main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No because that's completely fine and how the entire setup is intended to work. And think of how we benefit if they go "well, we love the concept of the Sa Nalalor from Beyond the Rim and want to include it in Rebels" - that just puts the spotlight on the RPG and FFG books.

It does not change the fundamentals, no matter how much wishful thinking Lit people put into it.

FFG content = cart
    Story group = horse
    Therefore, statements about FFG book/s being canon being the idiom about the "cart before the horse" to vivid, lost-on-the-boat life.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Why the heck does it even matter so much to you, though? You've already said that people buying the books for the "wrong" reasons is still a good thing because it helps support FFG financially. Angrily obsessing over motivations for actions that you approve of feels pointless.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Because I remember the crap WEG got for making an RPG that others decided was a good basis for universe building outside of roleplaying games, and how angry basement dwellers then acted in response to numbers they didn't understand. We're talking about people so socially maladjusted that they made death threats to Bob Salvatore, and had one end of its not-coping with the EU's demise spectrum a person burning their collection. Fans are not the most sane people, and their expectations are intentionally misaligned to the devs. Given they don't interact with the devs, it's contained but I mean look at this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:West_End_Games

"
    I believe that we should warn readers never to trust the numbers in West End Games.Edit

Let us face it, the numbers in West End Games are just unreliable. I have a new paragraph we might want to add:
    West End Games is notorious for just making up numbers rather than bothering to make a simple phonecall to Lucasfilm Ltd. for checking the canonical numbers. One should never accept its numbers at facevalue. The in-universe explanation used when one of its numbers is accidently quoted is that since the Rebel Alliance won the Galactic Civil War, the numbers accidently quoted are partially misinformed, partially propagandized information from the New Republic. This in-universe explanation works well because West End Games almost always underestimates the scale of Imperial things, e.g. small Executor-Class, nearly deserted Death Stars, et cetera.​
    — Ŭalabio‽ 03:18, 16 Sep 2005 (UTC) "

I'll give you an analogy that works:

I own a Logitech G920 steering wheel for my PC. It is designed to replicate a land vehicle's steering wheel and, combined with the foot pedals, allow me to virtually simulate driving a car/truck/etc. At no point have Logitech ever inferred, intimated, hinted or otherwise stated that the wheel can be used to simulate flying an aerial vehicle. The wheel does not have an X/Y axis of movement, which would mean it would be impossible to simulate pitch changes in a plane or helicopter.

Nonetheless, I go complain about how the wheel is not a very good device for controlling a plane. I wonder when patches will come out to better support the use of the G920 for flight sims. When the latest expansion to a flight sim is announced, I respond with "I hope this one supports the Logitech G920 wheel!"

Do you see how unreasonable that is? It's exactly how people here treat the FFG RPG, despite all evidence to the contrary.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ender, let's not dredge up old wounds (especially about lengths of ships in particular), particularly when quoting nonsensical posts from people that don't know what they're talking about.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Angry rants and demands to "respect the hobby" notwithstanding, this isn't 1987 anymore. The FFG writers can claim until they're blue in the face that they aren't worldbuilding, but they're also writing a Star Wars RPG (and are most likely hardcore Star Wars fans themselves) and are surely of how the source material presented in previous Star Wars RPGs was used. They're well aware that the canonicity of what they write is going to be debated, and if they're not, well, that's a sort of "willful stupidity" all its own.

As stated earlier in this thread, FFG doesn't have the luxury of deciding if their material is canon or not. That's Story Group's domain.

Daneira, Iron_lord and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    But asking or hoping something is canon isn't anywhere near death threats and burning stuff. Reacting to it like it is is like seeing someone light a match and hopping into a waterbomber to put it out. But keep knocking the fandom your actively participating in.

I bought the TFA beginner game, and I've been talking with different friends for months about getting together for a session, and everytime I come to this thread thinking about asking for advice, and then I read it. Your charms in particular have really just put me off rpgers the whole notion of playing rpgs. It doesn't look fun anymore.

At least the map in the box is pretty.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, that would be a real shame. Ender's just abrasive in general, from what I've seen - it doesn't have anything to do with being a RPGer. Most of the ones I've met or played with are perfectly nice people.

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Agreed, don't let him put you off trying out tabletop RPGs. You might find them fun, and like most geek subcultures RPG gamers are mostly friendly and pleasant enough. FFG's exorbitant prices are a high enough barrier to entry, don't let the occasional bad apple be another!

Should Ender question my right to make such bold and authoritative claims about "his" hobby, my qualifications include 28 years of RPG gaming as both player and GM, including a four year long campaign of the WEG RPG and two years (so far) of running FFG's game. So I'd like to think I do know a little bit of whence I speak :D

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005

So would you say he's coarse? Maybe even rough? And so on?

Darth_Henning likes this.
  10. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    This isn't reddit. We don't need r/PrequelMemes

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  11. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    I'm gaming (yes, non-continuously, you know, life) since 1992. I still want my canon sourcebook.
    Seriously, I love to read other experiences, from the experienced roleplayers and the newcomers alike. It's what makes this hobby wonderful.

12. Jeskan

Jeskan Jedi Knight

Jan 5, 2010

If you're interested in other peoples' RPG experience, I currently record a podcast where I play FFG's Star Wars RPG with a few comedian friends of mine. Here is the link to the Podcast http://rollonepodcast.podomatic.com or you can look up Roll One on nearly any podcasting service you like to use.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Gorefiend and JediBatman like this.
  14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    So my little SW campaign has come to an end - I had been running the published adventure Beyond The Rim, with my own little modifications, especially since my group is running with characters across all three main rulebooks. The bounty hunter got her ship 'destroyed' (meaning the records on her wanted ship marked as vaporized and a new transponder) and a lead on Mandalorian armor; the would-be Jedi got a lightsaber (minus a crystal) and a strange glowing box called a 'Holocron', the Republic spy droid got back in touch with the Rebellion, the medic got the chance to study cybernetics with a renowned expert, and the hired gun got his own ship, stolen from a Rodian clan.

After our traditional October 'horror gaming' divergence, we'll be heading back with one of the other players running the next SW adventure, we he is adapting from the old Traveller RPG, which is as old (if not older) than Star Wars itself. Plus, I get to run my character, the Duros archaeologist, Darkknell Basso...:D

Gorefiend, KerkKorpil and Vthuil like this.
  15. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I thought for a moment that you were saying your October horror gaming event would be SW adapted from a Traveller adventure (presumably of the more Halloweeny bent). Which wouldn't be outside the appropriate tone for a Darkknell Basso adventure, really.

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, there's certainly precedent for horror-style Star Wars - Otherspace, for instance.

But I'm hoping my characters adventures are more in the lines of looting the long-missing Queen of Ranoon, finding the Praxeum of Fate, finding artifacts from the final campaigns of the Pius Dea era, or even discovering the fabulous Kyber Cranium.

:p

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Should have just given them a Force & Destiny lightsabre, blackmyron

I was talking to GrandAdmiralJello about these - Adversary Decks.

I'm conflicted, because they're a bastard to find for roleplayers but they're cheap little character cards with standard amazing FFG art which you guys would love. Mostly it's a quick reference set of stats for stormtroopers, etc.

[​IMG]

I showed Iello the "Wealthy Noble" and I think a single tear of joy was shed.

The sets are as follows. I've now got all but one set, and even then had to remove the "credits" cards to fit them in a card box:

Imperials and Rebels I - as the name implies, Rebel soldiers, Imperial stormtroopers, moffs, etc
    Imperials and Rebels II - More of the same
    Citizens of the Galaxy - mechanics, nobles, and lots of useful droids like generic astromech, protocol, and medical
    Scum & Villainy - various fringers like smugglers, pirates, swoop gangers
    [​IMG]
    Hunters & Force Users - various trackers, scouts, a paladin of the Adamite Tower
    Creatures of the Galaxy - nexu, reeks, rancors, etc
    Critical Hit Deck - cards to cover all the critical injuries on the crit table
    Critical Starship Hit Deck - cards to cover all the critical hits to a ship.

Gorefiend and JediBatman like this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I do love that art of Ackbar. He looks so regal and in command, I'm tempted to make it my avatar again. :p

--Adm. Nick

KerkKorpil likes this.
  19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    He's doing fine with a Force pike.

Besides, the next GM can use it as a plot point if he so chooses.

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but the point is - EOTE/AOR lightsabres are fully upgraded with Crit 1, and 10 dmg.

F&D are I think crit 3? and dmg 6.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Lightsabers are superior, yes - but this is more about gradual character development.

Like I said, though, I'm not in charge anymore - if the next GM wants to give him the crystal right off the bat, that's his call. I suspect that he'll have it show up somewhere in the adventure, which he said is going to be a 'heist in space' type of deal...

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  23. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Gorefiend and my kind of scum like this.
  24. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Destiny is an amazingly fun game. I have become quite addicted to it. Just wish there was an active community playing it locally... (but that goes for anything star wars around here.)

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Some ppl I know have been using VoIP software like Teamspeak or Discord along with TableTop simulator to play RPGs remotely. You could find that as a mechanism for gaming with like minded fans outside of the confines of your physical location?

kalzeth likes this.