main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That fits Zelda history- after all, while there may be multiple Links and Zeldas, when it comes to Ganondorf- there can be only one.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would love for the NES Zelda games to get the Zero Mission/Samus Returns treatment.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They partially did- one of the Oracle games (Seasons, I believe) began as an LOZ remake (which is why it has most of the same bosses) and the cancelled third Oracle game (back when the series was going to be the Triforce series) would have been the AOL remake (the remaining Oracle game [Ages] was always going to be an original title).

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Before I played ALTTP, I heard the Dark World theme and the Skeleton Forest/Dark World Death Mountain theme in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I didn't care for either theme in SSBB, but when I heard them in ALTTP, I fell in love.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't recall the Smash rendition of the DW Death Mountain theme, but it is intend pretty incredible in ALTTP.

I mean, the DW Overworld theme rightly surpasses it but it's often overlooked despite being a near analog to the Imperial March for the game.

And the slight muffle/warble effect 16-bit audio had just further enhances its impact.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope that the Magical Sword and Silver Arrows return one day.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They probably won't return as major plot points, since they were effectively replaced by the Master Sword and light arrows in later games. But I could see them being included as DLC bonus weapons in either a current game or a HYWA sequel.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In the Oracle games, we see an intact, OOT-looking Hyrule Castle and Twinrova is alive. Does this suggest that the Oracle games were supposed to take place on the Child Timeline?

9. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Ganon likely revived Twinrova after he defeated the Hero of Time.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  11. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I imagine it'll go through the games the Hyrule Historia didn't, like the A Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild. But maybe it'll include additional material from older games as well?

12. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    No Breath of the Wild.

Not surprising after they chucked the timeline for the most recent installment.

13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Didn't it come out in Japan right before BotW?

Anyway, from what I hear, Breath of the Wild is slated to get an entire volume dedicated just to that game.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish A Link Between Worlds brought back Silver Arrows instead of using Light Arrows again. ALBW was supposed to be a tribute to ALTTP, so they should have brought back the weapons from ALTTP.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the Light Arrows have effectively replaced them at this point. One could also say that there's a different thematic context here too- the Silver Arrows have traditionally been present as a means of destroying Ganon. And, AFAIK, Ganon isn't in ALBW, thus not requiring the Silver Arrows be present.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    https://youtube.com/watch?t=59s&v=WaNU0uFr-Jo

I noticed that in Adventure of Link, the "force field" blocking the entrance to the Great Temple seems technological and that one of the bosses rides a metal horse. I wonder if the Sheikah used their tech to create the Temples like they did with the BOTW Guardians.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    edit: double post

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Funny you mention that- as I've been illustrating a follow-up book for Z2 for an xmas gift this year (really was meant to be an xmas gift last year when I got these kids Z2 on their Wii U VC, but, damn man, Z2 has a lot more enemies than Z1 and I couldn't finish drawing them all in time) and, for the opening story, I took the liberty of adding the Sheikah logo to The Door That Does Not Open since the only one who could seemingly enter besides the Hero/King was Impa- and the crystals used to lower the Binding Force were passed down by her family from the earlier King. So it made for a natural flourish of continuity.

However, I don't think that the Binding Force around the Great Palace is technological in nature- it's definitely magical, but anchored to the 7 palace locations/statues. If we assume the mysterious old man at the end of the game to be a sage akin to those that have guarded the Temple of Time in the past, then it's likely it was he who both brought the Triforce to the Great Palace and cast the spell that raised the Binding Force (also referred to as a "seal" in the Japanese translation, IIRC; which would also mirror the Seal of the Seven Sages/Wisemen used in the ALTTP backstory).

Alternatively, it's implied that the King himself cast the spell across Hyrule that makes the Triforce symbol appear on the hand of the Hero/King in the first place (though the wording allows the possibility of the King having someone else cast the spell on his order/behalf, we know Zeldas have shown limited to extensive magical abilities before, so it's not out of the question that the King cast it himself- especially since he had the power of the full, unified Triforce at his disposal.

So, if that is the case, it is possible that the King cast the Binding Force spell himself and the Sage is just there to look after things or administer the Final Test/summon Shadow Link. It's probably cleaner if the Sage seals himself inside (it being his choice better explains why he didn't use the Trifore of Courage to escape or some such) but the King could have been the one to remove the crystals from the statues after the Sage and Triforce were inside the Great Palace and, thus, activate the spell that was cast on them which, in turn, generated the Binding Force.

As for Rebonack/Iron Knuckle, I don't think it's necessarily mechanical, either- it could be (it has no legs [except in the cartoon, which doesn't 100% count] and Iron Knuckle exists independently from it, so he controls it somehow) but it could just be a possessed/magical statue/horse armor. But the horse being some kind of floating magnet mount isn't outside the realm of possibility for a Zelda dungeon enemy/obstacle- especially in light of the slightly steampunk-like mechanized elements found in Twilight Princess, which Z2 is set after (albeit in a different branch of the timeline).

[​IMG]

19. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I just fired back up Breath of the Wild after several months away. I left off at the Rucco Maag Shrine. Man, that was a pain. I finished it, but now I'm in the middle of nowhere, blindly trying to head towards the blips on my map that indicate the Divine Beasts quest. I'm starting to quickly remember why I put this game down, as the continuous on-foot journey is tedious, especially when I want to climb over a hill just for it to start raining.

At this point, a single strike from a Lizalfos can wipe out all four of my hearts. I'm wearing the Hylian knight armor set (though I'm wearing regular trousers with it). Any suggestions? Should I keep going towards the blips of the Divine Beasts, or should I do more shrines or something?

20. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Just explore. Try to find more shrines to get more stamina and hearts. Climb some towers to get fast travel points on your map that make traversal a lot quicker. Get some korok seeds to increase your inventory size. It's 100% about letting the environment guide you and just following whatever interesting thing you see on the horizon. You can accidentally stumble upon Divine Beast quests this way, I wouldn't worry about actively seeking them out. I went dozens of hours between them (although they do give you useful abilities upon completion).

Jedi Ben and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I've settled into a comfortable pattern of alternating exploring and doing a couple dozen side adventures with single Divine Beast quests. And I've still only scratched the surface of the overworld.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I need a larger quiver. I keep running out of arrows and need to fast travel back to Kakariko to restock.

Also, any tips on mounting and taming horses?

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Crouch and move very slowly. If you can, cook something up beforehand that gives you stealth bonus. Once you've caught one keep periodically pressing L to soothe it and eventually it'll remain tamed.

As for arrows try to stay just out of range of an enemy archer, and as they shoot at you if their arrows hit the ground you can round them up.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What do people make of both halves of the DLC? I'm not convinced it's for me.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Edit - Oh hell, again? Upgrade the damn boards already.