main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, he wanted the Empire to start over in a purer form in the Unknown Regions. That was his addition and desire. He even says as much in his internal thought processes.

The Contingency he allegedly received from Palpatine, on the other hand, seems the just been "burn the Empire down."

Vialco and SilentGuy66 like this.
  2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I hope this ends up being Operation Cinder: The Game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Given the way it was framed, I'm 90% certain this will be the story:

* Goes along with operation
    * Sees how horrible and evil it is
    * Kills her father
    * Goes to form a NEWER and BETTER Empire in the Unknown Regions.

If any of you have the time and like Kindle, I suggest you pick up Walt Williams (the writer's) recent biography where he talks about the biggest thing that irks him in video games. Specifically, that they're all about justifying the violence of the main characters. He very much likes writing stories about people who THINK they're heroes for killing people but end up just making things worse.

He wrote Mafia II, large parts of Bioshock II, and Spec Ops: The Line.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  4. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Geez, if that speculation about her father is true (Phasma novel spoilers)
    It would mean that an awful lot of the First Order higher ups now have patricide in their pasts: Kylo Ren, Phasma, Hux...coincidence?

Loving the performances in this game, though. I've never seen a game with this many characters I'm excited about.

TC

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Considering that, I wonder if Luke's cameo is going to show that dislike of violence justification; maybe Luke spends the entire scene avoiding fighting, and simply philosophizes with the Inferno Squad member to try and get them to leave the Empire.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That would definitely be an interesting twist. So far, everything we've seen of Inferno Squad shows they're not the puppy kicking fascists we'd expected them to be and Villain Protagonists. They seem to be heroic Imperials who just don't defect.

They're Wrong Genre Savvy and think they're Soontir Fel going to the Hand of Thrawn.

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like what they're doing with Palpatine in death. He always planned ahead so it makes sense he planned for this eventuality as well.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Uh, did you read the novel? Without going into spoilers, Iden and Del seem like fairly morally complex people - especially for unrepentant Imperials - but Gideon Hask is a psycho. The only reason I can imagine him not being on board with Operation Cinder is if he picks up on Rax's ideological crusade, because razing any planet that gives the Empire a funny look to the ground is right up his alley.

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Maybe this has been answered already but does anybody know how lengthy the single player campaign is supposed to be. A lot of shooter campaigns are between 10-15 hours on average (often depending on how quickly the player plays through the game). Hopefully this will be at least 10 hours long.

10. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015

Now I haven't read Inferno Squad so I might be completely off base here, but from what I understand Iden was completely behind both Death Stars and the destruction of Alderaan, seeing it as a planet of rebels and traitors. And while it's hard to say at this point what exactly Operation Cinder entails, we know it involved using weather control machines to destroy Naboo, and attacks against other planets. If Iden was morally ok with destroying entire planets and killing millions of innocent people using moon sized space stations, I don't think doing the exact same thing by different means (whether it's weather satellites, orbital bombardment, or just giving her a blaster and telling her to gun down civilians) is going to suddenly inspire a change of heart in her.

However, I see two possible exceptions:
    • She might see the "burn the Empire down!" side of Operation Cinder (if that indeed is it's purpose) as being wasteful when she wants to kick Rebel butt
    • She thinks some Imperial officers and/or planets don't deserve to be burned. Maybe part of their mission to Fondor is to devastate it, and while she saw Alderaan as a world full of rabble rousers she sees Fondor as a world full of loyal Imperial subjects, some sort of double standard like that.

Jedi Ben and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah uh my read from Inferno Squad and the original trailer is not that she'd be revolted by Operation Cinder, but she'd think "this is what those Rebels deserve!" At best, she'd think it was awful but that they brought it on themselves and it's really their fault for causing such violence and once they're all dead there can be peace.

And the trailer shows Starkiller Base with a voice over saying "I've waited 30 years for this" -- trailers can be deceptively cut sometimes, but the inference they want us to reach is that Iden is on SKB and she's waited 30 years for them to blast the NR capital into bits.

Pretty sure she'll end up being 100% gung ho about the FO, not seeking to create a better, EU-esque "we're really nice fascists!" but rather that she'll be one of the FO's strongest supporters.

Perhaps Dal might get misgivings -- there was a reason they were dropping hints about him, and the novel suggests he's the most decent of the group. But not Iden.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It'll certainly be interesting to see what's going on with Inferno by TFA. They'd all be pretty dang old to still be an active Special Forces unit.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, that's not the impression I'm getting from it, especially with the recent display of Operation: Cinder. They were making it very clear YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED and framing it in a sinister way which has Admiral Verso dancing arund the topic with his daughter. He also frames it as, "Will bring order back to the galaxy." Given Walt Williams history in gaming, I'm fairly sure this game will deal with the fact Verso believes she's the hero and gets a rude horrible awakening.

She might double down on her evil because, hey, why not, but I think the story is not going to go in the direction of being a bunch of psychos from the beginning.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure. I think there will definitely be some rude awakenings and some confrontations of who she is and that sort of thing. Given the writers involved, I'd expect nothing less. But I think at the end of the day she'll be consumed by vengeance, even if she has a character arc to get there.

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Okay, I think I might've brought this up before, but can we talk about how this...

[​IMG]

probably means that...

Gideon or Del is definitely going to die (whichever one that is). I mean, he's pointing a gun at Luke Skywalker. His chances of survival go way down just by doing that.

Even more interesting, this appears to take place on Jakku, I think? Indicating that Luke Skywalker actually did fight in the battle there.

16. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Only Luke wasn't at the Battle of Jakku. He was away doing his own thing. He only showed up at the very end when Ben was born.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Are we sure he wasn't? I don't think that's ever specifically stated.

18. Shadowrain10

Sep 12, 2017
    I believe they said that Luke was out doing some soul searching or whatever during that time, then came back at the end for like five minutes then left, but I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if Luke was in the Aftermath series that Chuck would have made a bigger deal about it.

19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I think that was the content of in-universe rumours from Empire's End; people talk about how Skywalker was said to have shown up only at the end before disappearing again. The pre-ROTJ stuff has conspicuously not been using Luke in the lead-up to whatever will be revealed in TLJ, so I took those "rumours" to be Wendig pointing out Luke's absence in his story, but also hinting that Luke could well have been there between the pages. Just cos Luke isn't mentioned doesn't mean he wasn't there, and the full details are obviously being kept back for future stories; Battlefront could well be one of them.

20. Shadowrain10

Sep 12, 2017
    We'll just have to wait and see, I wouldn't be opposed to Luke being there.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm guessing it's Del in the trailer -- and they went out of the way to tell us he was born on Coruscant when the Jedi were still around. I bet he defects. He's the only one with the temperament to, and perhaps it's due to Luke.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Interesting.

Even more interesting would be if Del does defect and ends up being a "final boss" of sorts, where the last battle of the game pits Iden (and possibly Gideon) against Del. It'd be a gut-puncher, and probably make for a good emotional ending.

La Calavera likes this.
  23. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I have suspect Del would defect after reading the novel. O remember then mentioning redemption and, your right, he's the only one that fits for. Hopefully he will survive.

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    What a great video! Oh man, I can't wait for this game. This is shaping up to be an awesome example of the canon being interwoven extremely well. Also- the way that messenger droid moved- so cool. Very ghostly, perfectly appropriate given it's role and the face it carries.

GrandAdmiralJello

Dude, Vardos kinda looks like Coruscant from orbit. I think you've got a great backup planet for your retirement now. :p

--Adm. Nick

JediBatman likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I noticed that. It's not a city planet, as far as I can recall from the book, but those orbital lines very much resemble Coruscant. It's interesting -- and we're told it's a very very Imperial sort of world. I look forward to seeing some non-concept art of it.

That said, pretty sure it's out in the middle of nowhere :p Coruscant's backup would be Corulag, I should think.

*I would have said Anaxes but... well, yeah. :(

Revanfan1 and AdmiralNick22 like this.