubt the moon was nameless before...!

Fallen Jedi Master and Daneira like this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    (spoiler for Leia book)
    I don't have the Leia book, so I'm just making retcons based on what has been said. For Panaka, maybe Imperial Intelligence, knowing Panaka was targeted by the Partisans, covered up Panaka's survival until Saw Gerrera was killed. Once Saw's death happens in Rogue One, Panaka comes out of hiding and resumes his Moff career.

As for Panaka not knowing about Leia being Padme's daughter in the Warfare book, I can conjecture--during the time Panaka was "dead" he did some research into Leia. Bail Organa, knowing this sort of thing would happen eventually, long since had planted false info about Leia's DNA etc into the records. And she most definitely does NOT have a high midichlorian count, in case any recruiting Inquisitors happen to look into these records too. ;)

Once Panaka saw these fake records in his research, he assumed his conclusion on Leia being Padme's daughter was a mistake (easily explained as in real life Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman don't really have a resemblance).

12. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Yes, Panaka is in Galaxies too, as a quest giver.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Tapatalk

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    But isn't Panaka a Moff in the Leia book, then just a Colonel in Galaxies? He survived the assassination (by One Canon) but was demoted? :eek:

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Sounds like the Thrawn treatment from Last Command. As Pellaeon would say, Panaka was probably lucky; Vader would have summarily executed him.

15. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Well also, Thrawn by the time of Galaxies in New Canon is already a Grand Admiral but in Galaxies he's just a captain. Also in Galaxies Panaka isn't even Imperial, but still with the Naboo RSF.

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    *Technically* the PSFs were formally a part of the Army as of the Clone Wars. I'm sure that would continue under the Empire.

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  17. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    I'm so jacuas nu the Jedi labarin is reveled to have survived order 66 in the newcanon. How are we going to explan how she survived order getting a lightsaber thow the chess

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    No different than Adi Galia getting stabbed in Obsession in a comic and surviving.

Comics are one of those medias where survival is easier to hand-wave.

19. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Ok good so this would make her bad## granny

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Jocasta survived by using a Clawdite impersonator. If they actually used this explanation in the comic book (which isn't out yet), I'd be impressed since it'd be a nice nod to TCW (where Nu was impersonated by a Clawdite).

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    True that would be funny

22. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    That's not very Jedi like...

Then again, they did that with Clones all the time during the Clone Wars

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Maybe it was a Clawdite Jedi who insisted on sacrificing herself for Master Nu (and the Jedi order), knocking the real Nu out and putting her on a speeder on autopilot.

24. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Or just staying in the library while the others escaped- serving as a distraction.

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Don't Clawdites revert to their own appearance when killed?

Vialco and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.