main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Seeing how things work these days with anything that's not a movie or a novel (when, except some novels of course), you probably will never get a clear answer regarding canonicity. Thus I've decided to take everything as canon by default until proven otherwise.

DarthJaceus and revan772 like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's also not that hard to conclude that the story doesn't take place immediately after the end of the Princess Leia miniseries. IIRC, the Rebels weren't totally done evacuating by the time Leia came back anyway.

Though it's peculiar that this is now the second story to use Evaan post-miniseries (therefore showing a clear awareness of it), but seemingly totally disregarding the thing where she became the new Princess of Alderaan at the end. I'm starting to suspect that's been straight-up retconned away.

revan772 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  3. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes. I did ask them about that, but they've done nothing but elude the question. It's a bit frustrating because I'd call it a day if they just admitted it's been retconned.

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    We were warned by the creators beforehand that some backup stories wouldn't be canon, and this is obviously one of them. It's easy enough to accept this as an in-universe tall tale.

spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    That's how I have chosen to present it in the WP article I'm working on.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, it doesn't really bother me from that standpoint. I'm speculating about a retcon more because, in addition to how this story and Life Debt used Evaan, there's also been a fairly continual presence of canon material coming out indicating that "Princess of Alderaan" is still very much part of Leia's identity, just maybe not at the forefront - which makes me wonder whether somebody decided "nah, that went too far" about the ending of the miniseries.

Revanfan1 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    That's perfectly fine. But, if non-hardcore SW fans or just casual readers picked up the Leia miniseries by MARVEL and this comic as well, would they be confused?

My point is, if LFL has given the liberty to authors to write vaguely canon or non-canon stories now (when everything post-2014 is supposed to be canon, period), then why not continue or at least wrap-up some Legends stories?

8. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    So like all 10 people that will end up picking up both titles AND being just casual fans? Yea, those 10 people will probably be confused

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

revan772 and Daneira like this.
  9. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    If the backup stories aren't canon, then would that mean that only the Rey stuff is?

10. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

Legends stories aren't generally framed as being stories told in-world. The niche opening up in the new canon is for stories that are explicitly presented as being 'some guy says'. Tales From Wild Space is deliberately set up like that.

If someone picked up the Leia miniseries and then read Flat Mountain, or vice versa, sure, maybe they'd be confused. But that's what the framing device is supposed to resolve (in favour of LEIA.) If you had a Tale From Wild Space all about Jacen and Jaina Solo, it'd need a whole lot more setup ('Hey, Crater, let's speculate about an entirely different timeline!')

Valin__Kenobi, BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  11. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Non hardcore SW fans and casual readers generally don't give a flying rip about the minutia of canon, they want occasional cool stories about characters they like.

spicer and SilentGuy66 like this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Can't argue with that. It's more about the (no matter how small) lack of principle and (no matter how small) double standards by LFL on this.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

It really is curious. Is Evaan just a really hands-off ruler or...?

14. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Is there a new law that "figurehead" rulers can't also fight in the Rebellion against the Empire? Alderaan is still a culture without a planet no?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. bdh1138

bdh1138 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 24, 2015
    I could be mistaken as I don't remember many details of the Leia miniseries, but was it ever explicitly stated that Evaan was given the title? I remember Leia suggesting that she would support it, but there was no election or formal handoff shown. Given the royalty plot in Bloodline, I just assume that they never followed up on the gesture, having more pressing concerns with the Rebellion.

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    There was no election, no. But the fact that we saw Evaan sitting on a throne, wearing the same kind of white gown and silver necklace Leia wore at the end of Episode IV was pretty telling.

17. bdh1138

bdh1138 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 24, 2015
    Ah, okay. That's one of those things I didn't remember

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Okay, I'm going to eat my words. I picked up this comic book and I love it. Heck, I even picked up two variants that are cool looking. I'm looking forward to the second issue already. So, yep.............I'm eating my words. [face_blush]

revan772 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  19. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Glad you are enjoying it! It is really a fun read.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The backup story was better than the last one but the Rey story in both issues I thought was the bees knees. The art really feels zippy and pops off the page. And I can buy Unkar would "pay his debts" to Rey mostly because she's one of his best scavengers, so if he coughs up 30 portions that'll keep her happy and bringing in more junk for him. Heck, maybe the 30 portions is why he's down to half and quarter portions by the time TFA happens. "Look, lady, I gave you 30 portions, that should have lasted"

21. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Especially with how it's been established that Rey is very thrifty when it comes to food.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So the sequence of events:

Death Star orbits Yavin (ANH)
    Rebels destroy Death Star before being destroyed (ANH)
    Rebels throw a medal ceremony (ANH)
    Leia and Evaan go on an adventure with other Alderaanians (Leia comic 1-5)
    They come back to Yavin to find a Star Destroyer is there (SW Adv #2)

Is this accurate?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Is this the Alan Tudyk-written story?

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Oh, Cassian. He sees two Wookiee children in an Imperial cargo hold and his first thought isn't "the empire stole children, let's rescue them" but "I wonder what intel we can get from this."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barriss_Coffee, Vthuil and BigAl6ft6 like this.